CZ 550 22-250 load advice

Majja13

I stumbled into a good load right off the bat before I really knew a lot about reloading for a rifle. I have always shot 40 gr vmax on almost max charge of Varget. I am wanting to start tinkering to see if I can get it better. The Rifle is a CZ 550 american Varmint with a 26" 1:14 twist barrel in a HS precision stock.

Where should I start. Should I stay with the 40's or more up to 50 - 55. When we go out to put some hurt on P-dogs it is usually in the windy plains of Wyoming.

morning, I shoot the 53gr.TSX and 55gr. barnes TTSX in my 22-250.
Extremely accurate. 4320 powder. same twist. I have 3 boxes of 50gr raptors
50 bullets to a box for $10.00 a box.
the 52gr. sierra match bt hp is a very accurate bullet. TUM

I shoot 50gr Vmaxs in mine and it shoots bug holes. The 50gr vmax is a boattail the 55gr a flat bottom. I would look at the 53gr eldm to help buck the wind.

I shoot the 52 gr Berger in mine along with H 380. Great accuracy. Be aware that as you move up in bullet weight the length of the bullet generally increases. The 53 gr V-max will not stablize in mine with the 1/14 twist I have. I tried it.

I shoot the 52 gr Berger in mine along with H 380. Great accuracy. Be aware that as you move up in bullet weight the length of the bullet generally increases. The 53 gr V-max will not stablize in mine with the 1/14 twist I have. I tried it.
I have some of the 53 gr V-max's, they were shooting ok not what some of my lighter loads do.

With the CZ's since they use a CM rather than Stainless barrel my advice would be to stay off of max charges to help with barrel life.

The most accurate out of the box rifle I've ever owned is my 527 in .204 Ruger which I shot out far faster than I should have by overdoing it. Also, you really need to keep it clean and watch for carbon build up in the first six inches or so.

Unfortunately they tend to run slow twists in their varmint calibers so 45-50gr will probably be as heavy as you can run.
Which is fine and some day it will get a new tube. I will keep it a 22-250 as I do like the round a lot for what I use it for. I have a 6.5 Creedmoor for when I want to truly shoot the heavy's.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.