22 250 vs 243 advice.

Since you live in Ireland another option is the Schultz and Larsen rifles. Their Classic DL comes with either a walnut stock or synthetic stock with a choice of 56cm, 60cm or 65cm barrels all with a 1:10" twist rate for the 22-250. This twist rate would allow you to shoot up to at least the 69 grain Sierra TMK projectile.
The barrels are cut rifled and lapped plus the advantage of being a switch barrel system so you can change calibres if you wish to.
It appears that all barrels are available threaded ready for a moderator.
My wife and I have 5 Schultz and Larsen rifles between us and all of them shoot sub 1/2 MOA groups. I have shot hares at ranges beyond 450m with my Victory 22-250 and have been able to spot hits without a moderator.
Here is a link to the UK agents, http://www.greatdanerifles.com/index.html

Thank you, I've never heard of this make before. I will certainly have I look at these also.

Foxing- https://www.sporting-rifle.com/features/foxing-calibres/
243 Win

Although most people think of the .243 Win as a stalking calibre, its origins lie in the pursuit of varmints. A 100-grain bullet may be the default choice for many, but most rifles will shoot better with some lighter fodder. Indeed, most hunters never really get to see the true capabilities of a .243 Win until they downsize to 70 grains or less. It is here that you will see what a tremendous calibre it is for foxing.

Without a decent moderator, the .243 Win does induce enough muzzle flip on recoiling to cause loss of sight picture. This is not at all ideal, but clamp a moderator on the end of your rifle and it's a different animal entirely. Although it may be the heaviest recoiling of the shortlist, moderation makes it only marginally more noticeably than a .22-250 Rem.

Rifle choice and ammunition selection will never be a problem for what is probably the UK's most popular calibre, and for the handloader there are plenty of excellent bullets available for experimentation. It doesn't normally take much to find ammunition to suit a .243 Win, and even factory rifles with factory ammo can return less than ¾in groups with a bit of trial and error.

Most importantly, though, it's a very forgiving calibre when hunting. For me as a gamekeeper/stalker and a paid fox controller in the Hebrides, I need a calibre that is going to put a fox down and keep it down. Like many, I have rotated my gun cabinet through the 'in' calibres of the day, but I keep coming back to the .243 Win. Loaded with 100- or 105-grain bullets, even if bullet placement is a bit off, it will knock a fox off its feet where it stands. The same cannot be said for some of the smaller calibres. Even at 300 yards, the energy is more than 1,000ft/lb, whereas a .223 Rem is almost half that.

The weather on Skye can be unpredictable, with winds whipping up in seconds. The broken, rough terrain makes locating a dropped fox hard enough even when you know where it is. I am not shooting super long ranges, and nor do I want to think about complex ballistics before pulling the trigger – that's for prairie dog hunters and target shooters. With relatively cheap ammo on offer, the .243 Win does everything I want it to do and is my number one choice.

220-swift-250x300.jpg

There's no doubting the .220 Swift can put down a fox, but it loses out in comparison to the .22-250, which offers cheaper ammo, greater rifle choice and is friendlier to barrels
It is possible to load a .243 Win very hot indeed, especially with 55-grain bullets. Even with factory loads, these return more than 3,800fps MV, and will vastly reduce the life of your barrel. However, from 70 grains upwards bullet velocities are more modest. If you're worried about flat shooting, the 70-grain bullet offers an excellent compromise. Only dropping 5.5-inches at 300 yards with a one-inch high zero at 100 yards, it still delivers more energy than any of the other calibres listed here.

I have both, love both. My 22-250 is a 14 twist, limited to 62 grn bullets. I wish I had a 10 or 12 twist.

The 22-250 with a fast twist (1-8" or faster) will be the most interesting. One can go to the 90 grain bullets with the fastest twist and the wind drift compared to the 243 becomes almost indistinguishable.

Further, that 52 gr drift looks OK for foxes, especially if one goes a little upwind with the crosshairs.

Sako makes an excellent rifle. All of mine have been stellar. I was in your shoes about a year ago and went with a 22-250 shooting 52 grain Bergers 3850 FPS. Not too easy on the barrel but they do a number in coyotes and are more accurate than most people to 400 yards. Being a flat base bullet the wind does affect them more so than a VLD But if most shots average 1-250 yards and you OCCASIONALLY push to 400, I would strongly consider the 22-250 with a 50-60 grain class bullet.
Have several SAKO's... very fine rifles that are EXTREMELY accurate

The 22-250 or the 243 are good choices. Without getting faster barrel twists and get the rifle off the rack and by holding down the weight of the bullet will work. No known if you hand load or buy across the counter. Powder charges are low, and the recoil is light.

If going with a 6 I'd look for a 6 Creedmoor and consider 87 Berger VLD's..
I much prefer it to a .243 but that's just me. I'm using those bullets at 3,400.
They hold up quite well in the wind and perform well on game.. It's the one to beat..

The Ruger American Predator 22-250 Rem. is also made with a 1:10 twist.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 10.38.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 10.38.29 AM.png
    71.5 KB · Views: 119
Hello guys as the heading above just looking some feedback. The purpose is for foxing.
Currently I am using a. 222 on foxes 40 grain. With the wind my problems seem to start. My maximum range will probably never go past 350-400yards on the land. Most of the foxes we hit are mainly between 100-200 but we spot the further. I am using a tikka varmint. 222 and it groups 1/2 @ 100 yards. I've tried it in the wind at targets and that's when my problems start beyond 100 looking at the groups they are not great. I mainly like the 222 because I can see the hits because of no recoil which helps. I also own a rem 700 in 308 for deer which is fine but its too much for foxing.
I've a few questions.
Which caliber should I go for I am looking at the 243 and 22 250. I have never fired either before. Do you believe these are a better choice for my needs?
1. Will I see the hits if I fit a surrpressor to either? Is there much muzzle flip?
2. How will these rounds perform in wind out as far as say 400 yards max on the ground we shot on?
3. I've read that both calibers can be sore on the barrel more so than my 222 and 308. What amount of shooting should be done before risk of overheating or damage?
4. Is there another heavier round I should look at for my 222 and would it make much difference against the wind?
5. Or is there another caliber I should maybe consider?
The rifle I was thinking of was a Sako laminated varmint if I do purchase. These questions are maybe basic but I am still only learning about all these calibers and any replys will be great help thanks.
Not only have you received many good, honest opinions & facts it sounds like YOU are taking your time & making good, solid, fact-based decisions. Both of these are great rifles, great calibers.
I'm a staunch believer in a Savage 1:12 twist with a Hornady 50 grain leaving at 4000 fps. It's a laser & flies steady up to around 720 yards. The .243 may give you more knock-down power. Saw a guy drop a moving coyote at slightly past 600 yards with a .22-250 & I believe a 55 grain bullet. You'll be good either way. (Heck I'd be tempted to stay with what you have! JMO) Good luck.

Are you saving the fur? I'm guessing both of these will tear up a fox fur pretty good.

Sako makes an excellent rifle. All of mine have been stellar. I was in your shoes about a year ago and went with a 22-250 shooting 52 grain Bergers 3850 FPS. Not too easy on the barrel but they do a number in coyotes and are more accurate than most people to 400 yards. Being a flat base bullet the wind does affect them more so than a VLD But if most shots average 1-250 yards and you OCCASIONALLY push to 400, I would strongly consider the 22-250 with a 50-60 grain class bullet.

I like what arch408 had in mind I shot many fox in 80s and 90s and the 17 Remington was my go to round it's kills fox like lightning and does not tear them up

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.