22-250 or 243

Why don't you just keep it simple and go with a .243 Winchester?
There's nothing complicated about the .22/.243. Run new .243 brass through the sizing die, trim the neck for squareness and load it. Nothing more required. The 6xc is even easier. Order 100 pcs. from Superior Shooting Systems, check 'um out when they arrive (I just ran mine through the FL size die) and load 'um. Nothing here that's any more "complicated" than loading .243s. Both of these are SA cartridges. I've built several 6MM Rem.s and 6MM Ackleys, both which are 'better' in a LA.

Last edited:
I shoot several 22-250's, but all are slower twist barrels (12 twist). Kind of always wanted an eight or nine twist barrel in 22-250, but so far have resisted. The .243 Winchester is OK at best. If your action will handle the 6mm Remington, I'd go that route. Might also look at the 6XC. Nothing but a 22-250 necked up to 6mm, and a very nice round. The 6/250AI round will do 3000fps with a 105 grain Amax, and maybe another 50fps with some seriously hot loads. But it does 3000fps with four grains less powder!

The problem with the .243 is the shape of the case, and not the volume. Neck is far too short for a 6mm bullet. The T.P. is right in the throat, and that leads to a shorter barrel life. Ackley tried a version, and it was a tad better, but still nothing to write home about. The 6/250AI isn't much better, but the 6XC isn't bad. Yet a generic 6mm Remington will have a much longer barrel life, and the longer neck helps you with the 100+ grain bullets.

Looking at long range 22 center fires, I like the Jaybird. Kind of like an improved 22-250 built off a .243 case. A far better design than Jim Carmichel's designs. Here's a round that is built for the 80 grain bullet from the start, and you factor in an eight twist barrel to give you that long range 22 that will perform very well. Cases are formed out of generic .243 brass, and trimmed to 2.00" Kinda like a .243 AI with a 35 degree shoulder, but necked down to .223.
gary
6mm Remington having more barrel life than a .243 Winchester? It burns 4grs more powder. My Dad's buddy has a custom .243 that his Dad bought in the early 1970s that has had 3000+ rounds down the barrel and still shoots lights out. All they shot in it was 85gr Sierra HPBTs. That rifle was fired 100-200 shots at a time without being cleaned and while the barrel was still hot. The barrel was nothing special either, just an old Shaw that has a reputation of being a cheap okay barrel manufacturer.

I too have to say there isnt going to be spit differnce in barrel life between a 6mm and a 243. Ive shot both for years and also the neck on a 243 is plenty long enough to hold bullets and the 6mm isnt going to be a bit more accurate. After saying all tht i prefer the 6mm for the little extra velocity it brings to the table but to be honest if i wasnt looking at deer and coyotes were the biggest thing id shoot id probably opt for a 22250.

6mm Remington having more barrel life than a .243 Winchester? It burns 4grs more powder. My Dad's buddy has a custom .243 that his Dad bought in the early 1970s that has had 3000+ rounds down the barrel and still shoots lights out. All they shot in it was 85gr Sierra HPBTs. That rifle was fired 100-200 shots at a time without being cleaned and while the barrel was still hot. The barrel was nothing special either, just an old Shaw that has a reputation of being a cheap okay barrel manufacturer.

I'm not calling you out on the 3000 shots and still shooting lights out. I just don't believe you!!!! Half that maybe (and I still doubt it), but will accept a third of that number.
gary

I'm not calling you out on the 3000 shots and still shooting lights out. I just don't believe you!!!! Half that maybe (and I still doubt it), but will accept a third of that number.
gary

Whatever you think. I've shot the rifle and know what it does and what its been through. I don't know when the .243 became a barrel burner.:rolleyes: I'll stick with the .243 Winchester and you can continue playing around with custom chamberings and tinkering.

Just wondering about a new barrel for a long range coyote rifle. A 22-250 with a twist to shoot 75g or 80g A- max or just go with the 243?

Lots of info already but I thought I'd add one more bit. I debated the same question a few years ago and decided to re-barrel a savage with a Mcgowen 1:8 twist 22-250. It's strictly a a long range varmint set up and pushing the 75 A max at 3300FPS is incredible for bucking the wind. I'm very happy with the 22-250, I've killed a coyote at 500 yards in a 10mph crosswind, and a handful of rock chucks at the same range.
It's a fun setup with virtually no recoil, and its kinda cool to see your buddies jaw drop when you smack rocks at 900 yards with a .224cal :D

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.