2019 Leupold

I think is commical people complain about extra weight a 34mm objective adds- if that's going to make or break you, better hit the gym, loose some weight, or find another way to carry your rifle while humpin mountains.

I never "hit they gym" when preparing for hunting. I scout and I hike with a pack. Regarding 3 extra ounces on your gun, for those guys who actually do mountain hunt, we know that is not an insignificant amount. 3 extra ounces strapped to your waist is fine. 3 ounces on the end of your arm that is constantly being shifted for balance over 5 or 6 days as you move through terrain is quite a different thing. The weight is on top of the gun which requires more grip. Again, fine for a tree stand but sidehill for a week on poor footing and you'll know the difference between a well balanced gun and one doesn't carry quite so well.

On the upside though, hitting the gym will make a guy look better in a swim suit.

I never "hit they gym" when preparing for hunting. I scout and I hike with a pack. Regarding 3 extra ounces on your gun, for those guys who actually do mountain hunt, we know that is not an insignificant amount. 3 extra ounces strapped to your waist is fine. 3 ounces on the end of your arm that is constantly being shifted for balance over 5 or 6 days as you move through terrain is quite a different thing. The weight is on top of the gun which requires more grip. Again, fine for a tree stand but sidehill for a week on poor footing and you'll know the difference between a well balanced gun and one doesn't carry quite so well.

On the upside though, hitting the gym will make a guy look better in a swim suit.

Wow... again it amazes me how much complaining over a few ounces from these seasones keyboard jockey "back country hunters".

I started this thread to show the few new scopes Leupold was bringing out. I did not start it to hear people bitch and complain. If you want to do that start your own thread or better yet start your own scope manufacturing company, I'm sure you will do great....

Physical fitness, strength, and muscle endurance, cardiovascular all can be found in a gym, get on a step mill or stair master with your 50# pack, use an oxygen deprivation mask, can simulate your climbs at a xtreme elevation. I personally love the gym, part of my daily routine, and always will be.

Wow... again it amazes me how much complaining over a few ounces from these seasones keyboard jockey "back country hunters".

I started this thread to show the few new scopes Leupold was bringing out. I did not start it to hear people bitch and complain. If you want to do that start your own thread or better yet start your own scope manufacturing company, I'm sure you will do great....

Ouch!

Thanks for setting the ground rules for commenting.

Physical fitness, strength, and muscle endurance, cardiovascular all can be found in a gym, get on a step mill or stair master with your 50# pack, use an oxygen deprivation mask, can simulate your climbs at a xtreme elevation. I personally love the gym, part of my daily routine, and always will be.

Your absolutely right. In my case though, field time uses some different muscles than gym time.

I too have found unless it's going on a gas gun with full rail, 34mm tubes only make sense with 52mm+ objectives. Being the vx5 is 4-20 x52 this should work out pretty nicely on low rings for most people. Still, if it was 4-20x50 on a 30mm tube I'd be more interested.

LOL

Last edited:
Some folks are just closer to the mountain than the gym. Absolutely nothing wrong with either place though.

Now you're even more comical.

Just remember, not all of us are as tough as you.

Until the actual spec's come out it's hard to form a solid opinion, but the chances are by going for a 34mm tube it's going to be heavier than a 30mm would've been.
The only thing a 34mm tube is good for is extra elevation, hence the new ZL3 turret but as this is marketed and intended for use as a hunting scope, the user base is hardly going to need the extra elevation. The ZL2 with 38moa should easily get you to 1000yards, which is more than enough for a SFP hunting scope.

I can see why a 34mm tube and the ZL3 turret would be useful in the 7-35 scope, but in the 4-20 it just adds weight for no practical gain.

Not sure why they would put FFP on a scope that won't track reliably for long anyway (VX series) so I get that they are keeping them SFP.

Not a fan of the reticle choices in mark5.. CCH is probably closest but seriously, 0.25 mil subtensions? Who does that.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.