1000yd Pdog Repeat

Awesome shooting!
Hunting p-dogs is high on my wish list, here in Sweden
we have no animals that really can be called varmints.
And that type of long range hunting is almost impossible
here cos of woods and farmland where people live close to
the hunting grounds.

No one who wants a Sweed as companion for a p-dog hunt? hint hint /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
we have no animals that really can be called varmints.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I recall correctly, when I did a wildlife biology study on european animals I found marmots in several countries. Have you seen any?

Hi

Im not quite sure what marmot is, but when I made a search for it on the net i found this picture.
Marmot
That one we dont have.

The most common animals that really do any harm for farmers here in Sweden is the fox, beaver, mink and badger.

Good pics. The marmot is one of the yellowbellied kind that inhabit the western united states from 3500 feet to as high as 14,000 feet. The marmot more commonly found in the eastern US is the woodchuck. It was closer in resemblance to the european marmots than the yellow belly. World wide, there are hundreds of different varieties. Some of the best looking in the world inhabit the Himilayan mountains up to as high as 16,000 feet!

In my neck of the woods, the fox and badger are considered varmints and can be hunted without a license. The beaver and mink require a furbearers permit.

Welcome to LRH Wildcat,

I am the other guy in the pics with BJ, the one that is a good shot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif, me and BJ work together at our families firearm store. We sell the Swaro for 848.00 and we cover the shipping. The are truly a amazing piece of equipment.

Thanks
Steve

Lerch & BJ:

This little guy thought that since you guys are using the 243 that he might be able to fight back.
248855Medium.jpg

This guy heard you guys are getting the new 270 Allen Mags and knows his only hope is to ask for help!
PrayingPDheadMedium.jpg

Nice pics!!

I think we may go try the 1500 yd thing this week or weekend. We may have to wait for the big 270s as the .243 goes subsonic right @ this range.

GG,

I just got my first issue of VHA and I noticed a pic of a certain someone with a 1500 something yard kill. Nice shot!!

I don't know when me and BJ's pics will be in there, hopefully soon. We are gonna try for 1500yds as soon as we get a calm evening around here, do you think that 243win will make it out that far???

Congrats on the 1500yd club /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks Steve

Thanks Lerch.

About the 1500 yard club, let me first wish you good luck. I believe that the 243 AI with a 107 Sierra or a bullet with a similiar bc will probably kill a p-dog at 1500. The question is will it die before it makes it to it's hole. As you know, no body=no pic=no entry. You will probably have to strike the upper torso to do it, which means you are aiming at an area approximately 3"x3" at 1500+ yards. That is very tiny!!

I haven't run the drop chart for your load, but I can tell you that a 107 Sierra at 3350 barely poked a big enough hole in Brian's 1500 yard chuck to kill it. If the chuck hadn't been 35 yards from it's hole when hit, the chuck would have made it to it's hole. P-dogs are thankfully much easier to kill than a 14 pound chuck like B's.

One other thing I might point out is that the 500 yards between 500 and 1000 is exponentially easier than the 500 yards between 1000 and 1500.

When I was attempting the 1500 yard club, I had well over 25 confirmed kills on chucks from 1000 to around 1350. 800 yard chucks were a chip shot, and the difficulty in the 1500 yard shot was almost discouraging. We made 6 attempts over the course of the summer before we scored!

I only tell you this so you won't get dismayed if you don't get the 1500 as easy as you got the 1k. For every 50 yards past 1k, I would say the difficulty level doubles. That is why there is almost one full page in the VHA of 1k members now and only a couple columns of guys in the 1500!

Good shooting.

Thanks for the info GG

We ran the 243 win through our ballistics program and at 1500yds it is still supersonic, but not by much /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

Trust me I am not underestimating how hard 1500 is gonna be, hell 1K is really hard and I just got lucky to hit one on our first try. The 105 a-max still expanded decently at 1K for us, one of BJ's had his belly split wide open and nearly took a leg off. I just hope the 243win has enough power at 1500 to at least knock one out so then I can run down there and tackle him /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Take it easy
Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.