Leupold or Vortex

ramrod79

Guys I want a scope for my LR rig 7 SAUM I want the BDC reticle ,and a custom turret , I will only shoot out to 700yards with this ,and I want the zero stop option as well. What is everyones opinion Leupold 4.5x14x40 CDS with LR or VH reticle VS Vortex Viper with DH BDC reticle and a turret from Kenton? I am limited to a budget of $800-1000 ,and does one need to worry about having parallax adjustment for shooting this far or can I get away without. I will practice out to 700yards but will more likely be shooting under 500 yards , and one more question 30MM tube or 1" .

The scopes with a 30mm tube will give you a little more adjustment but may weigh more. If you are going to shoot beyond 300 yards I find the parallax adjuster a good option even at 100 yards. Personally will not be without one now that I have grown accustom to using it.

I have both Leupolds and Vortex and lean towards the Vortex scopes as I think you get more for the money spent at this time. I'm not a fan of the BDC type reticles or custom turrets. I think a MOA or MIL reticle and turret is far superior.

Good luck with your choice.

I think that is why I am leaning towards the vortex as you have the BDC reticle plus the MOA turret ,and you can get a custom turret for all under $700 ,and it is adjustable OBJ as well , its just I am a leupold fan ,and not sure if I want to change. I was hoping guys could give me enough info to make a decision.

I just ordered a Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16x44.

Side parallax focus knob

75 MOA elevation adjustment (exposed turret) with built in zero strop

capped windage turret

Dead hold BDC reticle for $400 off camera land
(demo model)

Sounds to me like it would be a good fit for you.

The scopes with a 30mm tube will give you a little more adjustment but may weigh more. If you are going to shoot beyond 300 yards I find the parallax adjuster a good option even at 100 yards. Personally will not be without one now that I have grown accustom to using it.

I have both Leupolds and Vortex and lean towards the Vortex scopes as I think you get more for the money spent at this time. I'm not a fan of the BDC type reticles or custom turrets. I think a MOA or MIL reticle and turret is far superior.

Good luck with your choice.

+1... my thoughts exactly.

I have always been a Leupold guy never had a problem. the 30mm tube with the B&C reticle is by far my favorite set up. That being said I tried the PST sfp and didnt like it one but. seemed darker than the leupold. I own a Vortex Razor Spotting scope and love it. I also have a low end Vortex Diamond back on my 22-250 and it seems to be a heck of a piece of glass let alone the fact that it only cost $199... I may have got a bad scope with my PST.. who knows. I would definitley try another to be sure. I think you are safe with either.. the PST has cooler features but less Moa and bulkier/heavier

Picked up Vortex today , glass is excellent I find the clarity no different than my 4-12x40 Leupold, the reticle is different that what I am used to but i really like the MOA windage marks can't wait to shoot next week.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.