Leupold or Vortex ?

Blackpowder72

Looking at a Leupold VX 3 or a Vortex Viper HS . Leupold is 14x , Vortex is 16x . Whats your guys opinion ? Most of my shooting is in low light conditions. Thanks !!

I am not a fan of Vortex because of the glass quality. I have never had an issue with Leupold and I have some that are ove 30 years old.

Choice is clear to me.

This Is just my opinion and my "eyes"

I've owned 5 vortex scopes, pst, hst, hs lr, crossfire.
7 leupolds. Vx1, vx2, and vx3's.

None of the vortex even come close to low light gathering abilities of the vx3 series (comparing to the PST & hst)

Leupolds target turrets leave a lot to be desired, but I could not live with the low quality glass from vortex for my hunting rifles so I sold all of them.

I am no leupold fan boy either, pretty irritating when I've had to send 3 of them back for not tracking like they should but once I received them back from leupold they track great now.

This is just my opinion and how my eyes see them

Luepold great glass lightweight

Vortex all the tactical features kind of heavy

I have both.

For hunting I take the leupold and CDS. Of course mine are all vx-6's. Got the whole lineup. I would think the new vx-3i would be a good choice for a hunting rifle.

For AR toys PRS

For long range I have a vx-6 7-42 great scope but expensive

Really thinking about the Vortex Golden Eagle for my long.range bench gun. I am building. Waiting for the reviews

Leopold had the American market in 1980. Lock stock and barrel. Ever since then they have stopped innovating and basically over charged the consumer. I have a M4 and a vx3i, they aren't bad scopes. But they need to pick it up and do better.....

Leupold.

My opinion is the best glass speaks Deutsche. The second best glass, which is way better than good enough, speaks gringo with a Leupold dialect.

Some like Japanese, Chinese, and Philippines glass. If they work, they gotta be good. But my first choice is gringo with Leupold dialect.

Leopold had the American market in 1980. Lock stock and barrel. Ever since then they have stopped innovating and basically over charged the consumer. I have a M4 and a vx3i, they aren't bad scopes. But they need to pick it up and do better.....

Might be right. However, thw ages old Vari-X II 3x9x40 is still the gold standard of hunting scopes. It was perfect when it was introduced. Bells and whistles have not improved upon it. A 40 year-old Vari-X II 3x9x40 will shoot just as good as an "improved upon" VX-6 with more bells an whistles than one could ring and blow on a two-week safari.

Like most things hunting, I go the KISS route. I don't need side focus, parallax, or singing scopes. I want a scope that holds zero and produces a near instant sight picture.

This is just a guess: since the Leupold Vari-X II 3x0x40 was introduced, it has been the scope used to kill more North Americam big game than all others combined.

I'm curious: how would you improve upon a Vari-X II 3x9x40?

I have both scopes mentioned. Vortex has a better feel to the turrets. Luepold has better glass, and more options with reticles. I feel the luepold is better over all scope

All our Leupolds have been replaced by Vortex, higher quality optic, I have not seen one fail in 20+ installed, can't say that for the Leupolds which is a sad IMO.

I have a Viper PST (16x) and a VX-3i (14x). I like the little more magnification of the Vortex, but my eyes prefer the Loopy. Seems more crisp and better in low light conditions, even with a 10mm less objective.

I have owned 5 Leupolds, all older VXIII's. I loved the scope and its low light gathering capabilities. Of the 5 I owned, 3 broke. I have not bought another one since and have no plans of doing so either. Too many options out there.

I have had Vortex. I have multiple Leupold.

There was nothing wrong with the Viper PST SFP. I have a buddy that likes them more than I do so he got it.

I keep: Leupold mostly hunting except a couple target/tactical, Sightron mostly target/tactical one LR hunter. Nightforce totalBly tactical/target. A couple odd scopes used for target and plinking. Weaver 36x44 for a 6BR, that sort of thing.

If you are hunting, go with a Leupold. the Vari-X II 3-9x40 is great for the price. The weight makes for faster shots. Yes, it's fixed focus. Tuning the ocular on targets 100+ yards is very important to prevent parallax based missed shots.

Might be right. However, thw ages old Vari-X II 3x9x40 is still the gold standard of hunting scopes. It was perfect when it was introduced. Bells and whistles have not improved upon it. A 40 year-old Vari-X II 3x9x40 will shoot just as good as an "improved upon" VX-6 with more bells an whistles than one could ring and blow on a two-week safari.

Like most things hunting, I go the KISS route. I don't need side focus, parallax, or singing scopes. I want a scope that holds zero and produces a near instant sight picture.

This is just a guess: since the Leupold Vari-X II 3x0x40 was introduced, it has been the scope used to kill more North Americam big game than all others combined.

I'm curious: how would you improve upon a Vari-X II 3x9x40?

In my opinion, Burris and Nikon starting improving on it in the late 80's. Remember the turret adjustments? No positive clicks, it just turned. Nikon glass was better. Vx2 was better than the Weaver scopes of the day. Then in the 90's they fell behind. And I've owned both vx2 and vx3 scopes. They weren't garbage, but they were over priced. Now Nikon has fallen behind, and Burris is trying to make a comeback. Bushnell has also made great strides, I love my LRHS.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.