1500yd plus pdog results

lerch

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
Well I will go ahead and lay it out, we didn't get any pdogs, but it was a hell of a learning experince.

We set out sturday morning and arrived at pdog town around 1:00 pm. We found a spot that presented us with 1500-1700yd shots so we decided it would work. Wind was straight at us about 10-15mph and it was pretty sunny with temps around 85 deg.
After setting up the Wild rangefinder and all of our other junk I got ready to send the first rounds down town. Well no surprise i didn't make a one shot kill /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I started shooting on top of a large hill and my first 3 shot string land a few bullets within about 3-4 feet of dogs.

BJ fired his first set and his last shoot skimmed just over the head of a dog by less than a foot. I loaded up and tried again and this time I nailed the mound a dog was setting on missing him only by 6" or so. A massive cloud of dirt exploded around the dog showering him in dust, but not killing him.

We fired several more times with several near misses. We had repeated problems with the dogs being shaded by clouds and us being in full sunlight. This made seeing dogs impossible at times and we also had to deal with constantly changing wind conditions.
Our elevation was usually pretty good but left and right was harder. That wind sure is a bitch!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Another problem we had was for us to shoot this far we had to fire at dogs near the road. The dogs are used to getting shot at and run for the hills at the first sight of a impact cloud.
We moved to another group of dogs down the hill a way and BJ began firing. He landed a shot real close to a dog and scared him over to his mound. The mirage picked up and our visiblity lessened. BJ said the could see his dog setting on the top of mound and i agreed something was there.
BJ fired and the bullet hit the top of what he was shooting at and then hit some wet dirt behind the target. This sent a red looking jet into the air. We both agreed BJ may have killed a dog but we decided to stay and continue shooting.

I got on the bench and set up to fire on a dog about 1680yds. I leveled the cross hairs on him and touched the trigger. I spotted my own shot and the bullet landed IMMEDIATLY in front of the dog wounding him somewhere in his back legs. BJ and I both sat speechless thinking I had just flattend a near 1 mile dog when all of a sudden he began spinning around and ran up to his mound.
I was actually shaking as I frantically tried to load another round before the conditions changed. The dog sat on his mound but appeared to be having problems with something near his feet. I fired again and this round landed just under him actually flipping him backwards.

Now I cant tell you for sure but these two shots were within mere inches of eachother and I can only imagine what a 3 shot group on paper would have looked like.

Once again I will say Kirby builds one hell of a rifle.

We fired several more shots with many more close misses. We fired a total of 25rnds a piece and even though we didn't kill anything it was a definate success. Here are some pics from the day.

here is pics down the side of my rifle. I am shooting at the top of the hill but the majority of our shots were father down the hill on the left side close to the fence.
1500YD001.jpg

Here is another shot of the same hillside.
1500YD002.jpg

Here is the hillside again through the Leupold 40 power spotting scope. This is where the majority of our shots were at and there are a few dogs in this pic. One of them is mentally defective because he had 5 rounds land around him before he decided to leave.
1500YD010.jpg

Here is me getting ready to miss again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
1500YD006.jpg

Here is BJ looking for a target
1500YD009.jpg

And finally this is a shot throught my scope, I don't know if you can see any dogs but it was kinda cool looking.
1500YD008.jpg

It was a real fun day and i know it won't be long until a dog dies at 1 mile.

Take it easy
Steve

Sounds like you guys still had a fun shoot. Even with no kills, any day shooting is a great day! I can't believe how many mounds there are on that one hill, I guess i've never seen a dog town that size.

Way to go guys! Sounds like a lot of fun.
Thanks for posting the pics.
Steve (sscoyote) and I are going for a one mile dog on the 26-29th. Hopefully, our wind conditions will be better than yours, but you never know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
We will be shooting just East of Pueblo-Weather permitting.

[ QUOTE ]
BJ fired and the bullet hit the top of what he was shooting at and then hit some wet dirt behind the target. This sent a red looking jet into the air. We both agreed BJ may have killed a dog but we decided to stay and continue shooting.

[/ QUOTE ]

But darned if it wasn't a cow patty when we got down to it!!!

Awesome guys, I read it with excitement… you guys were shooting the 270 Allen Mags, right? Very awesome!!! To me it was just a very successful day you guys had. Good job!!!

Yeah, we were shooting the 270 AMs. I was astonished @ the consistancy we were getting @ these ranges. Now if Richard will just work on that 190 gr .277" bullet.......

Lerch and BJ,

You guys are going to kill me but I guess this is as good a way as any to give the latest developments from the APS/Wildcat thinktank(This generally results in spending more money for Richard and me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif).

Well, RIchard will be hard at it build a new .277" ULD RBBT which I believe he settled on the 185 gr weight.

As you both know I am building a 270 AM for out good Canadian friend to be a 1K whitetail hammer. Well, After the 7mm AM was released, Richard really started to like the performance of that round based on the Lapua case(I think you can probably tell where this is going).

After a couple phone conversations, Richard convinced me to give him what he wanted.

The reamer has been on order for 2 to 3 weeks, and the new cartridge will be called the 277 Allen Mag. Basically a 7mm AM necked down to 277 with no other changes.

Believe me this is in no way an attempt to make the 270 Allen Mag obsolete as it will certainly not do that. This is just another step in pushing the performance envelope, espeically with the new 185 gr ULD RBBT coming on line this winter.

I will be rechambering my Savage based 270 AM to the new 277 Allen Mag as an experiment to see how the Savage receiver will handle the Lapua case head size. After testing I will decide if the Savage can be used as a platform for the 277 Allen Mag.

I am not really sure what increase in performance there will be over the 270 Allen Mag. All I know is that the 7mm Allen Mag will hit 3500 fps with a 160 gr Accubond in a 26" barrel and the 7mm and 270 are very similiar in bore size.

When you guys burn your 270 AM barrels out this will hopefully be an option if you feel you need a bit more performance. The real benefit of the 277 AM over the 270 AM will be longer case life at top pressures and better brass quality.

It will not have the ease of loading that the 270 AM has though. Both will be great rounds and both will say in the AM line up.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby,

No, I'm not going to kill you......but my wife may!!!

Just how much of a pain in the backside is it to neck down from .338" to .277"? Would there be significantly less bbl life in the 277 AM vs the 270 AM?

BTW, I like the line "...if you feel you need a bit more performance." I'm not sure we NEED the performance we have now. I can't even begin to fathom what both of these rounds will do w/that 185 gr pill!!!!

B. J. :

There you go. You had talked about a new gun and this one sounds like a great candidate. The way you guys are going after the p.d.'s those barrels will need to be replaced soon anyway.

The Lapua brass alone would be worth it and it's a piece of cake to neck them down with a comp bushing neck sizing die and the right set of bushings.

Didn't you say something about getting your upcoming arrival a gun for Christmas? Maybe it should be a 277 Allen Magnum…………… /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fiftydriver,
You don't suffer from anything like high blood pressure or cholesterol, or diabetes or something, do you? As fast as you're coming up with all these new ideas you're not helping us. I think my blood pressure just went up... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Seriously now , would you have to anneal before and after fire forming? I mean you'd have to go from 338 to 30 then to 7mm then to 277... Right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

BJ,

I have alot of fine women out there distaining me for mo good reason, but whatever keeps the food on the table I guess and the bullets in the air /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!

Actually, as SS7mm has correctly stated, with the purchase of a Redding 338 Lapua Comp Bushing sizing die and a selection of bushings, the 277 as well as the 7mm AM are extremely easy to form and using this die, neck run outs are suprisingly low as well, even going from 338 to 270 or 7mm.

Certainly an added cost but its a one time deal and the Lapua case will last longer then the RUMs will with top loadings. I have yet to loosen a 7mm AM primer pocket and thats with topping 3500 fps with a 160 gr Accubond and reaching 3200 fps with the 200 gr ULD RBBT in only 26" of barrel.

The RUM cases are relatively easy to loosen a primer pocket on if you run the pressure to high.

We could also easily set back your current barrel when the throat gets toasted and rechamber to the 277 AM as well. Keep that in mind, you do have a full 30"s of barrel to play with!!!.

Kirby Allen(50)

Eaglet,

I don't sleep much my friend, I am either working in the shop(currently thats about all I have been doing), getting my personal rifles ready for the upcoming season or working on R&amp;D for the new AMs on the way.

So far its been alot of fun with some frustrations but nothing out of the ordinary for this type of playing around!!!

The 338 Lapua cases, either Norma or Lapua, have a very good neck and shoulder anneal from the factory. As such they are easily necked down to 270 and 7mm with no problems. They can also be loaded and fireformed without any annealing needed.

After then have been fireformed, then I recommend reannealing the neck and shoulder of the case. After that you will get 5 to 6 firings before annealing is needed again.

It has been a busy last 1/2 year and it will only get busier from here out I suspect. Thats good though!!!

I will also drop another little hint. I am currently working on a prototype rifle based on a Ruger M77 MkII receiver. The wildcat it is chambered in is of 6.5mm caliber and is about as much performance as one can fit into a standard length(3.400" OAL) receiver.

Interestingly enough, This Ruger is a Magnum receiver and no modifications have been made to the action at all except to releive the extractor claw a bit. Feeding has been so far picture perfect for a CRF rifle and accuracy has been in the 3/4 moa with fireforming loads using the 140 gr Speer seated a solid 0.100" off the lands for a pressure cushion.

I just finished the barrel break in today doing it around customers projects that I am working on. It has a Lilja #6 contour, 1-8 twist 26" stainless barrel with a Holland QD brake on the stainless Ruger M77 MkII receiver and all that is sitting in the Ruger factory Laminated wood stock. Its quite an attactive medium weight sporter rifle.

I just loaded up the first test loads using the 125 gr Partition over AA8700 powder.

The starting loads begin at 85.0 gr and go up to 95.0 gr of 8700. At 95.0 gr the case is loaded to I would say 99 to 100% load density with this bullet seated to 3.400" OAL which fits in the mag box.

Basically the entire reason for this experiment was that I needed a lighter, faster handling rifle as a second rifle to take to Canada next month. A gunsmith laying in bed at night with his mind running is a dangerous, and often expensive situation for sure /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!

I will be testing this rifle out and if it proves up to my standards I will release an entire line of this size rounds, 257, 6.5 and 270.

The idea is to get as much performance as possible in a true standard length receiver. For the Rem 700 and true magnum length receivers the Allen Magnums of course the the chamberings of choice but I figured there were alot of Ruger and Win 70 standard length rifles out there that would make a great platform for these chamberings if they work out.

So far, I have liked everything I have seen with this 6.5.

I don;t even have a name for it yet, pretty sad. Kind of like a dad calling his kid "hey you"!!

More on these rounds soon to come. I will not give any details to the parent case or specs but I will say the case used is vastly superior to the RUM in case quality and soon it will be world class quality.

Did I mention that the fireforming loads with the 140 gr SP recoiled about like a 22-250 in a varmint weight rifle!!! She is a pleasure to shoot!

Kirby Allen(50)

Sounds like an Allen Short Mag in the making . . .

Then of course you will have to release a line of Allen Super Short Mags in say 24, 25, 26 cal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.