22-250 AI

Jimm

Hey Folks ,

Anyone have any exp with this cal and fast twist with 80 or 90 gr. smks ?, or any bullets in this wt. range for that matter .

If accuracy and 3400 fps could be achieved with a 90 smk it would be a contender.

as always , thanks for your help , Jim B.

I think that 3400fps with a 90gr pill would be a strech but it is a great round I've seen guys that run 75gr A-max out at close to 3400fps with awsome accuracy out of a 26" barrel , maybe with a longer tube it might be possible but I would think you'll be getting into scary pressures.
waht is it that your wanting a "contender" for?
the 22-243Ai is a great next step and then you would be able to get closer to your velocity goals and do so with better brass and still be able to use a short action.

Jimm,

3400 fps with a 90 gr pill would be a pretty hot load but you should see around that with an 80 gr bullet.

Ever consider the 100 gr Wildcat ULD RBBTs??? Velocity drops but BC goes way up, right at 0.600 from my limited testing.

Kirby Allen(50)

JD, thanks for the info, "contender was just a way of referring to a load that would be in the running ballistically for top honors as far as drop and drift . So your thinking is that the 22/243AI would produce 3400 safely with a 90 gr. smk ?

Kirby, ditto on the thanks , I guess I didn't even know about a 100 gr 22 cal pill from Richard . Which reminds me to ask , do you make a 22Allen magnum?

as always , thanks guys for the info , Jim B.

Jimm,

Yep, its the 224 AM. Just started the testing and development a month or so ago. I have been held up a bit by waiting for a neck reamer to get in so I do not have to turn my case necks. Is a real pain.

Anyway, got the 107 gr ULD RBBT up to 3400 fps but had some bullet failures in the 1-7 twist barrel. I suspect a 1-8 6 groove would be a much better choice.

The 100 gr pills do not seem to come apart as easily but I have not tested them as hard either yet.

The 224 AM is based on a full length 270 WSM case necked down to 22 cal with the Allen Magnum shoulder and body configuration.

I am waiting on the neck reamer to do more testing to determine if I have enough case taper in the design. I was getting some sticky extractions at +3350 fps with the 107 gr pills with no other pressure signs so want to test this more before submitting the specs for dies.

From early limited testing it looks like 3400 fps will be easy with the 107 gr ULD RBBT and we will see on the 100 gr ULD RBBT. I may have to try another barrel as this 1-7 3 groove seems a bit hard on bullets.

Also, this is only a 26" barrel as well.

I expect the neck reamer to show up anytime so when that gets here I will fix my chamber and get back to testing. From early drop numbers it looks like the 100 gr and 107 gr bullets are producing BCs in the .600 and .625 range but this is from very limited testing so much more testing needs to be done.

There are several guys shooting Richards 100 gr ULD RBBTs with good results.

303783.jpg

Here is a pic of the 100 gr ULD RBBT. Those are 140 gr and 160 gr 7mm Accubonds flanking the skinny, long 22 cal bullet. Not to bad, a 22 cal bullet longer then a 140 gr 7mm Accubond!!!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Jimm, I agree with Kirby, and from my experience 3,400 fps with the 90 Mk in a 22/250AI is highly unlikely.

The short history of the 90 grain Mk bullet shows that it is also unlikely to hold together at 3,400 fps, as it was designed for use in the .223. I am aware of a few instances where the bullet came apart at velocities below 3,400fps.

I am using a 22/250AI with 28 degree shoulder that has a capacity of 49.2 grains, and it achieved 3,176 fps with the Sierra 90 grain Match King. (44.5 grains WMR)

Although my 22/250AI has a 1 in 10 twist, out of curiosity I chronographed bullets heavier than the 69 Sierra to see what velocities it was capable of, realising that they would not stabilise. For the record:

69 grain Sierra Mk - 3,430 fps
75 grain Hornady Amax - 3,338 fps
80 grain Sierra MK - 3,267 fps
85 grain Wildcat ULD - 3,176 fps
90 grain Sierra MK - 3,176 fps
100 grain Wildcat UlD - 2,952 fps

Hope that the above is of some help. Regards, Brian

Kirby ,

Good food for thought , and you answered a lot of questions I was ready to ask .

Please add more to this post as you are able to . I am wondering what you think will be the max velocity with a 100 gr Wildcat at 30 " bbl length and a 7.5 twist Schneider 5P ..........AND have half moa accuracy and get 5 or so loads out of a piece of brass . I know , next I'll ask you to predict the next time Mt St. Helens goes . Just talking projections based on your past exp. Bbl life and all that is a consideration . I realize tha t you are involved in many projects as well as trying to keep us addicts supplied with what ever project we may have sent you . Will be looking forward to progress reports as they become available .

Just don't forget Bufflerbobs pitiful Lil 7AM /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif . He is going to need it bad if he carries out his plans to roam around half of Idaho on foot this fall . Also , It would be good for him to have it when we antelope hunt this fall as I don't want to walk all over cremation looking for his antelope that he shot with his Ruger 10/22 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thanks Kirby , Jim Brown

Just food for thought but I have heard that Hornady is might make some heavier jacketed 22 cal bullets. I cant remeber what ones but they were pretty heavy for caliber and polymer tipped.

I will try to figure out what ones tommorrow. I have always liked the looks of the Ackley 22-250, takes that big sloped shoulder out of the picture!!!

good luck Jimm

steve

With a thick jacket,the new Amax with a BC of 0.453 should work pretty well. Now just need to decide how big of a case to put behind it.

I can tell you exactly what a 22-250 ackley will do with a 100 grain pill, 2900 FPS. I'm shooting a 22 dasher and I get with a max load 2865 with the 100 grain wildcat. kirby as far as b.c goes, I think the 90 grain sierra berger JLK are around .6. Remember the JLK had a published B.C around .575. I've been running .7 for my drop charts and have been right on. I sure would hope that going from the 90 to a 100 or 107 grain pill you would gain a 1 point in the b.c to make of for the lost speed.

Jimm,

I am actually very excited about the 224 AM and hope to draw a Montana Pronghorn permit again this year. This is kind of what I designed the 224 AM for. Wanted to offer legit 600 yard range in a light weight rifle with minimul recoil, even unbraked for game up to the size of small deer.

My idea was to offer the yote hunter a rifle that he could use for calling at 50 yards and the next moment reach out 1/2 mile and hammer a yote way out there with the same rifle.

I really have no idea what she will top out at. I am sure there will be some tweaking needed to try to ease those long bullets out as gental as possible yet still get as much velocity as possible.

I think it will be a balancing act between RPMs and velocity. Just need to see where they allow us to go. I know it has +3400 fps potential with the 100 gr class bullets, getting every bullet to land in a tight group all the time is the challange!!!

Will keep everyone posted.

Kirby Allen(50)

Jimm, The 22/250 AI has a Shilen SS 24.5 inch barrel with 1 in 10 twist. The barrel used to be 25.25 inches, and was chambered for the .224 Clark for 1600 shots before being set back and rechambered to the 22/250AI.

Although I lost 450 - 500 fps by going back to the 22/250AI from the 224 Clark, the primary reason I did so was that the Rem 700 SA magazine length of 2.800 inches just isn't long enough for that case with the long heavier bullets.

However, the Rem 700 SA works well with the 22/250AI, as it feeds smoothly, and there is ample room in the magazine to chase the lands as the throat erodes.

I have just purchased a second hand REM 700 LA in 270W, and in about 6 weeks time hope that my gunsmith will have fitted the Krieger 26 inch 1 in 6.5 twist barrel and chambered it to the .224 Clark.

I will then be able to try my supply of Richards 100 grain ULD's that were built on the J4 jacket. It will be interesting to see if they hold together at the anticipated velocities of 3200 - 3300 fps. Regards, Brian.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.