2000yard MOAG pics

Goodgrouper,
That's some very impressive shooting, congrats to you all.
How much would be a resonable price to build a rifle like that?
Good Shooting!!!!!!!!

Goodgrouper

Both are on BR central and Kevin is Montour Rifles there and on this site. You can PM either and get what you need.

I have both Tooleys and kevins, selling Tooleys and bought 4 of Kevins for 6, 6.5, 30 and 338

WOW!! That looks so fun to be a part of! And the shooting range is just...perfect. The GUN is a serious piece of work! "I'm impressed" Thanks for sharing this with us all.

Thanks guys for your posts. I will call Kevin today.

Any super math nuts out there?
I just reviewed the tape of the shoot and laughed my butt off at how long it takes for the sound of the gong hit to make it back to the shooting bench. As close as I can tell, it takes 3 seconds for the bullet to get to 2000 yards, then it takes the sound about 5 seconds to get back. DOes this sound right?
Also, when the camera was in the pit, the bullets were hitting about 2 seconds before the sound of the gun got to us. Does the math work on this?

Figure sound at 1000-1100 fps, 2000 yards = 6000ft so ~5.5 to 6 seconds for sound to make the trip.

Bullet takes (you state) 3 seconds to make the trip, in the pits the bullet arrives at time + 3 second, then sound arrives (5.5 to 6 seconds for trip) at time + 5.5 to 6... so about 2.5 to 3 second after the bullet passes overhead.

It seems to fit by me.

gonna take longer than 3 secs to get to 2K, as it takes 1.5 to get to 1K.

took about 3.5 secs for my 220smk's at 3000fps to get to 1650 so im guessing 4 sec min flight to 2K, maybe closer to 5 -- JBM can answer this.

JB

goodgrouper,

Very good! Pictures say 1000 words. Like your boat anchor holding down your chrono screens! One question though, why don't you just hang your gong on the power lines behind the pit and shoot at that!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Keep'em coming,

db

BountyHunter,
Bill Shehane had Goodling do the metal work,in theroy Bill did the stocking but it is hard to say for sure because Bill can duck a question like none other with that Carolina drawl.
B

Two questions:

1. What range finder did you use to range the 2K shot and do you range from a central point,to reduce the margin of error and do you use a GPS for range finding concurrence or to estimate ranging on mapping programs?

B. I know Bill Shehane has something to do with D&B Supply. Is this the same D&B I buy drill bits, wranglers and fasteners at and what is Mr. Shehanes relationship to this company.

And one more thing while thinking about GPSs. Do you guys know or can you email me the GPS coordinates for the shoot in twin?

[ QUOTE ]
Two questions:

1. What range finder did you use to range the 2K shot and do you range from a central point,to reduce the margin of error and do you use a GPS for range finding concurrence or to estimate ranging on mapping programs?

B. I know Bill Shehane has something to do with D&B Supply. Is this the same D&B I buy drill bits, wranglers and fasteners at and what is Mr. Shehanes relationship to this company.

And one more thing while thinking about GPSs. Do you guys know or can you email me the GPS coordinates for the shoot in twin?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont know about drill bits, but D&B supply is Diane and Bill shehanes business ( www.scopeusout.com )

Goodling is about 2.5hrs from me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif great smith for sure /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

JB

jb1000br,
Nope. It takes 3.01 seconds for the 300 grain Mk to get to 2000 yards. Your 220 matchking is going the same speed as our gun, but your bullets bc is a full point less, and I am at probably 4000 feet higher elevation than you and with half the humidity! Sierra rates your bullet at .629 at sea level (which I would assume is pretty close to your elevation) and it rates mine at .768, only I am almost a mile higher in the air than the Sierra factory. And, they rate this .338 bullet's bc at something like 2300 fps and above, but we are pushing it 700 fps faster than that! I will soon go test my actual bc, but I would bet that it is running closer to .850 or maybe even .900 here out of this cannon. I have tested the Berger, .264 140 VLD out of my six-five two eighty-four. It is rated at .627, but my tests confirmed a bc of .704 at my range.
Another good reason to live in the west! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
1. What range finder did you use to range the 2K shot

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a Wild (pronounced "vild") rangefinder. Goes to 12 miles!

[ QUOTE ]
and do you range from a central point,to reduce the margin of error

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure what you mean.

[ QUOTE ]
and do you use a GPS for range finding concurrence or to estimate ranging on mapping programs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I usually take along a gps to double check the Wild.
They are always very close!

[ QUOTE ]
Do you guys know or can you email me the GPS coordinates for the shoot in twin

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know the coordinates, but I will email you the name of the town and Motel we stay at.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.