160gr Matrix

So what is every ones conclusion and has anyone else shot some flesh with them I am really interested in these bullets for the 264 win mag I am building or should I just stick with the bullets in the 140 grain range

BrentM,

What was the estimated velocity of your bullet when it penciled through at 730 yds?

I haven't shot anything with my 6.5-06 AI yet. The hunting season brought my load development to a standstill. Need to get back on it.

At 1,900+ fps, the bullet should have opened up. Were these stock bullets from Matrix, or had they been modified (tip opened up/uniformed, tip annealed, etc.)?

Muzzle velocity for these bullets out of my 6.5-06 AI will end up being somewhere in the vicinity of 2,900 to 2,950 fps.

Did you recover the coyote? I would be surprised if it did open at that impact velocity with a standard bullet on a coyote, the Berger will even struggle at that velocity on a coyote at times.

My dad and brother shot a 4 or 5 smaller whitetail does with the annealed 160 Matrix, non were long range some may have been right of the muzzle of the rifle. We caught one bullet in a deer and it was peeled all the way back and looked just right for that impact. The organ damage was tremendous from what they told me, he's shooting them at 2960fps and we're thinking out to 500ish yards that the regular bullet is fine but after that an annealed bullet will be used.

We did not get one on an elk, there were elk every where but something always happened when dad had or was going to get a shot, it was his year to be the jinx I think, next year we both will be shooting the 160 Matrix so we'll double our odds of getting these bullets on elk which is really what we want to shoot the bullet for.

Always appreciate the updates from bigngreen.

Down in AZ, we are lucky to get drawn for elk once every 8-10 years for a late Bull hunt in a decent area. If you want to blow your preference points, you can get drawn for cow elk every 2-3 years. So it looks like bigngreen will have results on elk long before I do.

I will post my load development results once they have been finalized. I'm getting pretty close. For load development, I am using the stock bullet. Once that is done. I will be uniforming the points and annealing the tips on all my 160 gr. bullets. Happy hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts