22 CHeetah

crankshaft

Anyone have any good info on the 22 CHeetah? Did some googling and most info came up over 10 years old. I'm taking that is it never really caught on? I'm looking to build something fast and th 223 wssm and the 22 CHeetah caught my attention. I will be using this mostly for varmints around a few hundred yards and am not at all concerned with short barrel life. Can anyone point me in a direction with some info on the cheetah? Any help would greatly be appreciated! Thinking of a slow twist so I can shoot 40-55gr bullets.

The .22 CHeeta kinda' died a few years back. The short barrel life, which you're not concerned about, and having to fire form cases did 'er in. The best current replacement is the .22/.243. Simply neck down .243 Win. brass, load 'um and shoot. These large for caliber cases preform best with heavy for caliber bullets, like 70g.-80g. The lighter bullets just won't stand up to the high velocities that these can produce. For bullets of the weight you're wanting to shoot, I'd go with no bigger of a case than the .22/250 AI. And then, you'll be fire forming cases. Most .22/250 AIs shoot rather well when fire forming,, good enough for vermin, anyway... Got no use for the WSMs or the WSSMs. You'd have more luck obtaining .22/250 or .243 Win. ammo/cases than WSSMs, with the current component shortage. JMO,, to each his own.........

I have a 22-243, 10 twist, it shoots everything from a 40 gr up to a 62 gr. I shoot the 52 gr Sierra most of the time. It shoots the 52 around 4150 fps and the 40s around 4550 fps. Accuracy is sub-half with just about everything I have shot in it. So far I have had no issues with bullet deformation.

I am gonna have one done once the blank gets here, I have a 22-250 ai now running the 75 a max at 3325 and like it, but want a little more.

I prefer the Jaybird over the Cheetah. Has a better neck shoulder design, and when using generic .243 brass case shrinkage will be minimal. The .30" neck length with the 35 degree shoulder will promote a pretty good barrel life as well. The fastest 22 centerfire that I know of is the .224 Vias, and this is based off an improved 6.5x55 case. The 6mm Vias will push a 70 grain bullet faster than a Swift can push a 50 grain bullet. (around 4150 fps)
gary

Thanks fellas. I am also considering the 22-243 as well. Everything is at a shortage now so I'm not really worried about components. 22 bullets seem to be easier to find though. If I go with a 22-243 would it be as simple as necking down 243 brass?

If you go with the standard 22-243 it's a simple matter of necking a 243 case down. It can be done in a single step but I prefer to use two steps. I use a Redding 243 bushings die. The first step is done with a .260 bushing then finished with a .252

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.