1000yd Pdog Repeat

lerch

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
Well I think BJ has had enough teasing. Everybody has been giving him a hard time about me using his rifle and his loads to kill a pdog at 1049 on his land so we are going out tonight to try it again. Hopefully we will be posting some pics tommorrow of me and BJ with some more freshly killed 1k plus prairie poodles. Most likely it will be with me killing them 100yds farther than the one BJ hits /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Just joking, actually I just hope than both of us can hit one out here again. I think our chances will be better because we are going to set up in the same spot as last time and we know the ranges better this time

Thanks
Steve

Well, I guess this means the pressure is on. Lerch might not get to shoot till after I have killed one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It sure will be hard for him show me up with that 22-250!!

Good plan Bill
The land owner gets to set the rules and they are subject to change as needed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

GOOD LUCK BILL

Lerch bask in the glory and spot bill's shots the spotter is just as important as the trigger man tonight!

CAM

Well, in the words of Lerch, "Today the sun rose on a new man."

We managed to cut our of work about 15 min early to a jump on things. Drove the 45 min. to dog town and got set up.
Luckily, there were some clouds in the west so this gave us a break from the 95 degree heat.

We went straight to the location where Lerch made his lucky shot last Wed. We still had not moved the scope from the last trip, and the wind was just a little lighter, so we knew we were going to be close.

We also managed to get the ok to demo one of the new Swaro rangefinders since our Leica didn't show up last time. As bad as I had to say it, the Swaro is a superior piece of equipment. We got a reading on a black cow @ around 1200 yds. This thing would range things that the Leica wouldn't, all the way out to 1380yds, in fairly bright sunlight.

After testing out the new range finder, I fired the first five rounds. I wasn't as close as I had hoped, but I would say that I never missed by more that a foot @ 1050yds. Lerch then touched a few of with his 22-250 @ around 800 yds. Needless to say, I think he will be selling it!! He then picked up my baby and lobbed 5 105 Amax down @ the dogs. Again, not as close as I had hoped, but still pretty good.

After letting the bbl cool down and talking to my old man, who decided to show up and see if we were lying, the cows made there way to over to our killing field.

We switched over to a different location and got a reading on a large mound, with the Swaro I might add, of 1080 yds.
I cranked the elevation up a bit and let 5 more fly. My last shot was so close it hurt.

The ball was now in Lerch's court. He conected on the third shot of his next round. Looking through our spotter, I saw dirt kick up behind the dog, which was setting up, and thought he had missed. Then the dog just fell over and started twitching. Needless to say, with 2 1K kills to my 0 with my gun, Lerch was done.

After letting the bbl cool, I lined up for a few more shots. I don't remember how many misses, but I do remember my first hit. It was on a hole in the side of a mound that we has mistaken for a dog!! I guess we should have realized it wasn't a dog when he didn't move on the first near hit, as my dad pointed out. I guess we figured we could see better than the old man. Wrong!!

Feeling encouraged by killing the hole, I centered the dot on another dog and lobbed an Amax out there. Steve yelled out, "Hit!! Wait, he's moving. Put another one in him!!" I thought I had found him and touched the 14 oz trigger. The dog I was shooting @ went air borne!! Only to run down in a hole. So close!!

Lerch then proceeded to tell me that the one I had hit had expired, so I had my 1k kill. Since I had the gun loaded, I decided to touch one more off. I looked through the scope and noticed a dog checking out my kill. I centered the dot on his body, took my breath and squeezed. The dog spun in a cirlce and fell over dead!!! The old TX heart shot!!

Upon driving down to the killing field, we discoverd all three of the dead within 15 yds of each other!! Now both of us have 2 1k kills each and will qualify for the 1000 yd and 500 yd clubs.

We had a great time and made some unforgetable memories. Once we get our 270 AM we'll have to back out to 1500 and give it a try!!

About 1 yr ago, if someone else would have wrote this and I would have read it, I would have had to call BS. But after watching Beyond Belief and finding this board, I know this is possible. I would like to thank everyone here for the wealth of information on this site. Pretty much everything Lerch and I have learned, has come from the pages of this message board!!
pdogshot7-11-05004.jpg

Lerch trying to find a dog to miss!! The dogs were just under the left side of the dirt bank.

pdogshot7-11-05001.jpg

Another pic from our post.

pdogshot7-11-05002.jpg

Same pic but on 10x. Again, dogs were just under left of dirt bank.

pdogshot7-11-05010.jpg

Shot from dogs veiw. We were just above the dirt on the hill. 10x zoom.

pdogshot7-11-05011.jpg

Same as above w/out zoom.

pdogshot7-11-05009.jpg

The Triangle of Death. I think you can see all three dogs in this pic.

pdogshot7-11-05008.jpg

Lerch cut the jugular on this one.

pdogshot7-11-05006.jpg

My TX heart shot.

pdogshot7-11-05013.jpg

Me with my kills.

pdogshot7-11-05014.jpg

Lerch w/his.
pdogshot7-11-05020.jpg

A pic of a bullet we found lieing on top of the ground.

Have a great day!!
B.J.

I forgot to mention that we fired a total of 29 shots. 10.35% hit rate. Not too bad for a factory gun!!

[ QUOTE ]
About 1 yr ago, if someone else would have wrote this and I would have read it, I would have had to call BS. But after watching Beyond Belief and finding this board, I know this is possible. I would like to thank everyone here for the wealth of information on this site. Pretty much everything Lerch and I have learned, has come from the pages of this message board!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that! I too never thought that this sort of thing was possible. Now I know better.

I have a few questions for ya since you aren't having very good luck with the 22-250. I was thinking of getting a 22-250 for long range practice and then step up to my 7mm RM when I go big game hunting. But now since I have read this it sounds like the 22-250 is gonna crap out on me once it gets to the 6-700 mark. Should I consider stepping up to something like the 243 or is Lerch just having bad luck with his rifle (did he get a dud)?

The gun isdefinantly not a dud. It has shot 1" 500yd groups and a .8 400yd group so it is definantly capable of great things. The simple fact is that it is not capable of firing bullets that are actually good at this range. The 6mm 105gr a-max simply does great at 1k and a 55gr 22cal just doesn't. Check out my posts on "going for 1000yd kill tonight". I ran a bunch of numbers through a ballistics program and it really proves this point. If all you are wanting is a 500yd rifle the 22-250 will be great for you, but for much past 600-700 you really need a heavier bullet.

Good Luck
Steve

Great shooting Bill!
Congrats on both of your 1K plus kills so close together!
Lerch congrats on your second 1K plus kill as well!!
Great story and pics also!
Keep em coming guys.

Congrats to you both! Sounds like a heck of good time. Can't wait to see the 270AM in action. Great story and pics

I saw your pdog kill on this site. That was incredible. I was wondering what kind of rangefinder you use. I believe you said it was a lieca. I am just getting into longrange varmint hunting and I would like to get a good range finder that will range to 1000 yards. I have a busnell, however, it only works good to about 850 yards. I have three rifles set up for varmint hunting. My first rifle is a .223, remington action trued and blueprinted to a shilen 25" 1.250 barrel, fitted on H-S varmint stock and custom trigger job set to one pond, topped with a leupold 4.5x14 v-III M1. My second rifle is a 220 swift, remington action trued and blueprinted to a 27" lilja barrel .920 at the muzzel, jewell trigger set at 6oz, holland brake, H-S varmint stock, and topped with nightforce 5.5x22 56mm NXS w/DD reticle. My third and final rig is my baby. It is 6.5x284 290nk, BAT 8.5 action, Hart 28"1/2 barrel 1.100 at the muzzel with custom flutes and muzzel brake, jewell trigger set at 2oz, Mcmillan A-4 stock, topped with a nightforce 12x42x56mm NXS w/DD reticle, this rifle was built by Dave Tooley. My best 3 shot group with my 6.5x284 is .093 at 100 yards. My best 3 shot group with my .223 is .173 at 100 yards. I haven't been able to shoot my 220 swift becuase it is still being built. I am sorry if it sounds like I am bragging about my rifles, I just wanted to show you and others that may read this to see how serious I am about shooting varmints. I am looking for people that are serious about this sport and it looks like you are very serious about shooting long range. If you have any suggestions about long range varmint hunting, please give me any advise you have. I hope one day to be in the 500yrd and 1000yrd club. Great shot on that pdog, I hope one day to do the same.

thanks, wildcat

welcome to the board
You can do a search on range finders, there has been a lot of discussions on the leica's, and new swarovoski range finders.

If you have the dough, and it appears you do by looking @ the list of guns you posted, go with the Swaro. As I stated earlier, I have a Leica and thought it was great. I didn't think the Swaro was worth the extra money. Then I got to demo one. I may have to find a new home for my Leica!!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.