What about .270 Winchester?

When your 270 barrels are shot out, you have some really great options today:

6.5/06 proved to be idiot proof to tune very small groups with and .610-.647 BC Does not hurt your feelings
280 rem-neck up your 270 brass after annealing, 160-162g at 2930 fps on a 24" barrel is real world with IMR 7828 with fed 210's
280 AI-160s at 3000-3020 is easy, and I use 30/06 brass.

270 Winchester High BC bullets are coming available, not many options YET
.280AI is going to be hard to beat for a re-barrel, IMO.
Tons of people on here love to crap on Hornady, but the new .270ELDX deserves some respect- 145 gr with a .536 G1 leaving at just under 3k fps. That's a recipe for lots of energy carrying a long way with manageable recoil and sensible barrel life.

h-1ag, you are correct IF I can get that 145 to shoot well in either one of my 270's! I have my fingers crossed with IMR 7828, H4831, and R#26 to try which will take me all Summer.

Hornady has saved a lot of us on bullet availability, continuing with their Product development, and I have just about wrote off Nosler and Sierra.

As shooters get more educated, product development has seen an exponential increase in technology.

For a re barrel of an existing 270, never over look the 6.5/06 where you can just neck up 270 brass and trim with Bullet bc running
.610 to around .700. The 143 ELD-X is worth building a rifle around, and they are extremely accurate in several cases I shoot. In the 6.5/06 with a 26" barrel, the 129-130g at 3150 shoots tiny bug holes with R#22, dumb butt easy to tune, shooting groups the size of a pencil eraser with Winchester brass.

Manufacturers have had a hard time keeping up with military and police demands on their production. As production schedules allow, more higher bc bullets that will stabilize in the 10T I predict will ignite the Std 270, and the Hornady 145g ELDX maybe the bullet that does just that. Nosler is making a 150g LRAB for the 270, but good freeking luck in getting anything out of Nosler.

A friend had a 29" Hart barrel on a Rem 700 chambered in 270 Win, chambered in 270 AI. You rarely ever hear of anyone shooting this caliber and it is a beast. I saw the 270 AI perform on Rock Chucks and Coyotes at some distances, shooting the 90g Sierra HP at 3900 fps. Hammer bullets could be filling a slot in this cartridge.

Last edited:
h-1ag, you are correct IF I can get that 145 to shoot well in either one of my 270's! I have my fingers crossed with IMR 7828, H4831, and R#26 to try which will take me all Summer.

Hornady has saved a lot of us on bullet availability, continuing with their Product development, and I have just about wrote off Nosler and Sierra.

As shooters get more educated, product development has seen an exponential increase in technology.

For a re barrel of an existing 270, never over look the 6.5/06 where you can just neck up 270 brass and trim with Bullet bc running
.610 to around .700. The 143 ELD-X is worth building a rifle around, and they are extremely accurate in several cases I shoot. In the 6.5/06 with a 26" barrel, the 129-130g at 3150 shoots tiny bug holes with R#22, dumb butt easy to tune, shooting groups the size of a pencil eraser with Winchester brass.
My Browning Stainless Stalker 270 loves the 145 eldx, this rifle is not fussy and just plain shoots what it's fed. Dave Petzal the gun writer praises the 270

I keep hearing 270 does not have a good selection of heavy bullets but Nosler, Barnes, Sierra, Berger, Hammer, Badlands, Cutting Edge and probably some others all offer heavy high BC hunting bullets for fast twist not to mention decent 145-150 BC bullets in the .5-.55 range for 1-10. The only manufacturer that does not offer fast twist 270 bullets in Hornady and maybe that will change. Sure there are more in other cals but who cares. You can't get most of them and how many flavors of bullets do you need to find one that shoots. Not a valid argument anymore

Lou

Nosler 165g take a 1-9
Sierra is AWOL
Berger 150g vld hunting is .510
Berger 140g vld hunting is .504
Barnes 155 LRX takes an 8 twist with a bc of .540

that leaves Hammer, cutting edge, and badlands-

You can sure see the difference at even 400 yards with a bullet that has a bc of .600 and better.

For us that have 1-10s in factory rifles, we have few choices.

Nolser 150 ablr is 591, berger 140 classic and hornady are appox .530. Speer is releasing a 150 impact with bc around .545 and works in 1-10. Few others for 1-10 around .5 bc. These are all in the ballpark of the high bc bullets the prs guys are using in 6mms and winning at 1000. If you cant kill your critter at 400 yards with a .4 or .5 bc bullet .6 is not gonna help you. Just does not make much of a diff if poor at reading wind

Lou

I would be all over a Nosler 150g LRAB if they will stabilize in a 10 twist. I shoot the LRAB in 6.5,7, and 30 calibers now. I went to the Nosler site, and did not see a requirement for a twist rate.

Lou, you are correct on the .4-.5 bc at 400 yards. I shot a large sow last year at 550 yards with a 308 Win with 155g Berger vld hunting. We hunt on shooting lanes cut down through the woods, no telling what swirling winds are doing, especially the tree you are sitting in.

As I upgrade, I want to hedge my bets. Higher BC means higher impact velocity, and I need to put an animal on the ground in its tracks, If they run off, I am searching through a Jungle for tracks. The Nosler 150g LRAB, pushed by R#26 would be worth building a rifle around. A call to Nosler to find out about the twist rate requirement of the 150g is in order, then just try and find some of the bullets IF they will stabilize in a 10 twist.

A friend had really good luck this year with a 280 AI with 180g Hornady ELDM(BC .796 advertised) at 2830 fps, pole axed everything he hit on the spot.

Yep. BC does help with downrange velocity. The 150 ablr is designed to stabilizes in 1-10 though in general ablr can be picky to get to shoot in any caliber. Nosler lists 1-10 on their site for the factory ammo. I think some guys try them in 270 Win and when don't shoot say not enough twist (since everybody these days is infatuated with over twist) but if don't shoot in say a 6.5 or 7mm blame the bullet. Doesn't help that people rely on the twist calculators which can be close for some bullets but does not take bullet design into account which the actual bullet designers do. Hornady had a podcast on this probably tired of people running on line calcs and quesioning them:)

Been shooting 165ablr into pigs out of 6.8. They do a lot of damage and still penetrate and exit. Impressed so far with terminal performance

Lou

Lou, all of the LRAB that I shoot love to be seated .003 from the lands, which means sorting by ogive length. Groups in the 3s or smaller for three shot groups. The LRAB causes massive terminal destruction with complete penetration, best of both worlds. I would not say that the LRAB is for a guy that likes to "eat right up to the bullet hole" in the animal, far from it.

Thanks for the tip on the 165!

I shoot the 6.5, 129g
7mm-175g
30 cal= 168g. Where I hunt, I need them on the ground laying in their tracks. When I hunted in Kansas, Nebraska, and Wyoming, if they ran 100 yards or more, no big deal at all.

I have purchased the 6.5, 142g LRAB and the 7mm 168g LRAB, yet to work up loads for them. I had 10 boxes of the 7mm 150g lrab that I could not get to shoot well, so I gave them to my brother. He found good luck with them jumping around .200, and they open up a deer shooting them out of his 7 RM.

EMP, We had a "Two Guys from Harrison " store in the next town. I used to ride my bike (1960) and used to be amazed by the old Military guns that they had in a wooden barrel, for $5.00 each.
Ah the good old days. Back in the 60's in north central Pennsylvania my dad stopped into a Western Auto store and spied an Ansley H Fox 12ga side by side on the shelf. They wanted $125 for it he got them down to $100. I still have that shotgun today and hunt with it often. fits like a glove.

Yep. BC does help with downrange velocity. The 150 ablr is designed to stabilizes in 1-10 though in general ablr can be picky to get to shoot in any caliber. Nosler lists 1-10 on their site for the factory ammo. I think some guys try them in 270 Win and when don't shoot say not enough twist (since everybody these days is infatuated with over twist) but if don't shoot in say a 6.5 or 7mm blame the bullet. Doesn't help that people rely on the twist calculators which can be close for some bullets but does not take bullet design into account which the actual bullet designers do. Hornady had a podcast on this probably tired of people running on line calcs and quesioning them:)

Been shooting 165ablr into pigs out of 6.8. They do a lot of damage and still penetrate and exit. Impressed so far with terminal performance

Lou
I've shot the ABLR out of a 270, at paper, out to 800yds. The holes in the paper say it is stabilized. No deformed holes. I have a Sig970shr with a 1:10 twist and it does fine. My Tikka shoots them at distance also with no apparent stability issues. The ABLR definitely shoots to a different Point of Impact than does the AB So beware they are not interchangeable in a load, they will require a scope readjustment.

I have looked for a long time for another 788, I have one in 243 and it is a tack driver
.223 and .243 were the calibers that I was most used to seeing in the 788. When I saw the .308 I jumped on it like a robin on a June bug. Turns out that I had not shot out the .308 barrel, I had copper and carbon build-up. A friend took it. put it in his rifle cleaned it up and 45 years later is still taking it deer hunting. It was just a solid rifle, looked good, and was cheap as heck, even I could afford it.

My dad recently passed his pre 64 mod 70 to me. He traded a broken down truck for it the year I was born, 1961 He used it like Elmer Kieth to shoot jack rabbits, coyotes and other small critters. He also used it like Jack O Conner to take antelope deer elk buffalo and even the occasional wild/maverick beef out on the ranch. It is quite a treasure to me. It always got the job done just fine for my dad. He is 91 now and I will miss hunting and shooting with him.
That's the "Rifleman's Rifle ".