1st time rebarrel/stock

jon12

Hey yall might have already seen my posts in the other parts of this site. I just found this site and its seems really
helpful. I just wanted to see what yall thought for my idea for my hunting rifle.
I have a remington model 700 bdl 30-06 with wood stock and 22in blued barrel. It actaully used to shoot extremely
well for a factory gun but it was my dads before i had it and it is at least 15-20 years old with no telling how many
rounds fired through it and i believe the accuracy has slipped quite a bit. I would like to rebarrel and restock it to
get a little improvement of caliber and big improvement of accuracy with as little money as possible(cant afford a
full blown custom rifle built on my action seeing as how im actually only 16 yrs old which i wasnt gunna mention but i noticed earlier someone joined this site who was 14 and yall dont seem to mind). I am though really into accuracy
and know a whole lot for my age(or even for an adult really) and would like to get more into shooting long range.
My idea is to send my action to pac nor and have them install a super match grade stainless barrel(220 for
countoured blank and 200 for install and true action). I want it chambered for 280 ackley improved since i
wouldnt have to open my bolt face to magnum, it wouldnt kick bad, and it just about matched 7 rem mag in
ballistics, easily beating 30-06, 25-06, and 270 win. Plus, huge selection of 7mm bullets and alot have high bc. I
would probably get about a #5 contour 26" barrel. Want as heavy as practicle for a hunting rifle to haul around.
Then, i would order an HS precision stock from cabelas or somebody like that (cabelas has pro series stocks for 260
bucks). I dont know wether i would the the varmit one or the sporter but probably the varmit(any opinions??) but i
would want the front sling swivel in a position where it would accomidate my harris bipod.
I would then have a local gunsmith glass bed the action and make sure the barrel is free floated.
Is this a good idea or is there problems with this plan i dont forsee? What kind of accuracy can i expect out of this
rig and will i be happy with the money i spent? The parts as i see it only come out to 680 bucks, plus of course
shipping costs and the gunsmiths cost, which isnt bad(eventhough i have very little money right now i will be
starting a job soon and saving for this purpose, Dang shouldnt have spent all my money on my truck, haha). Is
there any other costs im not forseeing(besides brass/dies)?
Thanks for any help as im young and new to this as i said, sorry it turned out so dang long.
by the way the rifle aready has a zeiss 4.5-14x44 conquest in leupold mounts and a shilen trigger at 2# courtesy of
my dad. And we do hand load, i do alot myself and am actually more painstaking with the handweighing of
charges and case prep than my dad is.
Thanks again.

Jon,

Welcome to this site. The 280 Ackley is a great round. As far as I am concerned you plan sounds pretty good.

Your plan seems to be an effective general purpose long range rifle.

A few key items to consider. Stock, make sure that it is the one you want. A stock is a very personal choice that has to fit you (LOP) and the application. Another thing to consider: Call a couple of good smiths, talk to them about this rifle. Barrel Contour is one thing, Length is another. Balance is crucial for off hand shooting.

Get ready to spend alot of money, this is one very expensive hobby.

Read alot, don't be afraid to ask questions.

welcome,the 280ai is a great choice,where do u hunt?what kind of distances are u talking about?what will u be hunting?will most your shooting be done done off of a pod?u may want to consider the sendero contour-but the answers to to those questions might help to find what will suit u best.as stated stock choice is a serious consideration,dont rush anything on building a custom rig -u may regret your choices later,my-2-dave

Jon12

280 AI is a great cartridge.

If you are talking about a 10 lb walk around gun, you are on right path. I would not think the sporter stock would balance out with that barrel. To save money try to find used sendaro stock (normally $125-150) or used laminated Rem ($50-75) and have it skim bedded. That is for a hunting gun. Do not forget to add a heavy trued recoil lug to the parts list ($30-40)and have it pinned when it is put on.

BH

Thanks for the help. Most of my shooting will be either off my bipod or out of an elevated box blind(besides off of a bench with sand bags). My longest shots will be down those long straight south texas senderos but probably limited (on game at least)to 300-400 yards depending on just how good i can get and how good my rifle shoots and hopefully i can extend my range as i practice and get more comfy. I do think the varmit stock would be better and i agree that the sporter stock just wouldnt feel right with a heavy barrel(i just dont like tactical stocks). I also do like the Sendero contour, how does it commpare to the #4 and #5 countours and will most barrel makers turn "sendero" or "remington varmit" for the same price as a #4 or #5?
Can anyone give me an idea of what kind of accuracy i can expect with a hunting load for our little bodided texas whitetails, something like a 120 gr nos BT, or maybe up to a 139 gr hornady IB or swift sirocco or something?

i shot 2 deer with the swift this past season. i used my 7mm rem and they were both in the 325 or 350 yard range. preformace was really good. the one buck that i shot it went in the last rib on the right side and it exited the front left shoulder. it put a big hole through and the meat bamage wasnt that bad. the load that i was using was keeping 5 in side and inch at 100 and about 1.5 at 200.

try the 120 v max for varmiting. they are a really accurate bullet in my 7mm. good luck with you project. i have one that needs to be wraped up with winter but im laking the $$$ to finish right now.

Jon,

I'd say .5" for 5 shots will be very easily done, I just had a rifle done on a rem 700 by pac-nor in 6.5-284 and I can say that it shoots alot better than I am capable of.

Good shootin
Brian

[ 01-27-2004: Message edited by: Brian Rybicky ]

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.