Colorado elk hunt, non resident, public ground.

I have hearing similar stories from just about everyone I meet about ranchers baiting elk and other illegal activities

It's not uncommon here to find that ranchers push the elk onto their property. They get big $$ for hunting leases. As far as it being illegal, if they aren't literally chasing the animals, it isn't considered harassing wildlife. What they are doing is unethincal and makes a guy want to get mad. That said, enjoy your hunt.

Common where I hunt between Craig and Hayden is watching 2 to 3 trucks on their property watch for Elk heading for public ground and seeing them come flying across the field to get in front of them to push them back and or shoot at them… I've talked to people in Hayden about one rancher in particular and they've told me he's been to court many times for it; he gets a small fine and smiles all the way home. Just as you said they told me he's make'n so much money off these guys coming in to be on his property he doesn't care. Just the way it is out there.
As hwy40 said enjoy "your" hunt; ranchers and people like these guys shooting from truck windows are the difference between us and them… the feeling we take home with us is worth every hill and frustration.
Good luck to you, I'm headed back there in few more days.

Last edited:
Were going to stay away from the private ground as much as possible. My cousin will show us which direction they are.

Thank you for the info.

People for the most part are assholes, they will push elk off of public for the $$$, it amazes me how many *** holes there are every year I meet when I go hunting. Now i hunt with an oufitter with a couple hundred thousand acres so not an issue, but just go to a movie, ballgame, just about any event and most people should just be thinned from the heard, total scum assholes.

far as taking your rifle on a horse let me share some advice, i had a horse go nuts, tried to throw me and didnt but slammed us against a tree and snapped my Mod 70, pre 64 stock in half. I bought a blackhawk single gun tactical case with the 3" padding and back back staps and no wear it across my front resting across the saddle. If I get thrown it stays in front and when I hit the ground it is hanging against my waist and is no worse for wear. DO NOT wear it on your back, if you get thrown it could cause you to fracture your pelvis or spine or neck if you land on it. I wear it likey you wear a reserve shoot and so far it is comfortable and rifle is completely protected.

Ease up on the rancher comments boys. Don't let a couple bad eggs influence your opinion on all of em. Without ranchers most outfitters in the lower 48 would be out of business. Texas would have almost 0 hunting oppertunitys, & back yard BBQ'd would almost cease to exist, as would steak houses & fast food joints.
Ya there's a few jerks out there, but not all ranchers act like that. Of course there's always folks who sway our decisions to let people hunt private ground or not with dumb *** comments about ranchers in general......
Like I said there are "those kind" who deserve a bad rap. I'll not deny that. Those kind make me furious!
But most of us who grew up ranching are pretty decent folks. Letting strangers hunt our property for no other reason than they asked, & we obliged. Not many of you would let an armed stranger play in your yard just because he asked first would you.

Now, if I may,
Lengthen your stirrups so your knees aren't as bent. Trust me.
If your taking the saddle in the pic, put a back cinch on it before you leave.
Bring scrap leather or para-cord for emergency fixes on the trail.
A hoof pic, & leatherman are a must for these chance encounters.
Imo, use the biggest rifle you are accurate with, & comfortable shooting.
If you have big lugg traction on your boots id also recomend tapadaroes to keep your foot from slipping thru the sturrup causing you to "hang up". They'll also keep your feet warmer.
Best of luck to you on your hunt, and adventure.

Last edited:
Well you're right many are decent folks and don't mean to generalize, sorry if ya took it that way. Merely issuing caution to first timers to know your borders on "public ground" in the hunt areas of discussion as one foot accidently off it could get you slapped with a grand missing out of your pocket. (Hasn't happened to me personally but was warned of it by town folk in Hayden.) As for the ranchers bordering the public ground I hunt; well these are the "Dumb ***" folk I speak of so again sorry if my tunnel vision and venting towards seeing this happen every year got too wide and struck some wrong. Just really sucks to drive 15 hours to cross a river on foot, hump 6 to 8 miles a day up and back and have to watch this happen every year. Guess it's just itch'n me cause I know it's comin again in a few days.
Think'n this will be my last year in this spot; gonna look for a bit more public friendly place. Not sure why I stayed so long, just got to know the ground so well it's hard to walk away from.
Take care and wish you all a great season…

Winmag. My sister got me another sadddle to take along. She put all new leather straps on it and a back cinch. Well make sure we have breast collars also. This week ill get the saddle pretty close to what ill need. I got some new addle bags and we'll have our new gun scabbards.

I'll be using the 338 rum. One week away. I can Hardy sleep and my stomach has been in knots. Can't wait for it to get here.

6 days, can't sleep, got most all of my stuff in one place, got way too much stuff.

got my gun scabbard yesterday and my rifle doesn't fit in completely. either gonna take it back to cabelas on the way or make a slight modification.

need to shoot this weekend, just to make sure one last time.

6 days, can't sleep, got most all of my stuff in one place, got way too much stuff.

Last chance....cut 30-40% now....won't cost as much now.

Some day I will STOP hauling 500 lb (of junk-that took me 70 yrs to collect) in my Utl trailer, to CO every year......4,000 miles at $3.75/ Gal for push water SUCKS.

Most of that stuff would be used if I stayed out there 3 months......but "I might need some of it".....if~n I left it at home now. NAH!!!!!!!

When you get back.....pull all the stuff you did not use on this trip, and put it back in inventory! Don't keep all of it in your carry group and keep adding to it every year. I am trying to help you here. Thin it now!!!:D

Run some Bulls down the Cont. Divide.......I'll be at 11'000' on Bald Mt. waiting on Nov. 5th. That should give them just about enough time to get there.:cool:

Good luck and be safe. Can't wait to hear how it went.

... got way too much stuff. ....

Same condition, pack tonight, load the trailer tomorrow, pull out Tuesday early. Not sure where to go with everything. Trying to figure how to pack /arrange all of it.

Year #2 for me. I have already excluded the stuff that I did not use last year. But, have also added stuff I did not have last year that I WISH I had taken with me.

Departing on an 8 or 9 day business trip directly from Elk camp. Gotta pack for that as well. I may sleep on this and do it in the morning...

Got all my stuff into one big duffle bag, including my sleeping bag and my backpack. Going to shoot one last time tomorrow then load up the trailer. We'll be leaving early Tuesday should be to Craig, Co Wednesday evening.

I caught my son's fever he had on Wednesday and have had a killer sore throat since. Finally feeling a Little better. Might just be all the anxiety too.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.