1st elk hunt need rifle advice

If you are using the hunt as an opportunity for a new rifle I would say go for it and get one. Of the cartridges you listed I personally like the 28 Nosler or 7MM RM as a "do-all". But where you do not reload I would steer clear of the 28 Nosler. The 6.5 PRC seems to be gaining ground and looks like a great cartridge. Of the cartridges on the list, and not being a reloader, I would suggest the 300 Win Mag or 7MM Rem Mag. There are a ton of factory ammo offerings for both in a wide range of bullet weights to suit just about any need you will have.
Do some digging online and at your local stores to check the availability of ammo and the prices for each. That will narrow your list down to 3: 6.5 PRC, 7MM RM and 300 Win Mag. Any of those three will work well.

Oh hell I'll wade in; Fifty one years of killing elk, I kinda like bigger, heavier bullets. mom use to shoot them with a 257 bob, but for an elk rifle I'd go with the big sevens or the 300. I like fast 338 myself.

You must be my brother from twin mothers! My mom took several with 257Roberts! Dad took over a hundred with 270 and 3006!
In 57 years I've taken over 100 bulls with everything from 243 to
338LM! Shot numerous cows! But I so agree with you.....big 30 and bigger 338

Hello all! I'm new to the forum but have been lurking for awhile.

This coming hunting season I have my first (hopefully not last) back packing elk hunt. I currently have a .270 but would like to set up a new light weight rifle for longer range shooting, backpacking, and elk hunting.

Thanks
Dan

Dan,

I've hunted elk for around 20 years and you will find TONS of opinions out there.

Personally, I have gone through the 7's, 300 Mags, etc, and I have now fallen back to the tried and true (Not that the above options aren't) 30-06. Most of my shots are well under 400 yards, I would say more than 75% are under 200 yards. the '06 is more than adequate. My wife stays under 300 yards and uses a 7mm-08. Next year I will be using my .270 just because I love the way it shoots with the 150Gr ABLR and under 3-400, still more than adequate with good shot placement, which is ALWAYS the key.

That's my $.02!

Dan,

I've hunted elk for around 20 years and you will find TONS of opinions out there.

Personally, I have gone through the 7's, 300 Mags, etc, and I have now fallen back to the tried and true (Not that the above options aren't) 30-06. Most of my shots are well under 400 yards, I would say more than 75% are under 200 yards. the '06 is more than adequate. My wife stays under 300 yards and uses a 7mm-08. Next year I will be using my .270 just because I love the way it shoots with the 150Gr ABLR and under 3-400, still more than adequate with good shot placement, which is ALWAYS the key.

That's my $.02!
Yep, my first 20 or so fell to an 06; my brother and dad have never seen the need for anything else. Me, well I like buying guns.

Yep, my first 20 or so fell to an 06; my brother and dad have never seen the need for anything else. Me, well I like buying guns.

Don't we all? LOL

My first love was a .270 and I have now come full circle... I will definitely keep my '06 though and still use it. Plus it's just easier to find ammo if you should run out or lose your own... everyone has .30-06 and .270 Win!

If you're not a reloader, then your original list gets REALLY short...

No 6.5 PRC ammo available at MidwayUSA right now...
28 Nosler has three in stock options from $2.85-$4 per round...
6.5 Creedmoor is not much different than the 270 you already own...

Basically, if you're not reloading, I'd stick with 270, 30-06, 7mm Mag, or 300 WM. Assuming "new rifle" is a good portion of your justification, that rules out the 270. The only reason I'd go with 30-06 is for cheap "practice" ammo, as the 7 and 300 are ballistically superior. The cost difference between 7 and 300 for ammo is only 5-10% on the cheap end, and for premium ammo there's hardly a difference.

That leaves your choice down to recoil sensitivity and, to a lesser degree, ammo choices. The 300 WM is considerably more potent than the 7mm (10-20% more ftlbs), though the trajectories of the two are essentially identical with comparable B.C./velocity bullets being about 20 grains lighter in the 7mm. The 300WM will likely have a slightly better ammo selection for "target" bullets, but for hunting fodder, the two are probably about identical.

There's so many well detailed responses here. I'm leaning towards putting new optics on my .270 or 7mm/300after reading through this.

I know hand loading is the way to go but I don't have the experience nor equipment to do this at the moment. Till then I'd rather stick with what is readily available.

By the way THANK YOU to everyone who's left such detailed and informative responses.

If you don't mind dealing with a muzzle brake go 300 win mag, you can find ammo anywhere, in a very wide variety of bullet weights, Shooting long range will almost force you to become a reloader, you will not have to start over if you start with a 300 win,it will handle anything in North America with authority and with a brake it won't beat you up. My 2 cts

I'm with Salmonchaser !
Pick your 338 and send it long !
338 Rum and 338 Edges !!
20190203_134234.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.