1st time long range shooting experience

kshunter

Two weeks ago I took two friends of mine long range shooting for the first time. One of them has only shot about a box of shells through a center fire rifle in his life the other is an avid hunter. We pulled up to our range on our farm with targets at 100, 350, 550 and 750 yds. They thought I was kidding when they saw the two farthest targets. I did some explaining about LRS basics. Then we did some calculating for their firearms. One was shooting a savage edge in 30-06 with a Center Point Scope from walmart. The other has a Win mod 70 sporter barreled 300 win mag with the same scope from wal-mart. I hand loaded some 168 A-maxes for both rigs. After wind readings and hold over calculations they were in complete shock and all smiles when they were both ringing the 550 and 750yd gongs consistently. Just wanted to share this story because it goes to show that anyone can get involved in the LRS community. These were two wal-mart rigs with good ammo. I would not suggest anyone try to take a game animal at those ranges with those rigs. Just neat to see more folks get interested in LRS!

Oh I know trebark its a pretty cool feelin! Can't wait to see their face when we move back to 1320yd marker next time! Don't know if the wal-mart rigs will do that but ill let them shoot mine. I also introduced my 14 year old cousin and he is hooked now!

These were two wal-mart rigs with good ammo. I would not suggest anyone try to take a game animal at those ranges with those rigs.

Why not? I'm sure you didn't mean that to be as snooty as it sounds. If they are consistent at that range their first time out, then why build on their success? You don't need a $2000 rifle with a $1500 scope to be effective at those ranges. If it's the scopes I'm thinking of then they probably have a mildot reticle in them. I don't know if I would trust the turrets to be accurate and repeatable but if they will hold a zero then use the mils for holdovers/ hold offs.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.