1st elk hunt need rifle advice

I have Swarovski 10x42s and a new kuiu pack. I have been slowly gearing up for this hunt with the proper equipment. Even if it costs more I believe in the phrase "buy once, cry once". I'm getting all first lite clothing (I have a crazy good discount code). So when it comes to gear I won't be going cheap.

What it broke down to is i wanted to get a rifle that I would have zero doubt in. As i can clearly see .300 is on the top of 90% of people's recommendation. So if I do get a rifle it will probably be a .300.
That is fantastic to hear. Then as far as a new rifle goes, I am a huge believer in the 30 Calibers as well, great choice!

Last edited:
If you don't mind dealing with a muzzle brake go 300 win mag, you can find ammo anywhere, in a very wide variety of bullet weights, Shooting long range will almost force you to become a reloader, you will not have to start over if you start with a 300 win,it will handle anything in North America with authority and with a brake it won't beat you up. My 2 cts
Who needs a muzzle break on a 300WM hunting rifle?

I have Swarovski 10x42s and a new kuiu pack. I have been slowly gearing up for this hunt with the proper equipment. Even if it costs more I believe in the phrase "buy once, cry once". I'm getting all first lite clothing (I have a crazy good discount code). So when it comes to gear I won't be going cheap.

What it broke down to is i wanted to get a rifle that I would have zero doubt in. As i can clearly see .300 is on the top of 90% of people's recommendation. So if I do get a rifle it will probably be a .300.

Praise God:D

Who needs a muzzle break on a 300WM hunting rifle?
Anyone who wants less recoil. I have muzzle brakes on my AR15s. I'd put them on my 22-250, 308, and 270 if it they were threaded.

For one shot on an elk in October, they are absolutely not necessary. For the other 500 rounds fired the rest of the year, to become a skilled shooter, they help a lot.

300 win mag is good elk medicine. I also have a 325 wsm and like to know I have enough KE to get the job done if I don't make a perfect shot. Also I stopped by three stores last week looking for 6.5 prc ammo in the ELD-X and was only able to find two boxes

Go with a 7mm Rem Mag, you dont need more. With the 270 you can push up to 500 yards no problem, with the 7 mag you can go to 1,000, now you will have a rig that can go longer than the 270 for when you might need it.

With the availability of ammo in the 7mm you can't go wrong, also better barrel life, good availability of large for caliber bullets available and little recoil.

You want a new toy and you can afford it, get it. The 270 will do the job but the 7 Mag will do it better. You don't have to go to a 30 caliber cartridge but it is also an option.

Hello all! I'm new to the forum but have been lurking for awhile.

This coming hunting season I have my first (hopefully not last) back packing elk hunt. I currently have a .270 but would like to set up a new light weight rifle for longer range shooting, backpacking, and elk hunting.

I don't have much long range shooting experience, I usually do stand hunting within 300 yards for whitetail in Georgia.

I have considered:
Weatherby mark V
Bergara premier
Christensen arms ridgeline
CA Mesa (would put the additional funds to better optics)

I want to keep the rifle under $2000. I still haven't figured out my optics as of yet but it would be around the same $2000

As for a caliber I'm considering:
6.5 creedmor
6.5 prc
28 nosler
7mm
300 win

I wanted a "do all" caliber that would work for elk but would also potentially work for deer. I've never hand loaded nor do I plan on going down the rabbit hole anytime soon so I would be using over the counter ammunition for the time being.

Any helpful advice would be appreciated

Thanks
Dan
Just an idea but the 300 PRC would be a good choice too if you don't reload. Otherwise I like my 28 Nosler with the 195 gr EOL.

OP sounds like he has his gear list well stacked! I am a First Lite supporter for base layers and socks for sure. Wearing it feels like a full time nite woman snuggling you all day... lol

I have hunted Elk for over 20 years in Idaho. I personally love 300 Mag, or 300 WSM. My dad has killed elk his whole life with a 270 with no issues though. The Christensen Ridgeline in 300 win is a good choice, but you'll want the break installed. I used 210 VLD hunters in mine and never had an animal go very far.

If interested I am selling my NEW Remington 700 CDL, SF, 7MM Mag, with Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x50 scope mounts rings aluminum lens caps cover, 3 extra stocks (reak tree camo, thumb hole nutmeg color), everything new, weith original box, documents and boxes, $1600. See pictures on this site under classified. Send questions to [email protected] for pictures. Located in Wilmington, NC

Any of those would obviously work. My vote would be the 6.5 PRC. I think you should add the 280AI to your list. The 280AI would be a sweet do it all that can reach out and touch them a long ways away with reasonable recoil.
I have a Rem .280 and have shot it for many years and absolutely love it. I know the .280AI is better in many regards. Can you tell me how much better?

Hello all! I'm new to the forum but have been lurking for awhile.

This coming hunting season I have my first (hopefully not last) back packing elk hunt. I currently have a .270 but would like to set up a new light weight rifle for longer range shooting, backpacking, and elk hunting.

I don't have much long range shooting experience, I usually do stand hunting within 300 yards for whitetail in Georgia.

I have considered:
Weatherby mark V
Bergara premier
Christensen arms ridgeline
CA Mesa (would put the additional funds to better optics)

I want to keep the rifle under $2000. I still haven't figured out my optics as of yet but it would be around the same $2000

As for a caliber I'm considering:
6.5 creedmor
6.5 prc
28 nosler
7mm
300 win

I wanted a "do all" caliber that would work for elk but would also potentially work for deer. I've never hand loaded nor do I plan on going down the rabbit hole anytime soon so I would be using over the counter ammunition for the time being.

Any helpful advice would be appreciated

Thanks
Dan
Ruger has the New Hawkeye Precision Rifle in the 6.5 PRC.(Creedmoors big brother)
Also take a look at the Ruger Hawkeye Guide Gun in .338 RCM (Ruger Compac Mag) ~ the 185g is nice for Elk, 225g for anything on the big side.
Nice ballistics compared to the other short msgs.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.