What about .270 Winchester?

IndianaMatt

So I have been thinking about adding a .270 Win to the safe. The reason being during the ammo shortage you could ALWAYS find it on the shelf locally. I mean everyone had it and lots of it. When .308, 30-06, and 300 Win Mag were all gone there were boxes off .270 everywhere.

So what is everyone's opinion on the old .270? I'll be looking for a moderately priced hunting type rifle. What barrel length, twist, and all of that? Any certain make or model you recommend in the $1000 or less price range?

Also, I'll add- the ability to purchase factory ammo now has way more influence on me than ever before. I have tons of bullets, brass, and powder. The problem is that primers are tough to find and expensive!

I love the .270 Win and encourage everyone to own a few. That said, I've moved to the .308 Win for very similar reasons. I could always find .308 Win or 7.62x51mm to shoot. The same couldn't be said for .270 in my area of Southeastern Colorado. 6.5 Creedmoor was another I never had issues finding.

Long live the king. That's how I feel about the .270 haha. It just works. Far more interesting to me than the .30-06 and just as emphatic a killer. If the 270 isn't enough gun for something neither is the .30-06…THERE I SAID IT 🤣 When both are loaded
To potential the 270 even with its 10 twist STOMPS the 6.5 creedmoor, and by the time those high bc 6.5 pills catch up let alone exceed the power of the 270 it's at a range where neither cartridge is a good choice for big game. It's embarrassing for the 7 rem mag how close the boring old .270 gets to it from a shorter barrel. Anything the .25-06 does the 270 does better (THERE I SAID IT! 🤣 - both are totally ridiculous for dedicated varmint or predator rounds and in my mind the .25-06 is forever the .25-almost Almost as in close to the .257 wby but not there yet haha. I know the same Is true about the 270 win and 270 wby but for some reason I don't care and that's mine to confess, I'm irrational!

I'm biased. It was my first rifle that was truly mine. And it performs so darn good. I often say it's a cartridge that doesn't know it's not a magnum.

For moderately priced firearms under 1000 (which is all I can afford at this time haha) my experiences with savage 111s and Weatherby vanguards has been just excellent.

Do not go super cheap. Not worth it. As in "the savage axis is a cheap piece of junk with metal that rusts notably faster than other rifles (my real experience - rust spots on alleged STAINLESS STEEL) with such a flimsy stock that any real recoil makes accuracy a challenge - my father in laws friend has one in 30-06 and it shot much much better after putting it into a more rigid aftermarkwt stock of some kind)

The 111 on the other hand is great and shoots lights out. Ugly or not.

The Weatherby vanguard is probably my vote for best value for your dollar in any production rifle made today. They shoot, theyr attractive, they're a bit heavier but for me that's a good thing, and ergonomically I just love how they feel in the hand and to shoulder.

For under 1k

1st vote wby vanguard
2 place savage 111
3 place tikka of some kind. Yes I'm putting tikka behind savage and weatherby. Yes I mean it.

Long live the king. That's how I feel about the .270 haha. It just works. Far more interesting to me than the .30-06 and just as emphatic a killer. If the 270 isn't enough gun for something neither is the .30-06…THERE I SAID IT 🤣 When both are loaded
To potential the 270 even with its 10 twist STOMPS the 6.5 creedmoor, and by the time those high bc 6.5 pills catch up let alone exceed the power of the 270 it's at a range where neither cartridge is a good choice for big game. It's embarrassing for the 7 rem mag how close the boring old .270 gets to it from a shorter barrel. Anything the .25-06 does the 270 does better (THERE I SAID IT! 🤣 - both are totally ridiculous for dedicated varmint or predator rounds and in my mind the .25-06 is forever the .25-almost Almost as in close to the .257 wby but not there yet haha. I know the same Is true about the 270 win and 270 wby but for some reason I don't care and that's mine to confess, I'm irrational!

I'm biased. It was my first rifle that was truly mine. And it performs so darn good. I often say it's a cartridge that doesn't know it's not a magnum.
Really @Calvin45 feel free, tell us how you feel about the good old .270WIN 🤣

For moderately priced firearms under 1000 (which is all I can afford at this time haha) my experiences with savage 111s and Weatherby vanguards has been just excellent.

Do not go super cheap. Not worth it. As in "the savage axis is a cheap piece of junk with metal that rusts notably faster than other rifles (my real experience - rust spots on alleged STAINLESS STEEL) with such a flimsy stock that any real recoil makes accuracy a challenge - my father in laws friend has one in 30-06 and it shot much much better after putting it into a more rigid aftermarkwt stock of some kind)

The 111 on the other hand is great and shoots lights out. Ugly or not.

The Weatherby vanguard is probably my vote for best value for your dollar in any production rifle made today. They shoot, theyr attractive, they're a bit heavier but for me that's a good thing, and ergonomically I just love how they feel in the hand and to shoulder.

For under 1k

1st vote wby vanguard
2 place savage 111
3 place tikka of some kind. Yes I'm putting tikka behind savage and weatherby. Yes I mean it.
I have a few Savage 110's and they are fine tools. Recently purchased a Vanguard compact in .243 for my daughter. Maybe I need a Tikka? Don't have one of those.

I knew this thread would have some passionate messages 😆.

What bullet weight/style would you recommend for northern whitetail at ranges of 300 yards or less?

Anyone care to send some general loads they prefer?

….and I'm back! 🤣

When I was 18 I bought the hornady single stage press and full kit on their "get loaded 2012" promotion - I've suggested hammer bullets needs a "get hammered" promotion now haha - anyways couldn't beat that deal! Bought the kit, got 500 "free" bullets but they all had to be the same - I selected 130 grain 270 interlocks.

I also tried 140 btsp interlocks and 150 interlocks (the boring old cartridge works fine with boring old bullets I guess)

They all work. The 130s, of the interlocks, honestly work best. I'm in Saskatchewan, so can answer you about "northern whitetail" More of my whitetail have been taken with the 270 Winchester and the 130 grain flat base interlock than any other cartridge bullet combo. It's effective with powders all the way from 4064 on the fast end to 7828 on the slow burning end. Not hard to make it go way over 3000 fps with either of those powders and anything in between them out of my 22 inch barrel.

….and I'm back! 🤣

When I was 18 I bought the hornady single stage press and full kit on their "get loaded 2012" promotion - I've suggested hammer bullets needs a "get hammered" promotion now haha - anyways couldn't beat that deal! Bought the kit, got 500 "free" bullets but they all had to be the same - I selected 130 grain 270 interlocks.

I also tried 140 btsp interlocks and 150 interlocks (the boring old cartridge works fine with boring old bullets I guess)

They all work. The 130s, of the interlocks, honestly work best. I'm in Saskatchewan, so can answer you about "northern whitetail" More of my whitetail have been taken with the 270 Winchester and the 130 grain flat base interlock than any other cartridge bullet combo. It's effective with powders all the way from 4064 on the fast end to 7828 on the slow burning end. Not hard to make it go way over 3000 fps with either of those powders and anything in between them out of my 22 inch barrel.
Those are extremely northern whitetails! I bet they even have an accent!

Some young whipper snapper from Saskatchewan already said everything I was going to say. Thanks Calvin45, now I don't have to type as much.:):) I will add that I have been using the boring Hornady Inter locks in 150 grain with IMR4350 for 40 years. I am a little over the book recommendation for load, but have never had a pressure sign. Average velocity is 2983 FPS. never took a second shot at a critter.