22-250 advice

nowler

hi folks

am hoping to order an rpa quadlite in 22-250, with a 26" barrel.... i am presuming the twist rate is 1 in 14, but may be 1 in 12....

any advice on best brass, powders and heads to use, and in what combinations have people had success with them.

i'll be using it mainly for roe deer and varmint competitions.

any advice gratefully received

derek

I use Winchester brass, RL15 powder, and anything in the 50-55 gr range should shoot pretty well. I like the 55gr V-max and 52gr A-max.

Derek ,
Not sure if you can get the A.D.I. powders in Scotland ? In the USA they are distributed by Hodgdon . AR 2208 / Varget is really excellent in the .22/250 giving high velocity (3700 - 3800 fps) and good accuracy with the 55 and 50gn bullets . Not temperature sensitive either .
The Sierra 55 gn Gameking is highly recommended by some for Roe .It's not match accurate though in my experience .
I have found the V Max and Nosler BT bullets effective on game from 2 kg rabbits to 70 kg kangaroos . Some claim the polymer tipped bullets aren't up to a 15 kg Roe . I'd have to see it to believe it .
smile.gif

[ 11-12-2004: Message edited by: Aussie ]

hi folks

thanks for the imput

hogdon powders are the norm here in the uk, and i am familiar with varget with my 308.

i am confident a btip will work on roe, considering other things i.ve seen them shot with..

rifle comes in 2 -4 weeks. time to start prepping brass i suppose

cheers

derek

Derek ,
I worked up to a warm load of 36.8 gns of AR 2208 (Varget) with the 55 gn V Max which gave 3650 fps out of a 23.5 inch barrel . 38.2 gns gave 3812 fps with the 50 gn Nosler ballistic tip (maximum load). That was using Remington brass and primers .
Win. 760 is another good powder in the .22/250 . 40.5 gns gave me 3630 fps with the 55 V Max . 40 gns with the 52 Sierra Match King was my most accurate load and gave about 3650 fps . Both are around maximum .
Many 14 inch twist barrels won't shoot the 55gn polymer tipped bullets accurately .
Have fun trimming those .22/250 cases if you decide to run warm loads ! Frankly I found the .22/250 was a real disappointment after owning a Swift for 20 years . Mine's long gone .

hi aussie

thanks for the help. my main reason for buying it is for foxes and roe deer, and to lift the local deer society varmint shoot aggregate trophy, that my .222 lost me this year....

50 grain v-max and custom heads in the 50 - 52 grain range are what i have in mind. i am not worried about pushing it super hot, just super accurate out to 300m.....

i'll let you know how the development goes

derek

Derek

I have 22-250 AI, most accurate loads are 39.5g RL22, fed match primer, under a 75g moly A-max, (1 in 8 twist barrel) 3250 fps and in the .2's" when I do my bit. Usually gets me a place in my local Deer society shoots. Very effective on varmints but not Roe, which I feed on 63g Sierra flat base sp under 36g Vit 140, when in Scotland.

I'm shooting 38.7 gr H380 and 52 gr JLK LD bullets out of a Cooper rifle with a 14 twist barrel. Avg velocity is 3550 and the rifle pretty consistently shoots in the .3's. I'm using Norma brass, prepped and neck turned, with Federal match primers.

[ 11-19-2004: Message edited by: COBrad ]

Hey Cobrad tell us something about your cooper,which model? That load you listed seems a little on the slow side.What scope you useing? What have you killed with it?I want a walking varminter,those cooper rifles seem relatively light.
smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts