1st elk hunt need rifle advice

Hello all! I'm new to the forum but have been lurking for awhile.

This coming hunting season I have my first (hopefully not last) back packing elk hunt. I currently have a .270 but would like to set up a new light weight rifle for longer range shooting, backpacking, and elk hunting.

I don't have much long range shooting experience, I usually do stand hunting within 300 yards for whitetail in Georgia.

I have considered:
Weatherby mark V
Bergara premier
Christensen arms ridgeline
CA Mesa (would put the additional funds to better optics)

I want to keep the rifle under $2000. I still haven't figured out my optics as of yet but it would be around the same $2000

As for a caliber I'm considering:
6.5 creedmor
6.5 prc
28 nosler
7mm
300 win

I wanted a "do all" caliber that would work for elk but would also potentially work for deer. I've never hand loaded nor do I plan on going down the rabbit hole anytime soon so I would be using over the counter ammunition for the time being.

Any helpful advice would be appreciated

Thanks
Dan
i shot a 300 weatherby fot years and its a good caliber but kicks like a mule and dont think you can get one for $2000

I'd use the 270 since you have it. My gut is you're inclined toward the 6.5 since you have more than one on the list, and IMO they have no business in the elk woods. They shouldn't even be considered in comparison to a 30+ caliber magnum.

There's nothing new about these "new" 6.5s, and if they were all that great in prior incarnations then elk hunting caliber discussions for the past several decades wouldn't start at 270 and end up in the heavily populated 30 & 338 families.

I would do a seekins havak or ca ridgeline in 300win. For scope I would do a Leupold vx5hd or vx6hd. Total weight would be around 8.5lbs. I was looking at the at a local gunshop yesterday and they both seemed pretty light. If you are wanting a smaller caliber I would do the 7mm or 6.5 PRC. All three calibers have decent shelf ammo but the PRC seems harder to find. I like many others prefer the 300 or 7mm for elk. I know the 6.5 will do it fine I just feel the bigger bullet puts them down quicker and give a little more room for mistakes.

I had a long winded response written up, but it was probably overboard. I'll just keep this simple.

Get a 7mm Rem Mag and put a silencer on it.

It'll hammer, good ammo is readily available and relatively affordable compared to other options, it'll be enjoyable to shoot, it'll kill elk at 1000 yards no problem if you are capable of it (which is a completely different, vastly more important conversation), and you'll never regret it.

Tikka t3 300wsm or 7mm with a leupold VX5HD 3-15. That would get you well under the 2k budget, they are excellent shooting guns. Great lightweight backpacking gun, every ounce counts. I have the 300wsm, was thinking of getting the 7mm in the t3 superlight, just because...

This coming hunting season I have my first (hopefully not last) back packing elk hunt. I currently have a .270 but would like to set up a new light weight rifle for longer range shooting, backpacking, and elk hunting.

I don't have much long range shooting experience, I usually do stand hunting within 300 yards for whitetail in Georgia.

I have considered:
Weatherby mark V
Bergara premier

I want to keep the rifle under $2000. I still haven't figured out my optics as of yet but it would be around the same $2000

6.5 creedmor
6.5 prc
28 nosler
7mm
300 win

I wanted a "do all" caliber that would work for elk but would also potentially work for deer. I've never hand loaded nor do I plan on going down the rabbit hole anytime soon so I would be using over the counter ammunition for the time being.

Thanks
Dan
My first question to you is how far are you able to shoot ACCURATELY? The most important factor with any hunt is SHOT PLACEMENT which is almost irrelevant to rifle type/caliber for hunting success. Virtually all of the rifles/calibers mentioned in this thread are capable of taking both elk and whitetail deer with a good shot (though some mentioned I do consider to be overkill for whitetail deer and can result in loss of meat if shot placement isn't good). I know this is a Long Range Shooting forum, but there is a very big difference between shooting long range in the field at a moving animal and from a bench with sandbags blowing holes through paper or hitting a steel gong. You better have practiced and be very good if you plan to take shots at moving animals out beyond 500-600 yards...(and even that can be a stretch for some people/rifle combinations). There are just too many factors that can interfere with those long reaching shots to be certain of a DRT animal unless you are very good. I've seen and heard of many hunters that have said they wished they would not have taken the shot because it was at the limits of their capability and resulted in a wounded and lost animal... Don't just go for that long range gun if you aren't experienced and GOOD at shooting accurately at long range. My suggestion is to select a rifle that is more evenly versatile for what you plan to hunt (i.e., WT deer and elk can be easily taken with a wide range of calibers and you don't need the magnums...but bear and moose might require a different rifle). If you plan to be back-packing or stalking all day, weight should also be an important factor for you. From my experience, rifle weight typically has a direct correlation to the longer range accuracy rifles (though the TIKKA 6.5 CM's are pretty sweet and while they can be light, I might not consider them for elk {I know I'll take some heat for having said that in this forum...}). I own a .308 and 30-06 that have taken many mule deer, whitetail deer and elk with no difficulty. And they both work great on all sorts of predators and groundhogs/prairie dogs. I've even used my 30-06 on antelope. Most shots have been around or inside 300 yards and the animals were DRT. Elk have taken a few steps but have been within 50 yds of where they were first shot. If you don't reload, look for rifles that have a wide range of readily available factory ammunition (and consider price/round as well). You may find that a custom setup chambered in the good old 30-06 is just what you are looking for. After selecting your rifle, find a round your rifle likes and then practice, practice, and practice. Good luck and accurate shooting!

I'd use the 270 since you have it. My gut is you're inclined toward the 6.5 since you have more than one on the list, and IMO they have no business in the elk woods. They shouldn't even be considered in comparison to a 30+ caliber magnum.

There's nothing new about these "new" 6.5s, and if they were all that great in prior incarnations then elk hunting caliber discussions for the past several decades wouldn't start at 270 and end up in the heavily populated 30 & 338 families.

The US is just late to the game with regards to the 6.5mm cartridges...it took us a while to figure out what the rest of the world already knew...the 6.5 bullets are beast slayers - elk, moose, mule deer etc. they over-perform.

I have considered:
Weatherby mark V
Bergara premier

6.5 creedmor
6.5 prc
28 nosler
7mm
300 win

Thanks
Dan

On a elk hunt I would prefer a 300weatherby mag with a good bullet barnes or partition , or spire point, factory rounds , Ivery takenot 3 black bear with a 300weatherby and one red stag all with but one with factory ammo or even a 6.5x300 with the 140gr swift bullet

I have considered:
Weatherby mark V
Bergara premier

6.5 creedmor
6.5 prc
28 nosler
7mm
300 win

Thanks
Dan

When I read the title I just KNEW it would be a can of worms. Opinions are like a$$holes. Everyone has one.
Of the calibers you mentioned, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind about which caliber you should shoot. 300 Win Mag. Hands down no debate. Loaded rounds available anywhere and everywhere. Will shoot REAL elk bullets, i.e., 180-200 grain with the correct results at the end of the shot.
Remington 700 with a muzzle brake and you will have a rifle the will work anywhere in North America.
I know all of the 6.5 worshippers will tell you about how great that 6.5 maxi banger is but if you think that is the answer, stick with your .270 and as others have said, upgrade the optics, lighten the stock and the go shoot the rifle until it is an extension of your arm. The .270 is a PLENTY of gun for elk.
Once again, I am not the first or only one saying this: Shot placement is more important than caliber. A deceased gun writer, Bob Milek, shot a ton of elk with a
25-06. No telling how many elk have been dispatched with a .22 long rifle. Bullet placement is the absolute key to killing elk.
You have a more than adequate rifle as far as caliber is concerned. We all like a new rifle but I would shoot what you have with heavier bullets and be accurate.
Most of all, enjoy the hunt!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.