Utah Non Resident Elk hunt leftover tags

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by wildcat455, Jul 16, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. 338 bruce

338 bruce Well-Known Member

pine valley between enterprise and modena where the railroad tracks meet the nevada line, zion where the elk are is national park and or private property

2. muleskinner1

muleskinner1 Active Member

Did you go up to Vernal, what does it look like?

3. wildcat455

wildcat455 Well-Known Member

Yep. Yesterday was our last day up here. We will drive home today. We got up here Saturday and began driving roads, glassing and scouting.
    Definitely allot of outstanding habitat, however, we did not see any Elk.
    As great as the area is, I’d have to say we were a little surprised not to see any elk. We did see allot of deer though, and ranchers have a whole lot of cattle in the area right now.
    We covered the whole Vernal south slope area, found 4 points of entry into that area from Vernal, and covered elevations from 6000-10,500 by vehicle and glassing where we could.
    We also got a look at the north slope area from 44, and part of south slope Yellowstone, around Moon lake.
    The plan for today is drive home via Provo and Cedar City, to give us a quick look at West Desert East, Fillmore, and Beaver West, then take the 14 over to the 89 for a look at the top portion of Zion.

4. Chris comer

Chris comer Member

5. muleskinner1

Did you see 338 Bruce post? Between Modena and Enterprise, West of Cedar City.

6. 338 bruce

338 bruce Well-Known Member

I have seen elk on zion while cutting firewood up on kanarraville mountain east of i-15, couple good bulls but mostly private, the road goes over the top and hooks onto the kolob road north to hyway 14 south to kolob and vigin. The elk at modena are trespassers from the nevada herds.

7. wildcat455

wildcat455 Well-Known Member

As an update, we are back to Arizona.
    Dad decided when he got up yesterday morning, we are hunting that SOB hell or high water. We came up with a few plans, based on what we learned of the road system and layout of the area. Now, just need to see weather, density of hunters, etc. Maybe we get lucky, maybe we don’t. Just depends on everything being right and going our way! LOL!

It’ll be an epic hunt either way. Simply put, that country is stunningly beautiful!

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions, Dad’s a bit stubborn when he gets his mind made up... (Unlike me, of course...) LOL!!

Best I just go with it since it’s his last hurrah.

8. muleskinner1

One time I was going up a canyon looking for cows heard a bunch of noise and remembered what the cow boss said, you hear noise get off the canyon floor or they will run you over. Sure enough big herd of elk came out of there. They settled for awhile just below me and my mule to many to count bulls were just a bugling what a sight that was. Best of luck and have a good one.

9. muleskinner1

One time I was going up a canyon looking for cows heard a bunch of noise and remembered what the cow boss said, you hear noise get off the canyon floor or they will run you over. Sure enough big herd of elk came out of there. They settled for awhile just below me and my mule to many to count bulls were just a bugling what a sight that was. Best of luck and have a good one.

10. bocajnala

bocajnala Well-Known Member

Enjoy that hunt!