2014 Utah bull/spike general season permit question

Depth Afield

Last year I purchased the bull general season tag and hunted near home (wasatch... came up empty freezer-wise) for spike. From how I understood it, the permit allowed one to hunt for bull on the bull-only sections of the state and spike on the spike-only sections. This year there are two separate permits for spike versus bull.

So my question is this: are the spike and bull permits the same deal as last year, or are you limited to only hunting for spike with a spike tag and bull with a bull tag? Lastly, if one purchases a bull/spike general tag does that prevent a leftover cow tag if available?

spike only in spike unit, any bull in the other, cow tag is a separate hunt, no more than two elk tags per hunter

Thanks, Bruce. After speaking with a few others as well, turns out I was confused last year. :)

Even though I am in Wasatch I decided to go with the bull tag this year. A buddy of mine said there are sometimes leftover cow tags for 9-mile. Would you happen to know if it is the spike only or the bull 9-mile section? Anthro is spike and Range Creek is bull. Am kind of hoping the leftovers are the latter, as I would at least get a feel for the terrain during general season for bull and be more prepared for cow.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts