Leupold or Vortex

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by ramrod79, Jan 29, 2014.

1. ramrod79

ramrod79 Well-Known Member

Guys I want a scope for my LR rig 7 SAUM I want the BDC reticle ,and a custom turret , I will only shoot out to 700yards with this ,and I want the zero stop option as well. What is everyones opinion Leupold 4.5x14x40 CDS with LR or VH reticle VS Vortex Viper with DH BDC reticle and a turret from Kenton? I am limited to a budget of $800-1000 ,and does one need to worry about having parallax adjustment for shooting this far or can I get away without. I will practice out to 700yards but will more likely be shooting under 500 yards , and one more question 30MM tube or 1" .

2. kcebcj

kcebcj Well-Known Member

The scopes with a 30mm tube will give you a little more adjustment but may weigh more. If you are going to shoot beyond 300 yards I find the parallax adjuster a good option even at 100 yards. Personally will not be without one now that I have grown accustom to using it.

I have both Leupolds and Vortex and lean towards the Vortex scopes as I think you get more for the money spent at this time. I'm not a fan of the BDC type reticles or custom turrets. I think a MOA or MIL reticle and turret is far superior.

Good luck with your choice.

3. ramrod79

I think that is why I am leaning towards the vortex as you have the BDC reticle plus the MOA turret ,and you can get a custom turret for all under $700 ,and it is adjustable OBJ as well , its just I am a leupold fan ,and not sure if I want to change. I was hoping guys could give me enough info to make a decision.

4. North Idaho Hunter

North Idaho Hunter Well-Known Member

I just ordered a Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16x44.

Side parallax focus knob

75 MOA elevation adjustment (exposed turret) with built in zero strop

capped windage turret

Dead hold BDC reticle for $400 off camera land
    (demo model)

Sounds to me like it would be a good fit for you.

5. ramrod79

Thats a great deal ,and a half .

6. Canadian Bushman

Canadian Bushman Well-Known Member

I vote vortex as well

7. Timber338

Timber338 Well-Known Member

+1... my thoughts exactly.

8. Kurt

Kurt Well-Known Member

vortex

9. Tikkamike

Tikkamike Well-Known Member

I have always been a Leupold guy never had a problem. the 30mm tube with the B&C reticle is by far my favorite set up. That being said I tried the PST sfp and didnt like it one but. seemed darker than the leupold. I own a Vortex Razor Spotting scope and love it. I also have a low end Vortex Diamond back on my 22-250 and it seems to be a heck of a piece of glass let alone the fact that it only cost $199... I may have got a bad scope with my PST.. who knows. I would definitley try another to be sure. I think you are safe with either.. the PST has cooler features but less Moa and bulkier/heavier

10. ramrod79

Thanks Guys off to pick up my Vortex then ,whats the worst that could happen I really like it ,and buy another.

11. ramrod79

Picked up Vortex today , glass is excellent I find the clarity no different than my 4-12x40 Leupold, the reticle is different that what I am used to but i really like the MOA windage marks can't wait to shoot next week.

12. Iclimb

Iclimb Well-Known Member

Which did you end up getting, I really like the new reticle on my HS-t

13. MHO

MHO Well-Known Member

I have both and Vortex without a doubt gets my vote.

14. ramrod79

Picked up an 4-16x44 HS side focus ,BDC reticle .