147ELDM terminal performance on Antelope

No, I didn't receive any warnings. I was responding to Mr. Seaman who said that I was "dumping" on the product and using them wrong. Apparently hunting with target bullets is a new concept for him. Sorry for the confusion.

I think you guys about have me convinced that this was indeed an isolated incident. Watching an animal that was hit perfectly take so long to die is not real fun. I'll continue to bang steel with these bullets since they are fantastically accurate in my rifle. I just don't think I'll hunt with them since I've never had a fluke failure with the bergers. I really hope they continue to work for the guys that are hunting with them.

Its good to see that so many of you like these bullets for hunting. I didn't see a lot of hunting results online about the 147s and the main reason for starting this topic was to see if others were having success/problems with them. I probably could have made that more clear in the first post. Good luck with your hunts!

Anyone who has witnessed a lot of game shot with Bergers has seen performance all over the spectrum or has been extremely lucky with them. I've seen them pencil hole game, blow up on the surface, and everything in between. They are crazy accurate but the performance on game isn't what I like because of that and the fact that elk tend to run off when shot with Bergers and freeze or fall when hit with Amax's/ELD-M's. To each his own but I'll continue to use Hornady bullets as much as possible as long as they are accurate in the rifle I'm using.

Anyone who has witnessed a lot of game shot with Bergers has seen performance all over the spectrum or has been extremely lucky with them. I've seen them pencil hole game, blow up on the surface, and everything in between. They are crazy accurate but the performance on game isn't what I like because of that and the fact that elk tend to run off when shot with Bergers and freeze or fall when hit with Amax's/ELD-M's. To each his own but I'll continue to use Hornady bullets as much as possible as long as they are accurate in the rifle I'm using.
I'm with Nathan on this one!

No, I didn't receive any warnings. I was responding to Mr. Seaman who said that I was "dumping" on the product and using them wrong. Apparently hunting with target bullets is a new concept for him.
Life is to short to take things so serious.

No hunting with "target" bullets is not a new concept for me but if you feel the need to take a cheap shot, more power to ya.

My point was only that, "target" bullets might not perform as well at hunting, same as hunting bullets may not perform as well at target shooting and that bashing the maker is not fare. Yes, to me it seemed like you were bashing Hornady.

I have a large number of ELD-Ms and I haven't shot any yet. Just has not made it to the top of the reloading to do list. I would not hesitate to use ELD-M for hunting. There are a few things that go with that. If the bullet does not perform it's my fault. Since I am sacrificing terminal performance for ballistic performance, I would have no rights to bitch. I don't use lead based bullets for hunting anyway.

I agree with Rich's findings on the expansion difference between the ELDM and ELDX. I'd be willing to wager, as Rich has already proven, that the M & X performance to be eerily similar.

OP, if you want to give up on them, I completely understand and won't oppose your decision but (there's always a but); for nothing more than my personal satisfaction, I'd more than likely give'em at least one more chance to show their true colors... whichever color that may be.

t

So if I'm reading the OP coorectly, the bullet penciled the first lung (no expansion), began to expand on the second lung, then fragmented so violently that it did not exit the off ribcage of an antlelope? Seams odd. You hear of bullets not expanding or expanding too much, but doing both in one shot is a new one for me

I for one feel for the OP! Him and his wife had a bad experience and do not want to repeat that scenario. His alternative bullet has killed a lot of animals but is not my choice.
There are many respectable hunters and game animals that want nothing to do with ELD Match bullets. Hell, I met an Antelope today that really hated the 147 ELD M! She was looking at me looking at her. When I hit her at 1,175 yards, she reared up kickng legs and fell. Shook her head and expired!
Blood trail was easy to follow.
10134.jpeg

I for one feel for the OP! Him and his wife had a bad experience and do not want to repeat that scenario. His alternative bullet has killed a lot of animals but is not my choice.
There are many respectable hunters and game animals that want nothing to do with ELD Match bullets. Hell, I met an Antelope today that really hated the 147 ELD M! She was looking at me looking at her. When I hit her at 1,175 yards, she reared up kickng legs and fell. Shook her head and expired!
View attachment 81348

Very nice shooting Ray! Looks like the ELDM worked pretty well on that one, and at 1175 no less.........Rich

View attachment 81348

Can't really argue with that performance. 1175 is one hell of a poke! Nice shot!

I think I may give them another chance this weekend. It seems like my experience was probably a fluke and I overreacted. Especially based on everyone else having good results. I have also had and seen good results with the old 140 amax.

So if I'm reading the OP coorectly, the bullet penciled the first lung (no expansion), began to expand on the second lung, then fragmented so violently that it did not exit the off ribcage of an antlelope? Seams odd. You hear of bullets not expanding or expanding too much, but doing both in one shot is a new one for me

I didn't mean to imply that it fragmented violently. There were 3 holes in the oft side rib cage that did not leave exit wounds and I didn't skin the antelope. It looked more like to me that the bullet broke into 3 large pieces. The chunk of lung that was hit on the oft side was roughly the size of a golf ball.

Can't really argue with that performance. 1175 is one hell of a poke! Nice shot!

I think I may give them another chance this weekend. It seems like my experience was probably a fluke and I overreacted. Especially based on everyone else having good results. I have also had and seen good results with the old 140 amax.

I didn't mean to imply that it fragmented violently. There were 3 holes in the oft side rib cage that did not leave exit wounds and I didn't skin the antelope. It looked more like to me that the bullet broke into 3 large pieces. The chunk of lung that was hit on the oft side was roughly the size of a golf ball.
That is typical at close range but what was not typical was the animal not DOA! The 3 holes were definitely shrapnel. Thanks for your post. It just goes to show that every hit is a little different......Rich

Thank you!
I am not trying to sway you either way. I have no dog in in this fight and am not loyal to any brand or bullet. I have used the ELD Match bullet all last year and twice this year. Have 13-16 game animals to go this year. If they fail to perform for any reason I will post. That includes poor shot placement from myself.
Good luck!

Ray

View attachment 81348
That's the best blood trail to follow for sure!!!

Honestly guys can you name a single bullet design that has ever been made that has not at one time or another utterly failed to perform properly? Not expand or frag etc and game just kept on running or it was a hole ina nd out???? I can not think of a single one. All you had to do is search any bullet and there is someone somewhere that had one fail on him or her.

Its trends that matter and why reporting experiences is important. It also helps to bring out comments from others +/- that have used it.

I have seen SP, accubonds, interbond, SMK, AMAX, EOLs, Corlok you name it all have failed.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.