147 ELD-M results on elk

• Thread starter Deleted member 25294
  • Start date
T
Our LR rifles all shoot well, so why not just head or neck shoot at shorter distances? Leave the behind the shoulder shots for distance.

Head shot a buck and a bull this year with the 147's out of my 6.5x284 @ 3010. Of course it destroyed the deer, no surprise. It did perform better on the bull than I've seen from 140 class 6.5's bullets in the past though. Stone dead, no flop.

No pic of the bull, but I couldn't resist on the deer.
That's a messed up rack for the wall....lol, you should mount it just like that.

My grandson shot a bull this year with a 6.5 Creedmoor using the 147 ELD M. I was hesitant to use this bullet but when we bought the rifle i bought some of these to load up for practice. They shot really well and we decided to hunt with the.

He shot the bull at 175 yards and hit him at the joint at the base of the shoulderblade. It busted the joint up pretty good and shredded the lungs. Upon looking closer there was no indication that any part of a bullet hit the offside ribcage. The bullet did the job but I think I'll switch to a accubond as i don't plan on him shooting long range with this rig.

Attachments

• 20171022_182509.jpg
    20171022_182509.jpg
    606.4 KB · Views: 223
I agree with the bigger bores being far better in that regard. We were talking 6.5 but the mass with say a 285 ELDM in a 338 makes a BIG difference!.....Rich

My grandson shot a bull this year with a 6.5 Creedmoor using the 147 ELD M. I was hesitant to use this bullet but when we bought the rifle i bought some of these to load up for practice. They shot really well and we decided to hunt with the.

He shot the bull at 175 yards and hit him at the joint at the base of the shoulderblade. It busted the joint up pretty good and shredded the lungs. Upon looking closer there was no indication that any part of a bullet hit the offside ribcage. The bullet did the job but I think I'll switch to a accubond as i don't plan on him shooting long range with this rig.
For shooting at closer ranges, I fully agree! It does show; however, that the 147 is capable if used properly, even closer up......Rich

From my experiences with eldm and amax bullets, with impact velocitys under 2600 they preform perfect, above 2600 its best to aim for double lung a rib or 2 behind the shoulder (which is easy since that means your at closer range)

From my experiences with eldm and amax bullets, with impact velocitys under 2600 they preform perfect, above 2600 its best to aim for double lung a rib or 2 behind the shoulder (which is easy since that means your at closer range)
That velocity is just about right!

Here is some more data on the 147 ELDM. I shot a small white tail buck last night at 150 yards with my 6.5 SST with a mv of 3107'. He was trotting and quartering away from me. I aimed to catch the off shoulder and hit him just behind the last rib. The bullet traveled through body cavity catching a rib on the offside behind the shoulder and stopping in the meat just under the hide. It had just a bit of core left in the jacket which had peeled clear to the boat tail. Another piece of the core exited the lower brisket and broke the upper fore leg blowing about a 1 1/2" hole. The measured distance that the bullet traveled was 27". The internals were jello for nearly 2 feet! This was actually a good test of what a thin skinned bullet might do at around 2930' or so impact velocity. No, I am not touting the 147 as a good choice for close range, but it's nice to know what it will do in this case........Rich

Attachments

• 147 entry.jpg
    147 entry.jpg
    385.7 KB · Views: 179
  • 147 exit.jpg
    147 exit.jpg
    416.7 KB · Views: 174
  • 147 bullet retained.jpg
    147 bullet retained.jpg
    361.9 KB · Views: 182
Thanks Paul,
I was at work and typing my previous posts when I got a minute here and there. What I was trying to say is that I totally agree with you about using a different bullet all together if shots are at closer ranges. For me that would be about 500ish and under.
I built this 6.5ss for exactly this reason but being me I like to stretch it. The 6.5ss has 3 kills this year. 2 Antelope 652 yards and 1175. Daughter's Elk at 376.
Maybe some of you guys can ponder this! 147 ELD M's at 3,240 fps. I would think these would grenade faster than guys running around 2800 fps.
Anyway and this is funny now but not when it happened! The night before we shot daughter's Elk we spotted a big 6x6 bull. Next morning when we spotted bull same place my spotter assured me it was same 6x6 we saw and said kill it. I was helping daughter get setup and doing what we do to get ready. I asked again, is this the 6x6. He said kill it! This bull was like a statue and never moved. Any we did alright. Here is my lil girl with her bull. Smile is worth a million to me!

View attachment 83968 View attachment 83969
You're a deservedly very proud dad and that's one heck of a bull. Did you score it?

With those forks he reminds me of a Red Deer.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.