147ELDM terminal performance on Antelope

bota

My wife shot an antelope buck at 450yds yesterday with the 147 out of our 6.5-284 at 3050fps. The bullet entered between two ribs, penciled through the first lung, and took out a chunk of the second lung. There where 3 holes in the oft side rib cage and no exit wounds. The buck ran about 300 yards and was alive of several minutes never offering a follow up shot.

I am switching back to the 140 Berger. We have shot many elk with the 140s and its rare for even a big bull to take a step after being hit with the 140s.

I know its just a sample size of one, but I thought I would post up the experience with the bullet.

Uh oh. Hope they perform better than that when hit in the neck.

Friend shot a couple cows at about that distance with a CM and the 147's and they were DRT.

"147ELDM terminal performance on Antelope"

It's a target bullet. Of course it performed poorly. Why did you dump on a product you use inappropriately?

You probably would have experienced different performance with the ELD-X.
Uh oh. Hope they perform better than that when hit in the neck.

Friend shot a couple cows at about that distance with a CM and the 147's and they were DRT.
Bone (neck shot)and ELD-M's should perform well.

Last time I used a hammer to unscrew a nut from a bolt, it performed poorly, I complained to the manufacturer. ;);)

I switched back to another manufacturers wrench and it performed flawlessly. Go figure.;);)

Talk all I write with a smile and you will understand where I am coming from.

I am on a hunt right now in wyoming. First time hunting with 6.5ss and 147's at 3200fps.
Shot a doe yesterday laying down with a 5-6 mph wind at 9 o'clock.
Hit her in crease of shoulder and smashed both lungs. Her head went straight down and did not move.
Bullet hit both ribs going in and exiting off shoulder.
652 yards.
Will post pictures later when I get back to camp. Very pleased with 6.5ss and 147's

Ray

Sorry to hear that Bota.... For whatever reason, I'm thinking you may have experienced some kind of anomaly.... I'm running the 147 in a 6.5 GAP @ 3000 fps (pretty mild load) and haven't had any issues... so far for big game the 147s out of that gun have taken a couple bears (under 100 yds), 2 Sitka blacktails (50 yd shot on both), 1 cow elk (250 yds), and 3 antelope (500, 999, 1030 yds)....I have been completely satisfied and quite impressed with bullet performance in every case. Only the cow elk and 1 of the Sitka blacktails took a single step, and both were done in 20 yds or less....

Yep. Hitting bone would have been a different story I'm sure. Admittedly it was a sample size of 1 as I said above. I personally won't be doing anymore research. I'm glad they are working for you guys above.

Not sure how posting my experience hunting with the match bullets was product "bashing"? I hope Hornady will accept my sincerest apologies for trying to hunt with their target bullets.

The 140 Amax worked really well....

A friend shot an antelope yesterday with a 147 out of his 6.5 SS at 652 yards and it never moved!! He will probably post on it when he returns.
My wife shot an antelope buck at 450yds yesterday with the 147 out of our 6.5-284 at 3050fps. The bullet entered between two ribs, penciled through the first lung, and took out a chunk of the second lung. There where 3 holes in the oft side rib cage and no exit wounds. The buck ran about 300 yards and was alive of several minutes never offering a follow up shot.

I am switching back to the 140 Berger. We have shot many elk with the 140s and its rare for even a big bull to take a step after being hit with the 140s.

I know its just a sample size of one, but I thought I would post up the experience with the bullet.
"147ELDM terminal performance on Antelope"

It's a target bullet. Of course it performed poorly. Why did you dump on a product you use inappropriately?

You probably would have experienced different performance with the ELD-X.

Bone (neck shot)and ELD-M's should perform well.

Berger VLD's were target bullets before they were designated hunting bullets. I have tested the ELDM and X side by side and there is little difference in performance and the older A-Max performed well also. The biggest difference is the M's have the highest b.c. so why not use them?

I didn't do a autopsy on my dads cow because I generally don't go in the guts. It was a perfect lung shot though.

No, not always catching ribs, or bone on the entrance.... even coyotes out to 1000 are 99.9% bang-flop, bone or not and great bullet expansion. Personally, I would consider your experience as a fluke.... but I completely understand feeling compelled to make a switch after what you saw... if one digs deep enough you can find examples of just about every bullet out there failing (Bergers included). Usually, it's just a fluke.

No, not always catching ribs, or bone on the entrance.... even coyotes out to 1000 are 99.9% bang-flop, bone or not and great bullet expansion. Personally, I would consider your experience as a fluke.... but I completely understand feeling compelled to make a switch after what you saw... if one digs deep enough you can find examples of just about every bullet out there failing (Bergers included). Usually, it's just a fluke.
+1.....Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.