Utah elk hunt

eyeballjr

We our group just got together and decided that this years out of state hunt will be for elk in Utah, North of Vernel. Any tips or trick from around that area. We will be hunting all public land.

I assume you will get a general bull permit or else are hunting on private land.
One thing to look at is the antlerless draw for tags. Nonresidents have a good chance to get a tag in a lot of units.

I've heard that it's good there. We ususally hunt on the North Slope but it's getting packed with hunters. One piece of advice - scout if possible!

I am pretty sure we are hunting the south slope, my Uncle shot a nice one up there a few years ago. We will only have two days to set up camp and scout. I have been up there twice, but have never seen a bull alive. Seen a few cows. We are hunting near Ice Cave Peak (i think that is what it is called) The other guys in my group went a couple years with out me due to me having a new job and going through a divorce two years in a row. They had luck there, they keep telling me that we are just not hitting the season right is why i am not seeing anything. I am a flat lander from Oklahoma so i'm not real familiar with the spot and stalk tactics used in the mountains. Just what i have read on the internet. My Uncle who spearheads the trips stays in touch with biologist in the area, so maybe we will hit them right this time.

The biggest problem most flat landers have is not getting in good physical shape and dealing with breathing at high altitude the first three days.

I have been at high altitude a few times before and know what you are talking about. Not fun to gasp for air when there is none. It has never been a problem before, you get winded a little quicker. I always hit the stair climber hard about 3 months before we leave and that helps with the endurance. We have done quite a bit of mule deer hunting in wyoming around Rawlings/Encampment area. So the elevation should not be too much of a problem.

This area is very crowded with hunters, Utah has a buck bull combo and this is the only area in the state for the combo hunt.

If your buddies are seeing what they call "good ones" what is your definition of good ones. There is lots better to be had in this state. All depends on what you are after.

Been to this area. At times it was lousey with hunters. You have to get way up in to get past the crowds. If you are hunting on foot this could be something to consider. In this country horses are the ticket.

If you are after solitude and a western elk hunt you might want to consider somewhere else.

The main problem with this area is all of the indian land nearby. Once all the hunters start pulling in and "scouting", the elk dont all move UP any mountains. The simply move over and down to the indian land that nobody can legally access. The area might be good for the first day, maybe even see some the second day, but it will be very hard hunting from then on out. The elk you see in this area after opening day will simply be moving through, out of other areas, to the indian lands. It is this way with alot of the vernal area. I know that this doesnt help alot but at least it is a heads up. Any other questions i would gladly offer an opinion.

And BTW, if you see anybody in this area looking to hunt for the buck bull combo hunt...turn them in. This area is not part of the buck bull combo hunt area even though alot of people think it it. You will still see lots of other elk hunters in this area though. You will have to go quite a ways north of ice cave peak and a little ways to the west to get to the boundry of the buck bull combo hunt.

shootinfool, you are correct about the buck bull boundray. Thanks for the correction.

eyeballjr, I apoligize for the mistake.

Rh300rum,

That comment about the boundry wasn't
a poke at you. You have no idea how many
people I have come across that have tag in
hand and don't know where they should be
hunting. I have come across people that hunt
elk in the south slope and then have gone out
to grouse creek to hunt their deer. They think
thatbecause it's a northern tag they can hunt the
entire northern unit for deer and all the any bull
units for elk. That's the only reason that I
mentioned it.

Thanks for all of the advise it is really appreciated, in the area's i have been to in this part of the country, i have not seen a whole lot of hunters (probably due to the lack of elk lol) Seems like we would run into someone every couple of days. I am sure our group would be up for a change if anyone knows of a better place. My uncle came up with this place due to the availability of tags, cost ($475 i think) and drive time (most of us are coming from NE Oklahoma) which is about the limit for most of us.

Once again thanks for all the comments, anyone else that wants to chime in please feel free to. I will be happy to see an elk, much less get a shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.