143 eldx bullet test

I may just have to try them in my 264WM sounds promising for 3300 plus. I have pushed the 160gr Woodleigh PPSN to 3261fps but that's in the danger zone so I will be backing off on that load. Hoping to loose pressure signs around 3200fps.

I have been testing the 143's in my 6.5SS this week and am VERY impressed! They are extremely accurate, the listed b.c. is spot on to 1300 yards where I was busting water filled jugs, and expansion is impressive! My mv is 3201' and I only need 29.5moa to 1300 yards. Below are some expansion pics.
View attachment 58537
View attachment 58538

That's great news! I plan to try ELD-Xs in my Creedmoor and 26 Nosler.....both currently being built.

Gonna see if 103 gr of US869 will turn these into
Extremely Like Dynamite-eXplosive

Attachments

• 6.5 Prometheus-a.jpg
    6.5 Prometheus-a.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 142
Gonna see if 103 gr of US869 will turn these into
Extremely Like Dynamite-eXplosive
Hi Swamplord wondering if you have tried them and what speed you are getting? Your gun producer will not convert a 30-06 Enfield to the 6.5 Pro. I would guess the old H570 would launch them as that is what I use to get 3261fps with the 160gr Woodleigh with 73gr powder.

The 1520' was point blank with a reduced load of 17 grains 4198 and the mag speed attached to barrel.

That looks like nice expansion for 1500 fps. I wonder if it might expand even a little more than that in reality when launched at 3000+ fps due to the higher rpms. I think I'm going to try some of these in my 6.5 SAUM. Thanks for the info Rich!

That looks like nice expansion for 1500 fps. I wonder if it might expand even a little more than that in reality when launched at 3000+ fps due to the higher rpms. I think I'm going to try some of these in my 6.5 SAUM. Thanks for the info Rich!

Yes, I am convinced that it would expand more at higher RPM. I don't mind testing this way with a reduced load because I know real life will likely be better not worse. I think this bullet is capable of expanding down to about 1300'. The 150 Matrix is still my go to bullet, at least until this one takes meat, but I have high hopes for it.....Rich

Are you guys planning to shoot elk with the 143 ELD-X? Been thinking really hard lately about a new 6.5 rifle not sure what to chamber though. Leaning towards a 260 rem or 6.5 x 284. Great thread on this new bullet!

It is great that new and better bullets for the 6.5 are being developed. I am going to try the 143gr ELDX in my 264WM which I should be able to 3200 to 3300 fps with no signs of pressure.

Are you guys planning to shoot elk with the 143 ELD-X? Been thinking really hard lately about a new 6.5 rifle not sure what to chamber though. Leaning towards a 260 rem or 6.5 x 284. Great thread on this new bullet!

I think we'll have at least a couple 6.5's putting them on elk this season, I built a customer a 6.5x284 that's hammering and he's wanting to run them as well so I think we'll see a bunch of elk take one next year!!

Rich , if you want me to get this off your thread , and start a new one , just give me the word . I thought it might be easier for guys to view the info with it all in one place .

I ran a similar test to Rich's test, about the same time Rich did his . I shot these from 20 yards . these are quickload velocities . all three bullets spit out the lead core . I'll give inches of penetration , since I was using all different sizes of jugs .

2806FPS ,
made it into the jug that measured 18 - 22 inches of penetration . did not dimple the back of that jug . jacket Dia .543 , lead core Dia .390 , two pieces weighed 72.40 grain

2317 FPS ,
the core made it into the jug that would be 15 1/2 - 19 inches . the jacket made it into the jug that would be 11 1/2 - 15 1/2 inches . the jacket Dia .570 , the core Dia .419 . the two pieces weighed 105.64 grain

1803 FPS ,
the two bigger pieces made it into the jug that would be 12 - 16 inches of penetration . the two small shards were in the jug that would be 9 - 12 inches . jacket Dia .508 . core size is .480 x .375 total weight of all pieces 123.40 grain , weight of the two shards 11.52 gr

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts