1st long range setup/going to be wife's primary gun

Thatdoggjake

The wife and I archery hunt most of the year, but we have a deer lease in east Texas that we rifle hunt and this will be our third year in a row to rifle hunt Kansas. My wife has been shooting my browning a-bolt .270 with a bushnell elite 3200 scope and 140 grain bullet for the last handful of years. This is my primary rifle but she uses it when she hunts and now it is time to get her something of her own. Most of the mature East Texas bucks we take field dress 135. I would also like a gun for her to be able to take an elk with as she has several draw points in a handful of states. What gun, caliber, grain and scope would you get? I'd like to be able to shoot out to 400-600 yards. Somewhat stay price reasonable. I do not plan to reload an ammo and the gun will only be shot a few times and year. Of those few times a year most of the bullets will be shot with the intentions of killing something. My wife is 5'5" 115lbs, but strong as a bill and sometimes mean as heck. I would probably shoot this gun a bit myself. Of course I'm a much bigger guy at 6'3 215lbs. I've been looking around and have an idea of what I am thinking about, but wanted to hear what you guys said first. Thanks.

7mm-08 with mono's would be the minimum I'd want my wife shooting.

FWIW,

I am building my wife a 280 AI with a break. It will be set up to shoot 168gr Barnes LRX's

I've done a number of 6.5x284's for ladies, little easier on the shoulder but you gain with the ballistics of the 140 Berger. My best friends wife was using a 270 but it was just a touch to much, she LOVES her 6.5x284!!!

What about if I scratch the idea of the long shot elk. What would y'all think about the tikka t3 CTR .260 with a viper 6-24x50? Possibly a recoil pad and/or muzzle brake

You don't have to forget the long shots with a 260 but you are really limiting the 260 with a 20" barrel with a short action.

I called beretta today who distributes Tikkas in the US and after talking toone of the guys there he was leaning towards the Tikka t3 LTE 7mm-08 if it is going to be my wife's primary rifle. He said tge CTR is good, but she might bot like the 9 lbs and i think he is right, even though the lighter rifle might kick more. Any thoughts on this one with a vortex viper scope. The rep said I should accurately get out to about 500 yards without much problem. I also like the stainless steel barrel. Any thoughts on that?

It's hard to go wrong with both the T3 and 7mm-08. I'm putting the magnum away for a 708 myself. I sure wouldn't go with a scope with 6X minimum magnification on a "short" range (or any range) rifle though. I'm thinking 3-18 is ideal for a all purpose scope.

elk at 400-600 . sendero. with a brake.
A sendero on 7mm STW and a decent brake would be ideal for her application. One in 7mm Rem Mag would be a close second.

My wife shoots 180's out of my 300 Rum Sendero just fine so one in 300wm would be a good choice as well.

The rem Long range in 300wm would be a good choice as well at a lower entry price if budget is a consideration.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.