1500yd plus pdog results

Sewwhat89,

Yes, I have been playing with the "short magnum" name idea but to be honest really do not want to get caught up in that circus. Need to work on the name I guess.

When I decide if they will be released as a chambering option maybe I will run a poll on here and get you guys to help me name the new family of cartridges.

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
That wind sure is a bitch!!

[/ QUOTE ]

There are some things that suck about shooting here...

"OOOOOOOklahoma, where the wind comes sweeping down the plains...." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dope /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif??? We don't do that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!

It wasn't 1500 yds, but we were between 41-44 MOA for 1650-1700 yds. These are approximate ranges but I know we are withing 20 yds either way. Still gotta iron out the kinks in the Wilde!!

1650 to 1700 yds was 40-43 or so MOA. Those ranges are kinda broad because of the difficulty ranging out there. Our farthest shots were a little over 1700 and our closest was just under 1600. You know just a chip shot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

steve

That is **** impressive, as a 408 with a 419gn VLD at 2800fps took 59MOA to get a hair over a mile here!!

And my 308 takes about 120 MOA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JB

a bc of .740 at 3450fps is just plain mean!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to see this 185gr ULD richard is gonna make.

All I can say is I wish I had 1/8 of your energy! Please keep us posted and don't forget pictures from time to time. WE ARE WAITING!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Been trying to stay off the forum for awhile but I had to comment on a few things Lerch. First of all, I am glad to hear the AM mag is up and running smoothly. Second, don't get discouraged. Remember awhile back when I told you how tuff 1500 yards was? Well, I wasn't kidding! It makes 1k look like child's play! And then there's 2000...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

The last thing I just wanted to run by you was a friendly suggestion on your shooting rig. 800 yard shots are great with a bipod and rickety old bench, but for double the distance, you might want a better setup (contrary to what Ric Horse has to say). Now, I know there are cost and budget issues in this sport, but before you burn anymore shots through that AM mag you should make sure they get started off a dead steady position.

I only mention this to help you in your quest as I would love to see you accomplish your goals almost as much as yourself.

FWIW. You don't have to listen to me about this topic though by any means. After all, what the heck do I know. I use Leupy scopes to kill stuff at over 1 mile and complete a grand slam, use Coppermelt to clean my barrels, fling Accubonds at game instead of Barnes, square my case heads, calculate my own bc's, verify my own drop charts, don't have a German accent, and that's just the stuff I've taken heat for over the last few months! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

goodgrouper,
Where have you been? We love hearing from you even if you don't know anything!!! LOL...LOL... Truly man, I was missing you already. It sure is good to know you're alive!!!
I have not heard from uncle B either, what's going on?
Take care my friend.

Javier O Moncada.

GG,

Yeah, our bench situation pretty much sucks. Hopefully we'll have that rectified sooner rather than later.

As far as the bipod goes, we're committed to doing this deal w/nothing more than a bipod and a rear bag. The thought of just touching the trigger on gun supported by fancy bench rests just has no appeal to us. We want to feel that we actually shot the animal, not just tapped the trigger.

I mean no disrespect to you when I say this, I'm **** impressed w/what you have accomplished. I would say that your efforts have, in part, inspired us to do this. We may change our toon very quickly as we gain more experience shooting @ these ranges, but for now we are committed. As close as we were Saturday, I have no doubt that one of these rodents will fall victim to the 169.5 Wildcat the next time out.

BTW, do you have a blueprint for your bench? We desperately need to build one. I'll be home for a few days after my little girl is born, and I might be able to slip into the garage for a few hours a day to throw something together. I just can't stand to stay inside all day!!

Thanks for the comments GG and I am glad to see you back on the forum. As for the rest BJ pretty much laid it out. We decided a while back that we wouldnt shoot off of anything that we couldn't carry on a regular hunting trip. It took a long time for BJ to convince me to allow that portable bench to come with us to pdog town /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thankyou for your comments and trust me I now have a clear understanding of the difficulties of killing around 1 mile. I do think that the next time we try it one will fall at this range. We didn't have any cleaning equipment and I think that would have helped and we didn't have really good conditions until later in the day.
I would love to see a blueprint for your bench though, something like that would be nice.

I know that we may be steadier off of a big heavy rest but i like the idea of getting the full VHA downrange club with a bipod and a rear bag. I might change that idea in a few months though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for the comments and get back to posting more on here

thanks
steve

Your killing me Kirby, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

This one sounds pretty good, I would definantly think I would rebarrel to this round when I burn this barrel out. Does Richard know when he will be able to send us some of these new fat boys, I know some guys that will probably $h!T themselves when I tell them I am shooting a 185gr 270 bullet.
I am glad you guys arent gonna stop pushing the envelope and my wife just got a good new job so maybe I will be sending you a new order soon. Maybe something in a 338AM, hell with that gun maybe we will go after Kreg Slack's record /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Take it easy
Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts