Leupold or ???

MSURunner

Looking to try to shed some ounces on the hunting rifle this year and am considering making a change to a Leupold scope. My only real hang up is coming from a price/feature prospective. I've run quite a few Athlon optics and some Vortex. The cost of the Vortex in relation to the Athlon is not very attractive IMHO, and I don't think there's enough weight savings in their lineup to justify going with Vortex (but I'm not totally opposed to the idea). I am leaning towards one of the Leupolds with the CDS and figured I'd throw it out there for recommendations. I typically like to zero my hunting rifle at 300 and then dial if going further out. Scope will be going on a 6.5x284 M77 and shots should be under 600. Magnification range would like to be in the 4.5-18 range, but wouldn't say no to having 20-24 on the upper end. Thanks in advance.

I would definitely agree with the zeiss and Swarovski recommendations. You want to dial, so me personally im not worried about ounces to get a 30mm reliable scope for repeat tracking. As stated, its hard to beat those zeiss from redhawk. The zero stop and turret has impressed me and I run all nightforce currently 🤣🤣.

Not mine but freind has this for sale:

Last edited:
I have a Leupold 4.5-14X40 30mm VX3i with CDS & wind plex reticle - light, short, compact, mounts low, great optics when dim light, I use it on a variety of M77 MKII & Hawkeye rifles with Leupold, Ruger type, medium & high 30mm, extension front, ring pairs. The CDS feature provides a zero stop. Makes for a great coyote rig on my .22-.250, 75 ELDM and I have extra dials for 150 7mm ELDX & 6.5 123 ELDM loads.

i like the Trijicon Credo and tenmile scopes. light weight and wont break the bank. higher price range the nightforce nx8

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.