1st elk hunt need rifle advice

The US is just late to the game with regards to the 6.5mm cartridges...it took us a while to figure out what the rest of the world already knew...the 6.5 bullets are beast slayers - elk, moose, mule deer etc. they over-perform.

So is a 223 on deer at 500yds. Doesn't make it the proper tool for the job.

And no, we aren't late to the game because they do nothing special. The 6.5 bologna is no different than Hornady's zombie ammo. It's a marketing induced fad.

The citizenry of the US has much freer access to more calibers, and that has been the case for some time. If the 6.5 was the holy grail Hornady and others try to make it then it would've caught on sooner.

I'm a believer in "to each his own", but I'm not going to buy into the idea that a cartridge filling a marketing niche is the end-all be-all for shooting, especially elk hunting.

Hello all! I'm new to the forum but have been lurking for awhile.

This coming hunting season I have my first (hopefully not last) back packing elk hunt. I currently have a .270 but would like to set up a new light weight rifle for longer range shooting, backpacking, and elk hunting.

I don't have much long range shooting experience, I usually do stand hunting within 300 yards for whitetail in Georgia.

I have considered:
Weatherby mark V
Bergara premier
Christensen arms ridgeline
CA Mesa (would put the additional funds to better optics)

I want to keep the rifle under $2000. I still haven't figured out my optics as of yet but it would be around the same $2000

As for a caliber I'm considering:
6.5 creedmor
6.5 prc
28 nosler
7mm
300 win

I wanted a "do all" caliber that would work for elk but would also potentially work for deer. I've never hand loaded nor do I plan on going down the rabbit hole anytime soon so I would be using over the counter ammunition for the time being.

Any helpful advice would be appreciated

Thanks
Dan
DAN,my first hunt for elk was in colorado,my outfitter told me ,if you can't kill an elk with a 270,stay the f ck home,you don't need a cannon to kill elk,all you need is to put it in the boiler room,i've killed 6 elk 8 mule deerand a cayoute at 325 yds with a 280 one shot all dead

DAN,my first hunt for elk was in colorado,my outfitter told me ,if you can't kill an elk with a 270,stay the f ck home,you don't need a cannon to kill elk,all you need is to put it in the boiler room,i've killed 6 elk 8 mule deerand a cayoute at 325 yds with a 280 one shot all dead
I've never heard of a 280ai. I'll have to look into it. One of the reasons I was considering a 6.5 is I know the rounds are decently priced and would allow me to put in more range time with a gun that has less recoil
a 280 is a 270 necked out to 7mm,kill anything you eant to kill

For years I have taken elk with ca's from 6.5 to 338. Put elk down successfully with all of them. It's more about a tough deep penetrating bullet properly place than any particular cal. For the last twenty plus years I have been using a 6.5 & the Barnes mono bullets. I like the reduced recoil. This has never failed me. A good hunting buddy & his son use the 270 with the Barnes 130gr mono's. Same results, complete penetration & dead elk. The 270 you have is very adequate. Pick out what ever cal you like & use a mono bullet. Practice , practice & practice more. Be prepared to make an accurate off hand shot at 150 yds or closer. This happens more than one would think. It's not all long range.

This coming hunting season I have my first (hopefully not last) back packing elk hunt. I currently have a .270 but would like to set up a new light weight rifle for longer range shooting, backpacking, and elk hunting.

I don't have much long range shooting experience, I usually do stand hunting within 300 yards for whitetail in Georgia.

I have considered:
Weatherby mark V
Bergara premier

I want to keep the rifle under $2000. I still haven't figured out my optics as of yet but it would be around the same $2000

6.5 creedmor
6.5 prc
28 nosler
7mm
300 win

I wanted a "do all" caliber that would work for elk but would also potentially work for deer. I've never hand loaded nor do I plan on going down the rabbit hole anytime soon so I would be using over the counter ammunition for the time being.

Thanks
Dan
Do the Christensen Arm in 28 Nosler only if you reload, 300 WSM, and 300 WM are all great choices. If you don't reload I would also recommend 7mm Rem Mag. Talley bases light weight and top it off with a Night Force SHV 4X14 50mm F1 or Vortex PST II. This is the rig I will be using this year in Arizona.

IMO nothing mentioned above with the possible exception of the 300WM, is a 1000 yds elk gun. 500, maybe 600, but the speed has come down too much to make the bullets work right past that. If you want a dedicated 1000 yd elk cartridge go with the 340 Wby. with the 225 TTSX or 250gr bullets. Sorry, but the 6.5s are not legitimate Elk rounds. The 270 with 160s or such, that will hold their speed, about minimum for Elk and an 06 better. And if going for long range, want the Barnes TTSX bullets as they long for weight, so fly better, and open up and penetrate. But nothing really going to "open up" out past 600 yds, very well. The 06 with a 180gr TTSX or similar will be the better round than the 270. Even Jack O'Connor used it on Elk.

I am a huge fan of the 280 AI, very moderate recoil, reaches out a long way, and nosler loads their fine Accubond in loaded ammo. You can't beat it
I used the 28 AI and have not chased an animal beyond 12 in. 168 gr Berger Hunting, Nosler brass, Reloader 26, Win LR primer. Just moving on to a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 280 AI. My current rifle is 8.9 pounds without optics.

6.5 creedmor
6.5 prc
28 nosler
7mm
300 win

I wanted a "do all" caliber that would work for elk but would also potentially work for deer.

Thanks
Dan

Any of those will work, but for Elk, you will want something that will shoot a 180 grain bullet above 2800 FPS. For deer you don't need that heavy of a bullet. I am a bit traditional when it comes to hunting calibers. It also depends if you reload as several in your group will be really expensive to buy off the shelf. Also, if you are out hunting and in need of buying ammo, you want something you can buy in any small town hardware store. Therefore, 30-06 and 300 win mag are hard to beat for both payload versatility (elk or deer), longer shots out to 600 yards (typically shots are much less than this), and availability. Both will kill any game up to a Moose found in North America.

If you go more exotic and reload, I'd go with .280 AI or 28 Nosler with a longer throated chamber to handle 180 grain bullets. Very accurate rounds, but hard to find for less than $2.50 per round in stores if you can find them at all. Guns for these are also either expensive or custom expensive.

I have considered:
Weatherby mark V
Bergara premier

6.5 creedmor
6.5 prc
28 nosler
7mm
300 win

Thanks
Dan

I have considered:
Weatherby mark V
Bergara premier

6.5 creedmor
6.5 prc
28 nosler
7mm
300 win

Thanks
Dan
I agree with what was said earlier. If you are going to shoot long range and consistently hit your target it takes practice. With that in mind you should purchase a weapon that you can afford to buy ammo for and then find the best glass you can afford. Another thing that you will need to get a ballistic calculator (there are free ones on the internet and also ones that are somewhat better that you pay for). After testing your ammo at certain ranges with the use of that calculator you should be able to figure out your dial ups for your scope in order to make that long distance shot. If you purchase a weapon and the ammo is really expensive, or the recoil is monstrous, how often do you think you will practice shooting long range? You should be able to hit consistently targets at different ranges because you want to be able to make a clean kill shot everytime you pull the trigger. It is no fun chasing a wounded animal up and down a mountain side. Just ask any outfitter about that one. Bare that in mind as you make your rifle selection. Above all learn how to shoot the rifle you get (know your rifles capabilities). As far as calibers, there are many that will take Elk at long range. All are personal preferences. My personal preference is the old 6.5x55 Swede but store bought ammunition is limited. Make your choice, and practice, practice, practice. In the long run that will make it a more enjoyable hunt and a lasting memory.

Always interesting in reading responses. Yes, shot placement always counts, but animals aren't trussed up and then there's wind, etc. The real deal is to get the bullet there and in the right spot. Bullet weight and impact are part of the equation!

Rifles--today we see a tendency to seek custom and specially built rifles. Nice if you can afford them and get what you paid for. I have an old 700 Remington that I bought in 1983. It's scarred a bit, but has taken many dozens of deer and wild hogs. It still shoots 3/4" groups of 5 at 100 yards. My previously mentioned my Browning XBolt is the same, but designed so that the recoil is less than the 700 Remington and no muzzle break. If you ever shot a muzzle brake at last light, you won't again. You'll be blinded and will have no idea which direction the animal went after being hit. I've seen lots of guys lose their animals because of that, or have spent hours to find a blood trail start.

If your scope isn't worth the same or more than the rifle, you need to rethink. Many guys by inexpensive scopes to regret it terribly later. Make certain you check on how easy it is for the company to give you routine or repair warranty service. I'm sold on Leupold after sending my well used binos in annually for service. After weeks in the field, they are showing signs of being tired and a bit abused. When i get them back, they work like and almost look like new.

So is a 223 on deer at 500yds. Doesn't make it the proper tool for the job.

And no, we aren't late to the game because they do nothing special. The 6.5 bologna is no different than Hornady's zombie ammo. It's a marketing induced fad.

The citizenry of the US has much freer access to more calibers, and that has been the case for some time. If the 6.5 was the holy grail Hornady and others try to make it then it would've caught on sooner.

I'm a believer in "to each his own", but I'm not going to buy into the idea that a cartridge filling a marketing niche is the end-all be-all for shooting, especially elk hunting.
I am not talking about a creedmoor, I am talking about a caliber of bullet - Load them up in a 260, 264wm, 26 Nosler or whatever you want and they kill game. To compare a 6.5 for elk to a 223 on deer is a complete joke.

Always interesting in reading responses. Yes, shot placement always counts, but animals aren't trussed up and then there's wind, etc. The real deal is to get the bullet there and in the right spot. Bullet weight and impact are part of the equation!

Rifles--today we see a tendency to seek custom and specially built rifles. Nice if you can afford them and get what you paid for. I have an old 700 Remington that I bought in 1983. It's scarred a bit, but has taken many dozens of deer and wild hogs. It still shoots 3/4" groups of 5 at 100 yards. My previously mentioned my Browning XBolt is the same, but designed so that the recoil is less than the 700 Remington and no muzzle break. If you ever shot a muzzle brake at last light, you won't again. You'll be blinded and will have no idea which direction the animal went after being hit. I've seen lots of guys lose their animals because of that, or have spent hours to find a blood trail start.

If your scope isn't worth the same or more than the rifle, you need to rethink. Many guys by inexpensive scopes to regret it terribly later. Make certain you check on how easy it is for the company to give you routine or repair warranty service. I'm sold on Leupold after sending my well used binos in annually for service. After weeks in the field, they are showing signs of being tired and a bit abused. When i get them back, they work like and almost look like new.

But really it is bullet design and BC's that dictate performance downrange and its ability to cheat the wind. Just think what weight bullet do you need to shoot in a 7mm or .308 caliber to equal the ballistic coefficient of a 147gr eldm? Then how much more recoil do you need to get those heavier bullets down range and on target...for some people that additional recoil is worth it, to others it is not. To those that don't want to mess with the cannons, the the 147 out of a 6.5x284 norma or 6.5 prc will kill elk a really long ways away.

Oh hell I'll wade in; Fifty one years of killing elk, I kinda like bigger, heavier bullets. mom use to shoot them with a 257 bob, but for an elk rifle I'd go with the big sevens or the 300. I like fast 338 myself.
What he said, elk are big critters and often takes a lot to put them down - 7mm minimum and 30 caliber better, 338 best. I've tracked them 5 miles before from a good shooter and good hunter, just off the mark star

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.