2019 Leupold

Not sure why they would put FFP on a scope that won't track reliably for long anyway (VX series) so I get that they are keeping them SFP.

Not a fan of the reticle choices in mark5.. CCH is probably closest but seriously, 0.25 mil subtensions? Who does that.

Why would bad tracking have any effect of the suitability of FFP vs SFP?
If anything FFP would be better as holdovers could be used at any mag range, unlike SFP.

Regardless, the VX5 and VX6 lines are proving to track well and return too zero just fine.

Why would bad tracking have any effect of the suitability of FFP vs SFP?
If anything FFP would be better as holdovers could be used at any mag range, unlike SFP.

Regardless, the VX5 and VX6 lines are proving to track well and return too zero just fine.

You make a good point, FFP would actually be more valuable on scopes that don't track well.

I've seen enough reports on failing to hold zero or track repeatably and seen enough unexplainable issues to trust any VX scope on a hunting rifle that I will dial.

Leupold has always been a top contender with LR hunting optics. I think these new options on the VX5 and Mk5 lines will do well. I'll be looking for one of the MOA options when they become available. 4-20 is a nice range.

Do they make any VX5 or 6 in Mil? If not it'd probably be a long shot they'd give you something not available in any existing product.

I saw some VX5's with mil turrets here in Canada. This was early in production, they were marked 'euro' IIRC. Might be hard to find domestically, but Leupold's custom shop might be able to help

Still have seen anything on this t-zl3 dial? Anyone seen a video review other than the core insider video leupold put out.

Not officially, but based on previous iterations (ZL1 - 1 rotation, ZL2 - 2 rotation) it is likely a 3 rotation turret with a locking zero stop.

Do they make any VX5 or 6 in Mil? If not it'd probably be a long shot they'd give you something not available in any existing product.

I emailed them about it, they will do it once it gets in the custom shop. I specifically asked about the 4-20x52 VX5HD. They said it's unlikely it will ever be offered in the catalog (unfortunate), but hey i'll take it.

I emailed them about it, they will do it once it gets in the custom shop. I specifically asked about the 4-20x52 VX5HD. They said it's unlikely it will ever be offered in the catalog (unfortunate), but hey i'll take it.

Would be nice if they would get with the times.

Would be nice if they would get with the times.

To be fair in the hunting market it's almost 99% MOA here in the states. Though as i stated given the recent boom of PRS/NRL which is almost 99% Mil it would a smart move to produce some SFP and FFP oriented Mil/Mil hunting optics. Because that's a major chunk of the market.

I think this is all manufacturer dependent. You see some manufacturers that are more focused on hunting and others that are more focused on target/competition shooting. For instance:

Leupold - lots of SFP options
NF - lots of FFP options
Swarovski - lots of SFP options
Vortex - a little bit of both
Zeiss - all most all SFP
Leica - all most all SFP

Each of these manufacturers have different thoughts on what they should offer in their lineups. Personally I'd love to see a lighter high powered SFP NF option but in all honesty they are the are still selling scopes regardless of my feelings. Either way you have to purchase a scope that works for your needs, no sense in complaining just go find what works for you, and start shooting.

Still have seen anything on this t-zl3 dial? Anyone seen a video review other than the core insider video leupold put out.

Leupold has had me running the MK-5 HD in the 3.6-18 & 5-25 PR-1 MOA versions for several months now pre release. They do have the 3 rotation dial up capability.

I loving the compactness of the 3.6-18 running it on a 6.5 PRC. It's been in the field with me hunting pronghorn and deer. Scored a TX buck at 475 with it.

The 5-25 is on a JP Enterprises 6.5 Creed. Been running it on the range out to 1200 yards. It makes shots at range almost too easy.

Been running tracking and tall target tests with both and have found them to run VERY true.

For those of us that prefer MOA, this is a great option for fantastic glass.

They are bright optics that offer a great deal of versatility on the range and in the field. The illumination is very adjustable and works in low to bright light conditions.

There will be more of the MK-5 HD on my rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.