22-24 inch barrel 7mm velocities.

Buddro

I'm deciding between .284, 7 mag and 7 saum for a shortish lightish build. I just want to ask what kind of real world velocities people are getting out of 22-24 inch barrels and 170ish grain bullets with these cartridges. Yes I have searched on here and googled it, but more data never hurts. At this point I'm not looking for other cartridge options. For those who must know I will almost definitely use the 168 grain berger vld's I already use in my heavier 7 mag but I'm not married to them.

Coal or at least if you are running in longer or short actions would be relevant as well. I will be running a defiance xm action.

I'm interested also as im building a 7saum with 18-20" barrel suppressed. Can't speak for 284, but in my researching the same subject, seems to me the more efficient 7saum loses less fps for every inch shorter than the 7rem mag. That could be negligible tho. 168 & 180 class bullets seemed to be the popular choice.

Looks like I got my answer. The gun is actually my girlfriends build she couldn't decide what she wanted so I was trying to dig up a little extra data to help. She decided to go with the saum knowing we can always rebarrel to the .284 later if she sees a reason.

Nuub I know I know I saw someone post data for a 17 inch barreled saum I will see if I can find it and post a link.

Because someone is likely to correct me, I said the build is going to be on a defiance xm action. If she chose to go 7 mag I am sure we would have had to go long rather than xm. But I already figured she would wind up going with one of the shorter cartridges. 7 mag data would still be relevant as a reference point.

It looks like her mind is made up but I would still enjoy seeing what you guys are getting out of your builds.

She will like the recoil of 7 saum better. If you go with saum, might want to consider a long action to get full benefit of the longer 168&180 bullets.

She will like the recoil of 7 saum better. If you go with saum, might want to consider a long action to get full benefit of the longer 168&180 bullets.
The XM is a medium length action allowing 3.2" COAL. Max length on a SAUM with even the 195 seated about the neck shoulder junction should be shorter than that.

Last edited:
Defiance advertises max coal of 3.2 with their xm length action. This build is gunna be more of a 600 yard and in coues and mule deer gun. As such I don't expect to have any need to step up past 170s in weight. I haven't honestly looked at coal on the saum but I am sure we will be able to seat 168s reasonably in the xm. We do want to keep the action as short as we can, we backpack in as often as we can and that little bit of length and weight in the action really does make a difference.

Defiance advertises max coal of 3.2 with their xm length action. This build is gunna be more of a 600 yard and in coues and mule deer gun. As such I don't expect to have any need to step up past 170s in weight. I haven't honestly looked at coal on the saum but I am sure we will be able to seat 168s reasonably in the xm. We do want to keep the action as short as we can, we backpack in as often as we can and that little bit of length and weight in the action really does make a difference.
If building from scratch and without 7SAUM brass easily obtained, have you looked at 7SS? Brass, dies, reamers are all available.

I suggest the new bighorn zermatt origin medium action. For 920$ and 3.23" case length, it's perfect for long saum/wsm cases. The action shares the lone peak medium inlet. There are new Hawkins medium M5 oberndorf and hunter dbm in the way. I'll probably be doing a 7saum or 7sherman mega on one, M5 hunter bdm with modified 3 round mdt xm magazine.

I have a Ruger SA chambered in 284 Win with mag box of 3.1" Custom reamer with a 1 1/2 degree throat angle with freebore to seat 168 VLD kissing the lands OAL 3.050". 24" barrel. Getting 2925 fps with 52 gr of RL-17 Win brass and Fed 210 primers.

Also shooting the 120 Nosler ballistic tip. 58 gr of RL-17 yields 3457 fps same brass and primers. Seating die setting was same as 168 VLDs.

I shared my rifle's load data please work up loads, being safe, every rifle is different.

I suggest the new bighorn zermatt origin medium action. For 920$ and 3.23" case length, it's perfect for long saum/wsm cases. The action shares the lone peak medium inlet. There are new Hawkins medium M5 oberndorf and hunter dbm in the way. I'll probably be doing a 7saum or 7sherman mega on one, M5 hunter bdm with modified 3 round mdt xm magazine.
Looks like the medium action is gaining some traction! If only we could have some sort of standard between them

I will look into the bighorn. We aren't certain how we feel about waiting a year for the defiance.

I am familiar with the ss line, while they are interesting we are gunna stick with cartridges that are proven competition cartridges. I also like the availability of norma brass for the saum even if we have to shop around a bit to find it. We are looking at a 6 month to 1 year wait to get the action in we have some time to dig up brass.

It does look like Sherman brass is agd now, If I'm not mistaken when I looked into them on my last build it was reformed Winchester brass.

Either way for a build for her I still want to stick with a more common cartridge.