22-250 vs 22-250 AI

devins

I am having my SAKO 22-250 rebarreled. Should I stay 22-250 or go Ackley improved. I am leaning toward staying standard because I have plenty of new brass and my reloading dies. I love my .260 Ackley Improved but that makes a capable round into a dramatically more effective round, at least for me. I feel like my 22-250 already could trow a prairie dog about as high as I wanted to. What do you all think?

I say 22-250AI with a fast 7 to 8 twist barrel so you can launch bullets in the 70 to 90grain wieght range at 3100+ fps ...

i only say this because thats what i have been thinking of doing once i burn the barrel out on my 22-250...

you may have all that new brass laying around but they are just a fireform away from being AI'd.... you can just load standard 22-250 loads and use them to shoot prarie dogs while you fireform them... then you woud be able to load the heavies and have a very capable long range coyote gun... sounds like a win/win situation to me!

Orch

That is the way we are leaning. It is a Select Match Shilen in 1:8 inch so thinking to go the AI and load what it likes the best regardless of super fast or not, but then have the capabilities to go heavier and fast if needed. Thanks.

I say that is the way we are leaning originally I was leaning standard and then we talked about it more and am leaning to the AI now because of what said in the last post.
:)

I say 22-250AI with a fast 7 to 8 twist barrel so you can launch bullets in the 70 to 90grain wieght range at 3100+ fps ...

i only say this because thats what i have been thinking of doing once i burn the barrel out on my 22-250...

you may have all that new brass laying around but they are just a fireform away from being AI'd.... you can just load standard 22-250 loads and use them to shoot prarie dogs while you fireform them... then you woud be able to load the heavies and have a very capable long range coyote gun... sounds like a win/win situation to me!

Orch

I am on board with the 1-7 twist... I have a 27" barreled 22.250 AI with the 1-7 at first I was shooting the custom 90gr from North West Custom Projectile at the time they work great out to 1k. I don't think NWcP is in the game any more.. But, now days there's more than one 90gr to pick from.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.