.20 Caliber Wildcat

mghoodlum

I am just a few weeks away from taking possession of a custom built .20 cal wildcat. The parent cartridge is the .22-250. I have taken the parent cartridge and "Ackleyized" as well as moving the shoulder up about 0.045". I also recently acquired a 20X47 Lapua so it will be interesting to see how much help the extra powder is. Since this is a new cartridge I have come up with a few names for it and wanted to get a vote on the names:

1. The .20 Hood Magnum (named after myself of course)
2. The .20 Rapture (bringing The Rapture to Predators everywhere)
3. The .20 Chupacabra (Mythical Mexican hairless dog)

Once I get the rifle back I will report back. I researched others peoples experience with hot .20 cals and bullets seem to be the main issue. I ordered some custom Don Unsmuig bullets that others had reported favorable with so hopefully that problem is already solved. I hope for +/- 4,500 fps and well over 400 yards of maximum point blank range with 38-40g bullets. lightbulb

Sounds cool. What's the niche' your trying to fill? Curious is all.
Why a .20 cal? A .223wssm can be loaded to well over 4500 fps, & you have a bigger bullet selection.
Don't get me wrong, I kinda like the wildcat idea, it just seems a bit handicapped from the start due to bullets like you said. It will be interesting to see what it'll do when lead meets fur tho! I'm looking forward to more posts.
I vote chupacobra.

The majority of the information I gathered came from here.

Dave Affleck's article on the .20-250.

This round is just slightly more extreme. Someday in the future I may have to get another barrel for it to shoot the longer 55g bullets to make it at extremely small 1000yd rifle but for now the nitch would be fur friendly (if i can keep bullet splash down) and long point blank range. I just really like the sub-calibers too.

You may really be on to something. I like the whole fur friendly theory. Small bullet, going at extremely high rate of speed. Yep, I'm thinkin shot placement & range/velocity upon impact.... I'll bet it won't take long till you find the sweet spot range/velocity wise, to keep the frags down.
Now you have my interests up. Hurry up & put it togather so we can see what it'll do!:D
That thing sounds cooler everytime I think about it.

Me to!!! Always loved the smaller stuff because of their friendliness to fur. Tried for years to perfect the .17 rem. never could get any of my factory rifles to shoot less than 1", but when they did connect it was always bang/flop and you couldnt find the hole. Bought the 204 ruger when it first came out and was absolutely amazed. it shoots like a laser and is real fur friendly. it is now my go to gun for coyotes until late in the season. i ahved killed over 50 with it and all but one were one shot kills. Good luck with the new shooter, and keep us informed.

PS: i like the .20 chupacabra

If your a small caliber guy the www.sabuier.com is the place to hang.

The Berger 55gr .20's have a BC of .381. it is becoming a hot bullet in the large cased .20's a 20-250 can push it around 3700FPS.... That smokes most of the large .22's with less windrift and recoil. If I remember right a guy just took a PD with a .20BR @ 1028 yards setting the new .20 cal record.
One word for a .20...FUN!

Good luck!

Jon

I don't like the Rapture name as it is religious theory.
The last name is to long and not easy to pronounse.
I would keep looking for a name.
The 20's are a great cal thou. Good luck with it.

I saw your project posted somewhere else, but can't remember where now. Sounds like a fun one. I ran your numbers of 40's at 4500 and i think you're gonna be lucky to net 400 yds. PBR for it on a 6" target. I always establish PBR for no more than 3/4ths actual tgt. size, which in the case of coyotes would be ~4" or so. Figuring a BC of ~.28 for the various 40's at 4500 my PBR calcs. would be about 350-360 (310 yd. zero @ 4000 ft. elevation). I've seen buddies try to extend their PBR's on coyotes, and they usually end up overshooting them at 200ish yds. or so. Does sound like a great project though.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.