#1A 270 Winchester

Equalizer

My love affair with the Ruger number one started when I saw my first one sometime in the 1990's. I didn't care that it only held one round. It was more practical than a Sharps, sexier than a bolt or lever, and seemed like the perfect hunting rifle to me. I can still picture the ad in my mind. Maybe I'll be able to dig it up online. A guy on horseback with a pack horse in tow loaded with gear trudging through the snow in the mountains. …. yeah that's what I wanted!!!

I got my first # 1 as a wedding present from my wife*. At that point in life my only rifles were a Montgomery Wards model 30 A (aka Marlin 336 30-30) a Marlin 60 SS and a Ruger 10/22. I had never really had a decent scope or a "modern" centerfire hunting rifle. It was a stainless steel/laminated stock #1B chambered in 243 Win. I put a Leupold 3-9 on it and bought some ammo. I had heard that not all rifles liked all ammo so I tried a few different brands and bullet weights.

I shot my first "one hole" group with that rifle (different scope) and plain vanilla grey box Winchester 80 Gr soft points. It measures .133". I was at the range and another member and I were shooting from the 100 yard bench. I did not know him and had never seen him before. I fired my 1st and second shots but I didn't see an impact after my 2nd shot. I asked him to take a look through the spotting scope. He couldn't find a second hole. I shot the 3rd round and again neither of us could find an impact other that the 1st. We both walked to the target.

When we got to the target I was surprised and pumped up and I looked over at him and his mouth was just hanging open… I said "What do you think about that?!" After a pause he says "I have five thousand dollar customs that won't do that…"
My response was "That rifle cost me $675 and the scope was $250… I was shooting cheap factory ammo too!" ($15 a box) That rifle has produced ragged one hole groups again and again.

*Yes I bought the rifle and had her give it to me as my wedding gift!

There were others. I've had 6 number 1's since then counting the first. Three were sold or traded. The #1V 25-06, the #1RSI 7x57 and the #1V 7mm Rem Mag are gone. (Yeah I know 😞) The #1H 200 years 375 H & H and aforementioned #1B were spared. I've really never wanted to deer hunt with either of them though.

My family is small and my folks have passed on. I'm an only child and don't have hardly any living relatives other than my children. I have one male cousin. He's my second cousin. He grew up shooting, hunting and fishing with my dad and their dads. Over the years he just got out of it. He had his pilot's license and he bought a plane when he was a senior in high school before he bought a car!! He has some great stories like doing bomb runs with flour bags but anyway….

I took him shooting a couple times back in 2008-2010 and he really relished the time at the range. We only shot handguns but he told me he had a Ruger #1 270 that he really wanted to shoot sometime.

Last year his sister asked me to fix an old 22 rifle their dad had left her. It was a Stevens model 87 T from the mid to late 40's. The plastic stock had become brittle with age and was broken in two. I cleaned and fixed it (got a wooden stock from eBay) and got her "gill gun" up and running. I saw cousin Ron when I dropped the Stevens off and we decided to set up a range day.

Life and weather got in the way and it was pushed back a few times. We rescheduled and I told him if he wanted to shoot the #1 I'd make some ammo. He was thrilled. I rolled some 140 Gr NBT's in mixed headstamp brass with some R19 (because I don't use it for anything). I used WLR's and just went with the starting load from the book. (Nosler 7)

We got to the range and set up targets then got our guns and gear set up. I pulled the Ruger from the case and was blown away by the wood but it had been in that gun case sitting in a closet for so long (30-35 years) that there was a white mildew all over the wood!!

I immediately began cleaning and caring for it. The bore was filthy and I cleaned it, stripped the old Tasco scope off it and gave the rifle some much needed love. Ron and my eldest son started shooting his Smith and Wesson revolvers while I finished cleaning it up. I mounted a Leupold scope on it and bore sighted it with my eye at 100 yards.

3 shots later I was in the bullseye! Ron shot it one time and the recoil was a bit stiff for him but he was pleased to finally shoot it. At the end of our range session he gave me that awesome little rifle. I was very moved and assured him I would not only use it as my primary deer rifle and cherish it but that I would provide him with venison and pictures of successful hunts for many years to come!

The next weekend I took it back to the range and shot a decent 5 shot group at 200 yards (about moa but 1/2" vertical dispersion) which surprised me since the brass was all sorts of brands/lots and a few were even necked down 30-06 cases! I paid no attention to which ones I shot I just plucked them from the box.

My "new" #1A was made in 1978. It's 38 & 3/8" inches overall length. 22" barrel. It weighs 8 & 1/4 lbs with current scope and sling. The trigger is awesome and the wood is on par with the early red pads and exceeds most I've seen… it even rivals my 1976 #1H 375…

pics to follow….

Attachments

• IMG_5534.jpeg
    IMG_5534.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG_5526.jpeg
    IMG_5526.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 106
  • IMG_5527.jpeg
    IMG_5527.jpeg
    660.6 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_5530.jpeg
    IMG_5530.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 101
  • IMG_5529.jpeg
    IMG_5529.jpeg
    712.1 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_5525.jpeg
    IMG_5525.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 97
  • IMG_5524.jpeg
    IMG_5524.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 91
  • IMG_5531.jpeg
    IMG_5531.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 103
Nice, I love No.1'S too. Although I've found them very finicky shooters stock. I bought several and none shot well 2" on avg. My 3rd was 30-06 about 20 yrs ago and again 2"'er groups. Read everything I could find on how to make them shoot. My thoughts were nothing that is putting pressure on the barrel will hold group under different atmosphere conditions, ruled out all the accurizers, forend pressure, etc.. So I completely floated forend and then bedded everything around hanger and screw and forend to receiver. That helped a lot now no shifting zero's and most loads 1" or slightly less.

Attachments

• no1.jpg
    no1.jpg
    530.8 KB · Views: 52
I too have fallen under the Ruger #1's spell. From the minute I saw the first ad in 1967, I just knew I had to have one. Over the years I have bought, sold and traded for over 19 of them. I managed to limit my addiction and have kept only 7 of them.

Some of them had crap (technical term) barrels and poor accuracy. On of the most accurate ones that I own is my 458 Win. Mag. Tropical. It is a black pad early model and will hold 1" at 100 yards as long as my shoulder can take it.

My latest red pad 243 Winnie Light Sporter is only good for about 2" at 100 and I am planning on screwing on another LS barrel in 7X57.

I had two Ruger #1's,a 1977 1-V and a 1976 1-B,both 7mags.They both were very challenging to get them to shoot accurately.Finally after floating the forearms and bedding around the hanger screw the accuracy was much improved.I was able to get both of them down to about an inch group,which was much better than their original 2-3" groups.I fired 5 Tubb's Throat Maintenance Bullets in each rifle and they both,for the first time shot under an inch.Why Ruger never made improvements to the forearm I'll never know.It seems like it has been an on going issue for many people that have one.I ended up selling the 1-V because it had a 24" barrel and the velocity for some reason ran about 200fps slower than the 26" barrel 1-B with the same load.I had another Remington 7mag with a 24" barrel and the 1-V was 100fps slower than the 700 with the same load.I never played with the 1-V to see if I could get the velocity closer,I ended up selling it and kept the 1-B.Here is how I got it shooting after the work I did on it.The 1-B shot as good or a little better.
Ruger 1.jpg

I love the look of the #1, and had to have one when I first saw it. But the price was a little high for me in the early days, so I held off. I finally got one used in .22-250 along about 1973. I could never get it to shoot very well (about 1.5" is the best I ever saw) so it sat in the back of the gun safe. I finally ended up selling it to someone on this site.

Owned a couple of them. One in 25-06 shot great. Another in 7mag as well! But they never fit me. Stock was to long in LOP, and I just couldn't make myself cut it down. I was always having to creep up on the scope. Ok with the 25-06, but not the 7mag. Ended up selling them. But they are a beautiful gun.

Last edited:
I'm currently on my 4th no 1. The first 3 I had back in 1986-1987. One was a 6mm, one was a 25-06, and one was a 300 win mag. The accuracy was about 2" on average for all 3, so I ended up selling them. The 25-06 I have now has the Circassian walnut stock and is the AH. Model. I decided when I bought it, if it didn't shoot good, someway or somehow, I was gonna make it shoot. I bedded the forearm with pro-bed 2000, and played with tightening the forearm screw. With Magpro and 120 grain remington core-likes, it will shoot at 1" or slightly under. Maybe not great, but for a no 1, it's good enough. Shot a doe in Michigan last year at about 240 yards, and the bullet was right on the money. Shot a buck at about 60 yards a couple days later, and once again, it was spot on, so I'm happy with it. I have no plans to ever part with it at this point.

All this talk of the beauties of the #1 have me hankering for another one! I guess I should keep my eyes open. I would think 7X57 or .257 would be a good caliber to look for, or perhaps something in .224.

I also like #1 Ruger,s . I had a varmint barrel 22-250 in the mid eightes a really nice wood I loved ever thing about it except the way it shot. Shoot 2 bullets into one hole drop 6 inches put two more in one hole fifth shot who knows where it was going. Worked on fore arm till I was tired of messing with it. hundred different loads finely took a beating on it but left it hanging in a gun shop. I got a friend got a pencil barrel 22-250 I load for shoots bug holes at 200 yd. I know mind could have been fixed but I ran out of patients. Still thing about buying another but am afraid I will get another bad one. I still think about how beautiful that gun was.

One thing I've discovered with the no 1's, is that if you're shooting for groups, the front bag must be placed right in front of the receiver, and it must be in the exact same spot each time, or your POI will change. It took me a lot of fiddling around to figure that out. I bought 2 of the Hicks accurizers, but so far, they're still in the same bag they came in, and that was a few years ago.

I've had a few over the years & my current RSI 7 x 57 .... shoots Incredible, simple Handload w/ IMR 4350 & 140 grain Sierra BTSP @ 2700 fps, has shot clover leafs a few times at 100 yards.

Classy rifles!!!

Speaking of .375 H&H reminds me of a story. I had a good friend who was being assigned to the American Embassy in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, and told me he had a dilemma. He and his son both wanted to hunt big game while there, but he was left-handed while his son was right-handed. I told him to get a Ruger #1 in .375 H&H and he'd be good to go.

About a year later I met him in northern Tanzania for several days of hunting. I was a non-resident, so I would be hunting birds only, but he and his son wanted to shoot some plains game. He showed me his new rifle: a Ruger #1 in .375 H&H -- a very nice looking rifle that I admired.

The first day I was with them I watched him line up on a nice wildebeest at about 150 yards. I considered it a chip shot with that rifle. He shot. Nothing. He shot again, Nothing. On his third shot I was able to see a leaf fall from a tree behind his game: the shot had been several feet high.

The PH and I decided he needed to sight in his rifle. He was shooting about a two foot group at 50 yards. I tried three shots with the rifle and they made a pretty cloverleaf.

This is the first time I had gone rifle hunting with this guy. I had shot birds with him, and he never missed. But it turns out that with a rifle he was a terrible shot. I think it was a case of severe flinch.

Pity -- he lived more that two years in the world's best big game shooting (Tanzania), and then transferred to another good hunting area: Mozambique. I don't know whether he ever managed to shoot that pretty .375 Ruger #1 accurately.

I too have fallen under the Ruger #1's spell. From the minute I saw the first ad in 1967, I just knew I had to have one. Over the years I have bought, sold and traded for over 19 of them. I managed to limit my addiction and have kept only 7 of them.

Some of them had crap (technical term) barrels and poor accuracy. On of the most accurate ones that I own is my 458 Win. Mag. Tropical. It is a black pad early model and will hold 1" at 100 yards as long as my shoulder can take it.

My latest red pad 243 Winnie Light Sporter is only good for about 2" at 100 and I am planning on screwing on another LS barrel in 7X57.
With the .243 Try 35gr of 4350 and a 100gr bullet like a nosler partition or ablr. I had a Rem Model 7 that I was ready to give up on. Somebody on this forum told me that recipe. I tried it and my first group at 100yds could be covered by a dime. It has shot that way ever since.