Leupold VX5hd or Vortex LHT

All of this talk of "glass" and other fluff that matters none is odd to me. If you want a scope that tracks, rtz and holds zero under heavy recoil the LHT would be the easy choice. All mine have hung with my NXS, NX8 and March scoped rifles in heavy use out to and way past 1K.

As a side note the Zeiss V4's are another option with solid internals for roughly the same $

FOV is amazing with the vx5hd. I've had both scopes and although I'm a big vortex fan, the locking turret and htmr reticle was what did it for me. Although you don't have to pay any extra for ilium with vortex. My buddy kept the vortex and I kept the lupy. Couldn't go wrong with either but I would go vx5hd again no problem.

I have both…the Leupy reticle is just the crosshairs & dot, nothing for wind holds. My LHT is the Euro 50mm MOA exclusive to them scope. My only complaint, the parallax is finicky and has no yardage on it. I plan to take a paint pen and make my own marks on it so I have good references to yardages. My understanding is the Vortex 42mm moa scope has yardage on the parallax and that addresses my single complaint on the LHT.

I prefer the Aluma scope caps to anything on the market.

I'm need another and I'll likely get the Vortex 42mm LHT over another vx5hd. Good luck, but as been said…both are great scopes, I think you'll be happy regardless of which one you chose.

I have both…the Leupy reticle is just the crosshairs & dot, nothing for wind holds. My LHT is the Euro 50mm MOA exclusive to them scope. My only complaint, the parallax is finicky and has no yardage on it. I plan to take a paint pen and make my own marks on it so I have good references to yardages. My understanding is the Vortex 42mm moa scope has yardage on the parallax and that addresses my single complaint on the LHT.

I prefer the Aluma scope caps to anything on the market.

I'm need another and I'll likely get the Vortex 42mm LHT over another vx5hd. Good luck, but as been said…both are great scopes, I think you'll be happy regardless of which one you chose.
Ya my LHT 42 has the parallax yardage marks, my special run 50 MOA does not. No clue why they didn't put them on the special run 50s.

Have a new VX-5HD and couple of older Vortex HD LH in 2-10 and 3-15 with G4 BDC reticles.
Honestly when I shoulder the rifle the VX-5hd may slightly get the nod for eye popping immediate view, but... the Vortex LH with the G4 reticle is absolutely perfect for me in every other aspect for hunting! Glass clarity, weight, BDC reticle (which match my bullet drop for caliber of those rifles ...6.5 Creedmoor included) and have held zero for years now.
Steiner GS3 is not on your list but another outstanding choice! It has S1 reticle which is discontinued but still available some places.
Great match up... Hard for me to call the winner.

Last edited:
I have several VX5HDs and swore I would not purchase another Vortex years ago but the LHT peaked my interest based on features and positive reviews. The only reticle I like in the VX5HD is the numbered impact-29 and for some reason they want a few hundred more for it so I went with the LHT 3-15x42 because of the HSR-5i reticle. The only things I don't like on the LHT are how the rev stop limits the amount of elevation adjustment and it does not have a fast focus eyepiece. Have it on a new 270 WSM moving the 170 Bergers at 3100 so it will still dial past 1000 yards. Otherwise the glass is similar to the VX5HD and it is tracking consistently. The locking elevation turret (simply lift to turn) is nice it that it will lock at any elevation point. All of my VX5HDs have been flawless over the past few years so the Vortex durability will be the determining factor.
From my limited experience with the LHT it looks like Vortex has a winner but both scopes are a very nice and a great value for around $1000.

This fall I'll be hunting with two rifles, one with a LHT 3-15 and the other with VX5HD 3-15. For wide open country, I really like LHT with its HSR-5i reticle. For more timbered areas I like the VX5HD with a simple duplex.

This fall I'll be hunting with two rifles, one with a LHT 3-15 and the other with VX5HD 3-15. For wide open country, I really like LHT with its HSR-5i reticle. For more timbered areas I like the VX5HD with a simple duplex.
Been eyeing both of these up for my 300 WSM. Need to get to the store to check them out. I've not seen the vortex reticle in person, I think I'd like it tho

I pushed the go button on a second LHT and went thru Liberty Optics. Scott is an awesome guy and a supporter over on SnipersHide. He cut me one hell of a deal for a MOA 42mm HSR-5i for only $750 shipped.

Not sure what you can get a VX5 for these days, but that price is hard to argue with for that level of glass and features.