1st elk hunt need rifle advice

Pick up a 300 WM. Never the wrong answer for elk. The 215 gr Berger is just made for elk. Abm ammo is available.
Ammo is everywhere and the cartridge is very versatile. The 300 gets it done with authority. I like the sendero line of Remington guns and should fit your budget well. BUT you might be better off doing a remage setup and picking your components, rather than a complete gun. I'm a little picky and like semi custom guns.

If it's a one time elk hunt and then deer inside 300 yards for the foreseeable future. AND you don't want to reload. I would go with the 6.5 PRC and keep the shots within 600 yards.
Personally, I would go with a Savage Long Range Hunter and put the most money in a good scope and plenty of ammo to practice, practice, practice, and practice some more with.
The Hornady ammo will be plenty accurate for that distance and probably the most cost effective you can buy.
It is important though that you know where you will be hunting and what shot opportunities it will bring. Then pick the cartridge based on that.

Lots of great advice here. Anything .270 is adequate but 30 and up is better!

I dont feel 6.5 is an elk caliber. Its just not enough muscle for an animal that size.

Here is my testimony: my first bull a few years ago came at the end of a grueling 5 day hunt and the only shot I had was an offhand, 90yd shot quartering to me through the biggest bone of the shoulder. I don't feel a 6.5 would make that shot cleanly and I would either wound him or had to have passed my only opportunity. Either way its a tag sandwich with a 6.5 bullet. As it was, I was holding a 9.3x62 stoked with 250gr accubonds and I let the hammer drop right through that big shoulder! Bullet struck the point of the shoulder, crushed a baseball bat size shoulder bone and went through the heart on the way to its offside hip. 2 giant elk leaps and it was time to break out the skinning knife!
Elk hunts should be grueling, it makes you appreciate them more when you are successful! So put the odds of making a hard angle shot in your favor and pick a .30+ caliber.
Happy Hunting
James

Where are you hunting and when are you hunting? Any number of rifles will kill elk. Do you have the gear to stay in elk country long enough to find one, stalk one, and then shoot one? Even after he's dead there is a lot more suffering for you and your camp to get him home.

I've done a lot of big mountain hunting in August, September and October for mule deer. I had an elk tag a couple years ago and it's a whole other story in November. I would worry a lot more about my gear, ability to stay warm and dry, than what rifle to use.

Here is a few things I learned from hunting tioga unit elk in Oregon. Don't walk away from the truck with a gun you don't wanna carry all day! Don't shoot a bull you're not ready too carry out! If your buddy kills a elk , your hunt is over until that animal is taken care of! When your lungs hurt, your legs burn, remember this is fun!

First of all you are looking for an excuse to purchase a new rifle. So go for it. A new rifle is always a good thing. The enjoyment of picking the rifle out, getting the perfect scope, sighting it in, practicing and learning what loads or types of ammo shot well and etc. I love to hunt elk. There is not an animal that I respect more. But I've never had the opportunity to hunt in Canada, Alaska or over seas. Now for the caliber. There is no doubt that any of the calibers you mentioned will do the job. But I do feel that the 28 and 30 caliber that will handle the larger bullets are a little better for elk. If you make a little mistake with your shot placement I feel that the larger caliber gives you a better chance for recovery of the animal. Will admit that most of my elk have been shot with in 100 yards. But it's a nice feeling to know (providing a person has put the time into practicing and understanding his firearm) that you can reach out to that 800 plus yards. The 7mmrm and 300wm are good choices for someone that doesn't reload. Lots of factory ammo available and can probably find it almost every where. And yes a muzzle brake is a good idea. Please remember I am not trying to tell anyone that I'm right, these are just my opinions. Good luck with your decisions and have fun on your hunt.

Lots of great advice here. Anything .270 is adequate but 30 and up is better!

I dont feel 6.5 is an elk caliber. Its just not enough muscle for an animal that size.

Here is my testimony: my first bull a few years ago came at the end of a grueling 5 day hunt and the only shot I had was an offhand, 90yd shot quartering to me through the biggest bone of the shoulder. I don't feel a 6.5 would make that shot cleanly and I would either wound him or had to have passed my only opportunity. Either way its a tag sandwich with a 6.5 bullet. As it was, I was holding a 9.3x62 stoked with 250gr accubonds and I let the hammer drop right through that big shoulder! Bullet struck the point of the shoulder, crushed a baseball bat size shoulder bone and went through the heart on the way to its offside hip. 2 giant elk leaps and it was time to break out the skinning knife!
Elk hunts should be grueling, it makes you appreciate them more when you are successful! So put the odds of making a hard angle shot in your favor and pick a .30+ caliber.
Happy Hunting
James
I love the 9.3x62 it just crushes elk my shots were at 300 yds. 250 gr. barnes x

What ever you do don't sell your .270, it will handle elk with good bullets and is a grate cartridge for smaller game even at long range. Out of the cartridges you are thinking I'd go with the 300 Win. Mag. As many have said a true elk caliber starts at .30 caliber and goes up. I have taken elk with .270 Win., .300 Win. mag., and .35 Whelen, the later has become my favorite of the many I have. I think for elk the medium bores are the best, with the .338's and .358's being the best and they also work very well on smaller game with out any sever meat loss.

I have Swarovski 10x42s and a new kuiu pack. I have been slowly gearing up for this hunt with the proper equipment. Even if it costs more I believe in the phrase "buy once, cry once". I'm getting all first lite clothing (I have a crazy good discount code). So when it comes to gear I won't be going cheap.

What it broke down to is i wanted to get a rifle that I would have zero doubt in. As i can clearly see .300 is on the top of 90% of people's recommendation. So if I do get a rifle it will probably be a .300.

I have Swarovski 10x42s and a new kuiu pack. I have been slowly gearing up for this hunt with the proper equipment. Even if it costs more I believe in the phrase "buy once, cry once". I'm getting all first lite clothing (I have a crazy good discount code). So when it comes to gear I won't be going cheap.

What it broke down to is i wanted to get a rifle that I would have zero doubt in. As i can clearly see .300 is on the top of 90% of people's recommendation. So if I do get a rifle it will probably be a .300.
Good choice if you do get a new rifle plus you can have your .270 that can still fill in if need or as a back up rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.