2019 Leupold

Don't really understand why you need a massive tube cds scopes that are limited to 2 revs anyway.

4-20 is a nice add though. Would be great if we got a FFP vx 5/6 series

I don't consider the 34mm tube a disadvantage after using both in the VX-6HD lineup. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a 34mm 4-20x52 VX-5HD if it was the magnification range I wanted.

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more. I was looking forward to the 4-20, even holding out for one. I have no need for a 34mm tube on a hunting rifle.

I was holding out for a couple of them. I was excited when I heard they were going to come out with a 4-20. What a huge let down when I seen it was a 34mm Tube. I agree no need on my hunting rifles.

I don't consider the 34mm tube a disadvantage after using both in the VX-6HD lineup. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a 34mm 4-20x52 VX-5HD if it was the magnification range I wanted.

You make a great point but I have no desire for a 34mm tube on my hunting rifles.

What is the disadvantage to a 34mm tube? I only own one scope in 30mm tube VX-5HD 3-15x on a backpack rifle and love it. Is it just the size and weight?
Yup. Too heavy for my backpack hunting. Excess weight, without significant advantage in the field.

If I shot >99% of the time and walked <1% of the time, I might have a different set of priorities.

Yup. Too heavy for my backpack hunting. Excess weight, without significant advantage in the field.

If I shot >99% of the time and walked <1% of the time, I might have a different set of priorities.

Plus scope usually sits higher need taller rings/ cheek weld change.

Plus scope usually sits higher need taller rings/ cheek weld change.

I don't see how the tube size has anything to do with scope ring height except if you are using a a straight tube/objective like a 1-6x30 vs 1-6x34 then I could see the smaller tube allowing lower profile. Otherwise isn't your rig height determined by the Objective bell diameter and not the tube diameter?

I think it would still be slightly higher to center your eye in a 34mm tube vs a 30mm tube given the same objective. You might be able to get away with a medium vs a high ring tho with a 34mm tube.

I think is commical people complain about extra weight a 34mm objective adds- if that's going to make or break you, better hit the gym, loose some weight, or find another way to carry your rifle while humpin mountains.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.