17 bmag

re: 17 bmag

had this posted on another forum, thought id share it here also. I picked up a bmag in early February, seems I got an earlier model serial # J1268**. Stock was pressing against the barely horribly. Took some material out of it with the dremel and got the barrel floated back to the action. I still can't get it to shoot under a 3" group. I'm using the 25 grain ammo, that's all I can find locally. Also I am having some feeding and extracting issues. I sent it in to savage about 2 weeks ago, called today for an update they said it was still being worked on. So far I'm pretty disappointed with it. Hopefully savage can redeem themselves on this one!

Since first reading about the 17 WSM cartridge I have looked for comments about the B Mag rifle quality on eight web sites. For a rifle selling for around $ 300 people are getting what they paid for JUNK. Some have claimed that their rifle was accurate out of the box so they are lucky. Take a look at the price of rifles that are known for their out of box accuracy and quality. What can one expect for $ 300 ???

Tuck, I was expecting something along the lines of several of the savage .17 HMRs I have owned. Every one of them has shot excellent and an individual can own one for under $300. Savage IMO hasn't stamped their name on anything "junk" before the bmag

Over the years the overall quality of Savage rifles have improved . Some years ago I reloaded ammo for a 7 MM Rem Mag which had an out of round chamber so I had to full size the cases. During recent years reports of the improved quality-accuracy of their rim and center fire rifles were common. The new 17 WSM cartridge case has a larger base and has more internal chamber pressure than the 22 WMR and 17 HMR cartridges. So a new stronger actions was needed for the 17 WSM cartridge. The way one removes the stock from the 17 WSM is much different then the rifle for their 17 HMR rifle. I can understand why persons who has accurate 17 HMR or 22 WMR rifles are not happy with their 17 WSM rifles when they expected the same quality as their other rim fire rifles. After looking at a web site about how to remove the stock and a number of complaints about the stock and other problems I ll not be getting one. Boyd is making a laminated wood stock for the B Mag which cost about $ 100 which may increase its accuracy. But I have not read how to overcome the other problems other than to return the rifle to Savage. With only Winchester making 17 WSM ammo I think it will be unlikely that other companies will be making a new bolt actions for the WSM cartridge. I may be wrong but I think the WSM will fall like the REM 5 MM RF did years ago. So stock up all the ammo you can get..

tuck don't take this the wrong way, but I don't care if I paid a $1 for the gun. I expect it to have no flaws.

If you thing 300 dollars is ok to spend on "junk" somethings wrong there.

I don't expect the b-mag to shoot like a match gun, but it must have some accuracy. after all we shoot to hit what we re aiming at.

also Volquartsen is making 17 wsm's and savage has made a heavy barrel 17 wsm.

which tells me thatthe first generation 17 wsm barrel was too thin. I suspect the heat created on the barrel by such a fast rimfire cartridge is the reason for poor accuracy. plus factor in factory ammo thats probably sub par.

better ammo and a better barrel will solve the problems, but that doesn't help any of us now.

As long someone else is spending $ 300 for junk its ok with me. I m not about to . I have spent more time looking for comments at various web sites about the 17 WSM ammo and B Mag rifles than any other rifle I have. I just back from shooting sub 1/2 inch 100 yard groups with a CZ 527 Varmint 17 Hornet rifle $ 670, w/ Leupold 4-12 X 40 MM scope $ 500. Its sited in so I may go out and pick on some prairie dogs after lunch. I d not have a problem spending $ 1170 for a good quality and accurate 17 WSM rifle ,but I doubt that one ever will be made.

I find it difficult to expect much from a weapon that gets produced without ammunition available for the weapon. If this is a Winchester Bmag...where(pray tell) is the Winchester firearm?

I'm a Sturm Ruger fan when it comes to rimfires, and I believe I will wait to see if the Ruger establishment produces a model 77 in this calibre. If they do I will buy it. Because gentlemen; Ruger doesn't usually produce firearms for calibres that are not available. I'd be willing to venture that if Ruger produces this calibre weapon the ammunition will be available.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.