Utah (SLC) Spike Elk Hunt Help please

Machinist

I was suppose to go on a spike elk hunt with my uncle that has some land in central Utah. He has informed me he is not doing one this year a week ago. I have never been hunting before and my step dad said he would go hunting with me but, he only does upland game; never deer or elk. I am at a lost for information I have read the 2012 big game proclamation and tried to do some scouting around. I have came up with nothing. I thought I found a nice spot up emigration canyon but as it turns it is archery only and mostly private land. I am not looking for someone's secret hunting spot just need a point in a good direction. I have tried doing some research with goggle earth but having a hard time discerning what are private lands, what are protected lands, and where the lines for the hunting units are. I do have the map of the units. I don't so much care about a harvest as much as spending time with my family and having a legal/safe planned trip. The meat would be nice to have healthier than beef and save on the wallet.

This is my first year hunting as well, and I am also doing a spike elk hunt. I'm sure more experienced members will chime in, but from the research I have done, you have a lot better chance of success going either further east (along the 40 and by Duchesne) or areas pretty far south of Salt Lake.

Best of luck mate.

Another item that will help you at least SEE ELK......and eliminate excuses. Biggest one I always read and heard was " They ain't come down from the high ground yet". Go to the TOP of the Mountain the first day and you will find out where you need to be, cause you will have seen them!!
Good luck.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.