What about .270 Winchester?

That's the "Rifleman's Rifle ".
My father bought a brand new M70 pre64 featherweight in .270win in 1952. It served him very well and took numerous heads of big game including moose and Elk, he passed 35 years ago, I've been using this rifle for the most part since. I've had it pillar and glass bedded and have a timney trigger and a custom McMillan stock and it still shoots big holes for me I'm 68 now. And am praying that one of my grandsons will keep it once I'm gone, I have a few older rifles that are desirable. But none. Like this .270. I actually started out shooting this rifle when I was 8 years old. And it just plain fits. All the way around!!

I shoot the 150 ABLR's in my 270 and they work great. Shoot them in a lot of other calibers as well.
My only issue with the ABLRs is the cost now days - almost double the cost of eldx.
In addition, the ones I want are hard to come by.
Seems Nosler has increased the price and decreased their production or something.
270 is what I hunted with exclusively for the first 8 years. Always owned at least one and always will.

I shoot the 150 ABLR's in my 270 and they work great. Shoot them in a lot of other calibers as well.
My only issue with the ABLRs is the cost now days - almost double the cost of eldx.
In addition, the ones I want are hard to come by.
Seems Nosler has increased the price and decreased their production or something.
270 is what I hunted with exclusively for the first 8 years. Always owned at least one and always will.
Is your .270 a 1-10 twist, like most of the older 270s are? If so, does the ABLR stabilize with that slower twist?

Last edited:
Remington 700 in 270 win, barns 130gr X, broke both front shoulders and was stuck in the hair on the way out.

MVC-020F.JPG
05 buck.JPG

Is your .270 a 1-10 twist, like most of the older 270s are? If so, does the ABLR stabilize with that slower twist?
My Sig 970SHR in .270 has a 1:10 twist and it stabilizes the 150gr AB and ABLR just fine. I've shot paper at 800yds and just had all perfect little round holes. No signs of yawing or loss of stability.

Yes, its 1-10. Shoots just fine. I also use that bullet in my 270 WSM and it actually shoots a little better than the 270 win: both are sub 3/4 moa. Nosler shows in its reloading data 1-10 twist rates on its test barrels for both the 270 win and 270 wsm and load data for the 150 ablrs.

Yes, its 1-10. Shoots just fine. I also use that bullet in my 270 WSM and it actually shoots a little better than the 270 win: both are sub 3/4 moa. Nosler shows in its reloading data 1-10 twist rates on its test barrels for both the 270 win and 270 wsm and load data for the 150 ablrs.
I got pulled away before I could add some other information. My 270 is my dad's old custom (sporterized) Mauser with a 1-10 barrel of unknown manufacture that he bought in the late 60's from a gun smith in California. It was a deadly tool in his hands regardless if the game was running or standing at 400 yards. The barrel was shot so I'm in the process of restoring it: it's at the gunsmiths waiting on a 24" shilen barrel with the same 1-10 as it had originally.

My father bought a brand new M70 pre64 featherweight in .270win in 1952. It served him very well and took numerous heads of big game including moose and Elk, he passed 35 years ago, I've been using this rifle for the most part since. I've had it pillar and glass bedded and have a timney trigger and a custom McMillan stock and it still shoots big holes for me I'm 68 now. And am praying that one of my grandsons will keep it once I'm gone, I have a few older rifles that are desirable. But none. Like this .270. I actually started out shooting this rifle when I was 8 years old. And it just plain fits. All the way around!!
One of my fears is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them!