Cz 550 243 ?

Anyone have a CZ 550 american 243 1:10 twist, how does it shoot and what bullet works best with that twist?

I can't help with the exact rifle you are inquiring about but can tell you I really like CZ rifles. I have played with the 550 varmint and was impressed. I have a couple rimfires too that shoot lights out and have had excellent luck with build quality and accuracy right out of the box.

The only real negative is there aren't a whole lot of aftermarket items for them nor are there a lot of smith's that really familiar with them. I have done some work on my own though and I would think a good smith, willing to take the time, could do anything needed.

HTH,

I had a CZ .308 which is the same model and magazine as the .243. I also am a CZ fan.

The trigger needs to be re-built and I had mine bedded. Other (better) shooters than me got it into an average of 0.5" at 100 yards. I took it to Africa and it performed flawlessly. I traded it in a moment of weakness.

The .243 with 1 in 10" twist should be able to stabilise all hunting weight projectiles. My son is on his 2nd, 1 in 10" .243W barrel. He uses at least a 24" barrel to keep the .243's obnoxious muzzle blast as far away as possible.

Edit: We use 100 grain projectles exclusively as he hunts larger game up to 75kg liveweight.
I don't know about the longer VLD style of projectile but I'd be surprised if it didn't stabilise them.

Thanks guys
Code4, did you just have the action bedded ? I did notice on mine that the barrel is not centered in the stock, it almost touches on one side.

The action was bedded and the barrel floated. My gunsmith also beds the first 1" or so of the barrel shank. If mine was off centre I did not notice it. As I stated the trigger was rebuilt to remove the set trigger function and broke very cleanly. I like a 2 1/2 pound pull on my hunting rifles.

They are a solid rifle that will perform in adverse conditions and I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoyed mine.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.