Help with a 1st time Range/Hunting Rifle

wkevin98

New member (at least to posting) and wanted to ask for some opinions. I've been hunting and do the minimum amount of target shooting - just 100 yard work to get some tight groups and then to the field. I do consider myself a decent shot and have taken 3-400 yard calculated shots from the RUM at a known distance.

I've found myself wanting to start doing some longer range shooting and want to put together a gun to do that. I've read for the last month on plenty of sites including this one, different ways to do that. My head is spinning with all the different caliber options, actions to build off of, and more. I do think that I may want to keep this gun somewhat able to carry into the field, so I'm starting to lean away from the heavy benchrest, large scoped kind of gun.

Right now I'm shooting only factory ammo, but did some reloading when I was younger and will be soon finishing up my reloading room to get back into it. I currently hunt with a .270 Winchester model 70, and a 300 RUM in a Remington SPS with a BC stock and Timney trigger on it. I've been able to put 3 shot groups together with factory ammo at 1" or less with both - only needing some practice to get there.

Now I find myself wanting to dive deeper into it and do more shooting, and at longer ranges. I don't think either of these guns are really the answer, although I like both calibers and I'm willing to look at either.

A couple of options I've considered:
- 300 win mag. in a Tikka tactical
- picking up a used Sendero and shooting it until it needs a barrel and go custom
- picking up a used bench gun to get my feet wet

I'm not opposed to starting with a wildcat, but I thought a more traditional gun might be easier for me to get started with, and learn to reload that first.

I'm also thinking of holding back on spending the big bucks on a nice build until I get better and more involved in the art of longer range shooting.

Any thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

... wanting to start doing some longer range shooting and want to put together a gun to do that.
... I may want to keep this gun somewhat able to carry into the field
... I currently hunt with a .270 Winchester model 70, and a 300 RUM
... I find myself wanting to dive deeper into it and do more shooting, ... at longer ranges.
... I don't think either of these guns are really the answer, although I like both calibers and I'm willing to look at either.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm also thinking of holding back on spending the big bucks on a nice build until I get better and more involved in the art of longer range shooting.

Any thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

Thoughts:
You already have a fine rifle for long range shooting. The 300 RUM will do just about everything you'll need it to do for developing long range hunting skills. Your 300 RUM may not meet all your expectations using factory ammo but if you reload for it I don't see any reason why you'd need to replace it at this juncture.
In your place I'd tune up the 300 RUM, fine tune the shooting skills and put away the bucks for a custom rifle when you're ready to make the move.

I guess maybe I'm getting too caught up in the custom gun builds and supposedly better shooting factory rifles, but I figured I needed to at least be using a custom barrel to start playing the 1000 game and other long distance shots.

The 300 probably has 200 rounds on it and I'd really like to just keep this rifle dedicated to hunting rather then shooting the barrel out of it. I suppose I could but I think I'll want different optics on it for the long range stuff also - leupold mark 4, 3.5x10 just seems light on the power for distance.

I guess maybe I'm getting too caught up in the custom gun builds and supposedly better shooting factory rifles, but I figured I needed to at least be using a custom barrel to start playing the 1000 game and other long distance shots.

The 300 probably has 200 rounds on it and I'd really like to just keep this rifle dedicated to hunting rather then shooting the barrel out of it. I suppose I could but I think I'll want different optics on it for the long range stuff also - leupold mark 4, 3.5x10 just seems light on the power for distance.
The Rum will do but they are very hard on barrels and of course the ammo is very expensive even when you reload.

You'd be dollars ahead in the long run I think if you'd look at maybe a .260, 6.5CM, or .308 in a nice tactical platform if you plan on shooting a lot which is of course required if you really want to become proficient at long range.

As for scopes many of us have kills on game at 1,000yds or beyond with amax of 10 power but more power can certainly be helpful.

The Mark 4 is a great scope, I have several of them in 4.5-14x50 and 8.5-25x50 as well.

You really don't have to spend that kind of money though unless you want to but I encourage anyone to figure out the most they can possibly afford to spend on glass then increase it by about 20% and save for another month or two and get the best you possibly can.

Winchester, Remington, Savage, and Tikka all make reasonably priced rifles in the calibers above that would fit your application so give it a good long think and look at the dollar savings figuring 1000rds of ammo and the replacement of a barrel on your rum every 600-800rds. You can stretch it further if you never shoot one hot but if you are doing a lot of shooting it will go pretty fast.

I am starting to think this way as well - looking at the .260 rem and 6.5 x 284, and such in that neighborhood. Less recoil, cheaper to shoot, and still very good down the range. The 7 mm stuff still interests me however.

I love that Mark 4 on the 300 I shoot now, but the 10.5 power just seems light for longer distances. Yes I know, people do shoot with 10 power, but I can see I'm one of the guys that likes more zoom. I also agree with spending the bucks on the scope as well.

i would get a sendero ( 1stchoice) ; 2 nd a 5-r, 3 rd a remington 700 long range. i prefer 300 win to the rum. get what you like. i would selll the 10x scope and sps. 4.5-14 min, 6.5-20 better.

89, all suggested rifles are fine, but you are doing them a disservice shooting factory ammo. This can be proven by working up hand loads for your current rifles, you should get much greater accuracy in them. With loads tuned to a specific rifle, you will never look at the factory stuff again. Rarely do two identical rifles like the same load, the factory loads ammo to shoot in everything in a certain caliber. You want to shoot to the magical 1000, but I personally don't know anyone who has done it accurately with the factory offerings. Choose the rifle, scope and caliber you like, but perhaps spend some on good reloading equipment as well. The forum members will help with your choices and start you toward 1000. Good luck

Dosh - I agree on reloading and its why I'm stoked to get back into it. I've even put a window to shoot from, in the reloading room and will have 100 & 200 yard targets set - basically letting me shoot from the reloading bench. I think that will be a fun easy way to experiment with loads.

I do plan on reloading for the rifles I have now, its just that I think I'll want to get into something with a heavier or custom barrel and something intended for steady/consistent long range.

89, all suggested rifles are fine, but you are doing them a disservice shooting factory ammo. This can be proven by working up hand loads for your current rifles, you should get much greater accuracy in them. With loads tuned to a specific rifle, you will never look at the factory stuff again. Rarely do two identical rifles like the same load, the factory loads ammo to shoot in everything in a certain caliber. You want to shoot to the magical 1000, but I personally don't know anyone who has done it accurately with the factory offerings. Choose the rifle, scope and caliber you like, but perhaps spend some on good reloading equipment as well. The forum members will help with your choices and start you toward 1000. Good luck
I agree, you seldom find factory ammo that maintains 1000 yard accuracy.
Powder preference, seating depth, etc. etc. Are unique to what makes a rifle a 1000 yard gun.

Maybe the question I need to ask everyone is this - Besides reloading and working my own loads for a rifle, what are some of the important things I need to consider to start out with the rifle itself?

barrel? twist? length?
weight?
caliber?

I'm just having a hard time deciding on where to start and what to build on.

i would get a sendero ( 1stchoice) ; 2 nd a 5-r, 3 rd a remington 700 long range. i prefer 300 win to the rum. get what you like. i would selll the 10x scope and sps. 4.5-14 min, 6.5-20 better.

WKevin- that is what i would do. you could always add a krieger barrel in a year. my firend and i have both some with krieger barrels, some with factory barrels, in various calibers 6.5-284, 7mm rem , 264, and 300 win and rum. a sendero is a compromise on weight for hunting. heavier is better for long range.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.