What about .270 Winchester?

This one is easy for me to comment on. I am a huge, 270 Winchester fan. Nothing against 3006 which I own and 308, which I own, but my pet deer rifle is my Weatherby Ultralight in 270 Win!! I use my 270 wins rifles for Whitetail deer hunting on the East Coast. I would have no problem using it for mule, deer or antelope. As long as the range did not exceed 300 to 350 yards. That is my personal choice max limit when using my 270 win. If the range was going to be beyond that then I would use my 270 Weatherby magnum to hunt those same animals but at much longer ranges. I have a load I developed many years ago , and I will never change it ! My opinion is that a Light weight rifle,with a 24inch barrel,chambered in 270 Win is about as perfect a deer rifle you will ever find ! When you consider the cartridge was developed about 100 years ago ,and it's still a great choice for medium sized game at medium ranges ,it's impressive! 130 Grn Ballistic Tips bullets at 3000. FPS ! It.works !!!

2022-03-  29-08-25-12.jpg

If you can find one I'm partial to the M70 Extreme Weather. I modified mine a bit with a McMillan Edge fill stock. I'd really like to find a SS Classic Featherweight, but I'd probably settle for a blued and walnut rifle.

I like a good 130 grain bullet for killing deer, and they work on elk in a pinch.

To elaborate on my prior comments further: the 130 interlock in my experience penetrates every bit as well as the 140 and 150 interlock, seems easier to load to higher energy, and seems to visit a lot more violence upon whatever is hit, probably due to the higher impact velocity inside 300 yards and the lower sd related to target resistance on whitetail sized critters. I've had it exit a double shoulder hit deer…more than once. The 150 is very good too, but for whatever reason the 140 btsp interlock is very underwhelming. Easy to load for, decent bc, but it just doesn't seem to have that instant reaction that lets you know you made a solid chest shot the way it's flat based brothers do. I don't know why. It does have less exposed lead at the tip than either the 130 or the 150, that probably does have something to do with it.

All 3 I have recovered from deer as well over the years from time to time. Haven't seen that interlock ring fail to do what it says it does with any of them, might as well be partitions honestly.

Except the 220 round nose 30 cal interlock. That thing blew up real hard 🤣😱

Long live the king. That's how I feel about the .270 haha. It just works. Far more interesting to me than the .30-06 and just as emphatic a killer. If the 270 isn't enough gun for something neither is the .30-06…THERE I SAID IT 🤣 When both are loaded
To potential the 270 even with its 10 twist STOMPS the 6.5 creedmoor, and by the time those high bc 6.5 pills catch up let alone exceed the power of the 270 it's at a range where neither cartridge is a good choice for big game. It's embarrassing for the 7 rem mag how close the boring old .270 gets to it from a shorter barrel. Anything the .25-06 does the 270 does better (THERE I SAID IT! 🤣 - both are totally ridiculous for dedicated varmint or predator rounds and in my mind the .25-06 is forever the .25-almost Almost as in close to the .257 wby but not there yet haha. I know the same Is true about the 270 win and 270 wby but for some reason I don't care and that's mine to confess, I'm irrational!

I'm biased. It was my first rifle that was truly mine. And it performs so darn good. I often say it's a cartridge that doesn't know it's not a magnum.

Long live the king. That's how I feel about the .270 haha. It just works. Far more interesting to me than the .30-06 and just as emphatic a killer. If the 270 isn't enough gun for something neither is the .30-06…THERE I SAID IT 🤣 When both are loaded
To potential the 270 even with its 10 twist STOMPS the 6.5 creedmoor, and by the time those high bc 6.5 pills catch up let alone exceed the power of the 270 it's at a range where neither cartridge is a good choice for big game. It's embarrassing for the 7 rem mag how close the boring old .270 gets to it from a shorter barrel. Anything the .25-06 does the 270 does better (THERE I SAID IT! 🤣 - both are totally ridiculous for dedicated varmint or predator rounds and in my mind the .25-06 is forever the .25-almost Almost as in close to the .257 wby but not there yet haha. I know the same Is true about the 270 win and 270 wby but for some reason I don't care and that's mine to confess, I'm irrational!

I'm biased. It was my first rifle that was truly mine. And it performs so darn good. I often say it's a cartridge that doesn't know it's not a magnum.
^^^^This

….and I'm back! 🤣

When I was 18 I bought the hornady single stage press and full kit on their "get loaded 2012" promotion - I've suggested hammer bullets needs a "get hammered" promotion now haha - anyways couldn't beat that deal! Bought the kit, got 500 "free" bullets but they all had to be the same - I selected 130 grain 270 interlocks.

I also tried 140 btsp interlocks and 150 interlocks (the boring old cartridge works fine with boring old bullets I guess)

They all work. The 130s, of the interlocks, honestly work best. I'm in Saskatchewan, so can answer you about "northern whitetail" More of my whitetail have been taken with the 270 Winchester and the 130 grain flat base interlock than any other cartridge bullet combo. It's effective with powders all the way from 4064 on the fast end to 7828 on the slow burning end. Not hard to make it go way over 3000 fps with either of those powders and anything in between them out of my 22 inch barrel.
^^^^^^This

I have to admit, I am a staunch 270 fan. I own 3 at the moment, 2 have decades of memories and will never leave my safe as long as I am here. I love them in the 130 weight bullets, absolute lazer and VERY accurate in many many rifles. High shoulder is the medicine that drops them in their tracks almost without a kick.

I did a quick Gunbroker search and seen a couple of the Sauer 100 and Mauser M18 rifles in .270. For some reason those are interesting to me. I read about people finding amazing deals on them. I seen no amazing deals.

I think for an old dog like a .270 it needs to be deep blueing and a walnut or laminated stock. I know I'm a traditionalist.

The majority of my 270win loads have been 130gr Sierra Spbt. Initially developed for a Rem, but now used in a blr. For the range you're taking about anything 130 and over should suffice.

I have never bothered loading for it. For the type of harvesting my son and I were doing, Win PowerPoint and Rem Corelokt worked just fine. Bought some 130 TSX and Nosler BT way back, but never got around to it. Maybe one of these days.

Last edited:
So I have been thinking about adding a .270 Win to the safe. The reason being during the ammo shortage you could ALWAYS find it on the shelf locally. I mean everyone had it and lots of it. When .308, 30-06, and 300 Win Mag were all gone there were boxes off .270 everywhere.

So what is everyone's opinion on the old .270? I'll be looking for a moderately priced hunting type rifle. What barrel length, twist, and all of that? Any certain make or model you recommend in the $1000 or less price range?

Also, I'll add- the ability to purchase factory ammo now has way more influence on me than ever before. I have tons of bullets, brass, and powder. The problem is that primers are tough to find and expensive!
270 win is an awesome cartridge. I've hunted with one for years. Get one. You won't regret it.

So I have been thinking about adding a .270 Win to the safe. The reason being during the ammo shortage you could ALWAYS find it on the shelf locally. I mean everyone had it and lots of it. When .308, 30-06, and 300 Win Mag were all gone there were boxes off .270 everywhere.

So what is everyone's opinion on the old .270? I'll be looking for a moderately priced hunting type rifle. What barrel length, twist, and all of that? Any certain make or model you recommend in the $1000 or less price range?

Also, I'll add- the ability to purchase factory ammo now has way more influence on me than ever before. I have tons of bullets, brass, and powder. The problem is that primers are tough to find and expensive!
The 270 is an oldie but a goodie like the venerable 30-06. It is somewhat mild recoiling rifle that shoots flat, fast and hit's hard. Ballistic wise at hunting distances it puts the 6.5 CM to shame. While some Po-Po the older cartridges for the newer stuff that simply does the best it can to duplicate the the performance of these two war horses. The US Military is in the process of adopting the 6.8mm which is a .277 bullet diameter so it can now be considered a new war horse. I have a Tikka T3x lite stainless. It has a twist rate of 1/8 and from the first shots out of the barrel has shot sub moa with quality 130 / 140 gr ammo such as Sig Sauer Elite and Federal Premium. The action is as smooth as they get and a lot better than what you find in more expensive rifles. They are priced around $1000, and worth every penny.

This one is easy for me to comment on. I am a huge, 270 Winchester fan. Nothing against 3006 which I own and 308, which I own, but my pet deer rifle is my Weatherby Ultralight in 270 Win!! I use my 270 wins rifles for Whitetail deer hunting on the East Coast. I would have no problem using it for mule, deer or antelope. As long as the range did not exceed 300 to 350 yards. That is my personal choice max limit when using my 270 win. If the range was going to be beyond that then I would use my 270 Weatherby magnum to hunt those same animals but at much longer ranges. I have a load I developed many years ago , and I will never change it ! My opinion is that a Light weight rifle,with a 24inch barrel,chambered in 270 Win is about as perfect a deer rifle you will ever find ! When you consider the cartridge was developed about 100 years ago ,and it's still a great choice for medium sized game at medium ranges ,it's impressive! 130 Grn Ballistic Tips bullets at 3000. FPS ! It.works !!!

Yup.... what you said, only if I were buying a .270 Winchester and wanted a little more horsepower I wouldn't hesitate to take a strong look at the .270WSM as a second choice. I believe that the .270WSM has been around long enough that it is not going to follow along in the footsteps of the obsolescent group.s I think that the .270 Weatherby is a good cartridge also, but... there's the issue of finding available ammunition and then the cost of that ammunition or the cost for components to load that round. And... that's my $.02C worth.