270 winchester

ronnie1972

just looking for recommendations on bullet and powder choices for the 270 with 24" barrel will be used for whitetail and javelina 400yards maximum
i was thinking accubond 130 or 140
or berger 130 or 140 vld
any suggestion i would consider
thanks

Mine likes IMR4831 and Barnes TSX. I'm using a max charge but accuracy is usually around 0.6 to 0.7in. Works well on antelope.

130 gr bullets in the 270 win is very hard to beat especially when you max is 400 yards. IMR and hodgdon 4831 are the go to powder for it too. As for berger or ab I have used the berger with great accuracy not sure on the ab because I haven't used them.

With those two choices what ever shoots better, I've shot a bunch of stuff with the 140's in both out of my WSM and my buddy shoots them out of his Wins and nothing puts up much of an argument. I think 400yrds is a bit limiting though, you can use them much farther in you we're inclined to. 7828 is our go to powder in the Wins.

I load the Sierra 140gHPBT and 54.5g Imr4831 for my Buddies that hunt with a 270. That was my favorite load when I used a 270. It is currently over the book load tho' and they may have changed IMR4831 a little... max listed is 54g. I have books that show hotter than that but things change.

I have fooled with the 270 win for a number of years and have come to these conclusions.
Work up to this load because it is max but it used to be the load that was listed on the Hodgdon H4831 bottle. 60 grs H4831, Rem case (match prepared) CCI-BR2 primer, Sierra 130 gr Game King. This is very accurate in about every 270 Win I have ever tried it in. It kills WT deer like lightening struck them.
I have found that most of the 140 gr cup and core bullets are just a bit tougher bullets than most 130 gr cup and core bullets. I had more deer go a little ways after taking a 140 than with the 130 gr Sierra. Most taken with the 130 Sierra drop in their tracks.

RT2506 has a good suggestion.

Personally I load a 140SST with about 56gr of H4831 (it's been a while since I made a batch and I don't have my notes with me). This is what I use for mulies.

I think that there is no need/added cost isn't justified for vld if you're shooting within 400yrds personally.

No matter what you end up doing, the 270 will take care of the two game you listed w/out a problem.

I been loading my 270 win with 130 gr SGK and 57 gr of RL-22, also 55 gr of RL-17 and it worked great!!! I did get good results using 150 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip and 52 gr of RL-17...

thanks for the comments and load info.
this gun will be used for culling many deer in mexico,and javelinas from the ranch. i will use my 6.5wby for my primary go to gun. but to shoot and help manage the ranch i will mainly be using the 270 so the barrel will last alot longer in the 6.5wby

I got most of my experience finding out what calibers and bullets work best on WT deer doing much the same thing in NC on a big farm for control purposes. My buddy did it for 25 years and I helped for 15 of those years. We took 100 deer a year. You don't need the high price bonded, match, VLD etc. bullets. I would start with the 130 gr Sierra and you will probably find that you don't need or want to try anything else.

Here's a load that works well for my rifle...

130gr Berger
57.0gr H4831sc
Win Brass
Fed 210M
3150 fps

start low and work up
59.8gr was max for me

Good luck
Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.