2000yard MOAG pics

goodgrouper

As promised, here are the pics of the maiden longrange test of the MOAG. It performed better than we all expected. I thought that if one of us was to hit the 15" gong at 2 grand we would be doing well, but as it turned out, 4 guys shot the gun and 4 guys connected!
We set out pretty early so as to avoid the midday mirage. First order of business was confirming a 40" high impact above the aim point at 100 yards. With this sight-in, it gives us a 1500 yard zero without using any minutes in the scope. After boresighting and two shots, we were at 40" high. Then we set the zero on the turret, and fired a shot. It landed 1 second earlier and 500 yards closer than we wanted! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif In the hussle to get on the gong before the mirage set in, we neglected to go up 27 minutes for a 2000 yard shot!
O.K. Brian B Dialed up 27, and the second attempt went just a tad low and left. Then we proceeded to walk him in. 7mmrhb and his son-in-law, Jared, drove down to the gong and set up about 50 yards shy and out of the way to help guide us in. After just 7 shots, Brian had deafening hit on the gong!
Then we all took turns trading places. I shot next and rang the gong high. Then it was Jared's turn, and he hit on the sixth shot. Then 7mmrhb took a turn and whacked it!
We got 3 of the 4 hits on video including a recording of 7mmrhb's hit from the gong pit. You could hear the gong hits very clearly and quite loudly from 2000 yards away. You could even hear the ones that hit the burm! That 300 grain MK hits with 1130 ft/lbs of energy at 2000!

Several things that were reinforced in todays experiment was the importance of a LOW standard deviation, uniform bullet base-to-ogive measuring, and follow up your sighter with a quick second shot to get the same condition. We noticed that bullets that were 30 fps faster than the others landed a good 60" higher. And the different length bullets changed the internal ballistics enough to raise the velocity about 50 fps. Luckily, I segregated all the bullets into rows according to the ogive length so we could account for the different ballistics.

We were running 96 grains of RL25 behind the 300 MK. WIth bullets all measuring the same ogive, we were getting SD's of 6,7, and 8. Average velocity was 3005.

Another thing that we noticed was when the wind shifted by the gong so that it was blowing at us, the bullet dropped about 3 minutes more. That is over 60" of drop! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

We believe that David Tubb's meplat trimming tool will help in our quest for the most consistent bullets. We will test it on our next outing and post results.

Anyway, here are the pics:

Here is us getting ready to fire.
gettinready.jpg

Here is a pic of the 2000 yard range. The target circled in blue is the 100 yard target where we had to be 40" high! The green circle is around the gong! LOOONG WAAAAY!

greencirclearoundgong.jpg

Here's Brian getting ready to let one rip!

brianshooting.jpg

Here is what the gong looks like through my Swaro Spotter at 2000 yards. The scope is on 30x and the camera is zoomed all the way in.
2000yardgongspotter.jpg

Here is Brian checking for a hole in the box.
briancheckinggong.jpg

This one is really cool. We aimed the scope at the gong and pulled the bolt out and looked down the bore. It was pointing at the top of Mt. Timpanogos (circled in yellow) and the bullets were dropping into the gong pit! (circled in red)
timpaim.jpg

Here's 7mmrhb and Brian B.
brianandroland.jpg

This pic is from the gong pit looking back at my truck squared in pink and in the next zip code.
blazerfromgong.jpg

Two happy dudes!
bandrhit.jpg

Jared's hit. Way to go Jared! Call me if you need some backup as a witness at work tomorrow!
jaredhit.jpg

If you can't tell, I'm happy!
myhit.jpg

All the tape spots are shots. The groups ain't bad. We fired a total of 40 shots today and if you count the tape marks, you will see that a good portion of the shots hit the box! We averaged 1 hit every 10 shots.
gongandbox.jpg

We found these two bullets at 2 grand. Weight retention was pretty good considering they slammed into fine gravel.
2000yardbullets.jpg

Overall, I'd say it was a good day! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
P.S. If some of the pics don't download, you may have to click on this post twice and wait a minute. There is a lot of info for the computer to eat.

That is some awsome stuff. I cant wait to meet you guys. It will be an absolute riot.

Today at the range Gonehuntingagain and I kept marveling about the distance that 2000 yards really is especially compared to the 600 we were shooting today. We even stopped on the road home today with one truck and tried to drive 2000 yards away with the other truck to see what it looked like. Well we couldn't find a stretch of road that was flat enough to allow us to see each other at 2K without one of us dropping behind a rolling hill. At one point we did end up looking back at a speed limit size sign from 2500 yards. I showed the family what 1 mile looked like on the drive through town since our main streets are laid out on a 1 mile grid. If you are at one stop light and can see the next one that is a mile.

1760 is a long way and 2K is longer.

It is just frickin' insane.

Thanks for the pictures. You have been coming up with some really cool stuff lately. 5 stars coming up.

Hey guys those are some great pics. Down here in NC we are doing good to get 1000 yards. I was curious what your gong is made of?

goodgrouper,

Thank you for sharing the story and photos. Looks like you guys are having a blast.
I've got a question for you and the boys.
What is the difference between the 338 Laupa Improved and the 338 RUM?

Keep the dialog and photos comming, I really enjoy reading your threads.

Best Regards,

JD338

goodgrouper, great post! I always look forward to seeing pictures of what everybody is up to. In the picture looking back at your truck, is that a ranch or something? Looks real remote out there.

goodgrouper

either metplat tool from Dave Tooley or Kevin Cram (montour rifles) on this site. Kevins tool is SS and very high quality.

However with the 338, it is extremely important to sort by base to ogive. I have used the two stoney point tools but the best is the John Buhay Ogive Checker ($125) from RW Hart, page 19 on their catalog. $40 for caliber conversions. If you see David Tubbs site and his tool, John is building it for Tubbs. Base to ogive can vary by as much as .020 in same box of 500 with the 338 SMks.

BH

It is 3/8" thick armor hardened steel from Action Target, Orem Utah. It isn't the stuff they shoot at, it is the stuff they line the walls of the idoor ranges with. The 1/16" deep crater in it was from 200 yards with a HOT loaded .257 WBY with 80 grain bullets doing something like 4050 Fps. This load has cut right through other gongs made of hardened steel, but not this one.

It is light and makes a great tone!

The main difference in terms of Ultra long range accuracy between the .338 Ultra and the .338 Lap Mag improved is quality of brass.
The Lapua imp holds more powder, but not quite as much as the .338-.378 improved. I researched the crap out of all the possible wildcats for this project, including calculating powder-to-bore ratios, and the Lapua imp was the most efficient and inherently accurate combo I could find.
It gives up about 100 fps to the .338-.378 Improved, but should give better barrel life. And we saw that 100 fps at 2000 yards is easy to compensate for, it's the consistency that is really critical.

Interestingly, comparing the .338 Lap AI to the 6.5-.284, they are almost identical proportionately. In other words, they should exhibit similiar barrel life and accuracy potential.

That building is a huge processing plant for a local farm. It is bigger than a super Wal-Mart.

This place is not as remote as it looks. It is only about a 40 minute drive from the northern Provo/Orem area.
The pic of us aiming at the top of Mt. Timpanogos is funny to us because we live at the base of that mountain! It is also the same mountain where I shot my 820 yard cow elk!

I measured all the base-to-ogive measurements for this shoot and sorted them into rows in the ammo box. I have gotten pretty good at using the Stoney Point tool, but I am interested in the meplat uniformer. Brian B called Tubb today to order, but they are out! How do we get a hold of Mr. Tooley or Mr. Cram?

just a tad low and left

The left is probably due to the spin drift. If you were shooting due south the Coriolis effect would move you 1/2 MOA to the right, shooting due north 1/2 MOA to the left. Normally only artillery worries about Coriolis effect and Spin Drift, but at these ranges your big gun has to too!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.