143 eldx bullet test

elkaholic

I have been testing the 143's in my 6.5SS this week and am VERY impressed! They are extremely accurate, the listed b.c. is spot on to 1300 yards where I was busting water filled jugs, and expansion is impressive! My mv is 3201' and I only need 29.5moa to 1300 yards. Below are some expansion pics.
143 eldx expansion test.jpg
143 reduced load expansion.jpg

Awesome, I'm really happy to see a nice real world test. I'll be running those in my 260 at about 2700MV, so I won't get as far as fast. I'm hoping for killing speed at 700+, which should be doable. How do you get the end speed readout?

Nice work Rich. The abundance of high hopes for these bullets may indeed be well deserved.

Awesome, I'm really happy to see a nice real world test. I'll be running those in my 260 at about 2700MV, so I won't get as far as fast. I'm hoping for killing speed at 700+, which should be doable. How do you get the end speed readout?

The 780 yd @2230 was based on mv which should be very close. The 1520' was point blank with a reduced load of 17 grains 4198 and the mag speed attached to barrel. You should be fine at 700 yds. with this bullet...Rich

Nice work Rich. The abundance of high hopes for these bullets may indeed be well deserved.

I really think that they will be extremely difficult to beat all around! I ran some at 3302' out of my 26" barrel 6.5SS. That gives me 17.8 moa at 1000 yards!! I wouldn't run them there though because it would be to hard on my nice brass:D

Thanks for sharing Rich! I'm hoping to run the 162s in the 7 SS I've got coming and hope they perform just as well!

Hoping to get these figured out in my 6.5-284 pretty soon so that I can shoot a spring bear in about a month. My 6.5-284 isn't liking me though, so I may have to load them up in my trusty .260 rem. It eats anything I feed it

Nice! My saum hasn't liked these so far with h1000 and 0.020" jump. Where are you loading them in relation to the lands and what powder are you using?

Nice! My saum hasn't liked these so far with h1000 and 0.020" jump. Where are you loading them in relation to the lands and what powder are you using?

RL26 and I have not done a lot of load development yet either. They shot well at .010" off, and .030" off. I shot 2 at .060 off (was all I had) and they were touching, so will try that again. They shot 3/8 at .030" off.

I cannot tell you how happy I am that you are doing these tests Rich! As you know, I am building a 6.5ss and this stuff is helping the time pass a little quicker :D

My 6.5ss build will be a little on the heavy side with a 30" fluted heavy Palma. Barrel will be Nitrided as well. I am also a fan of HBN coated bullets.

As long as I have case capacity , I can't help but wonder what velocity I will get with this combo? Do not want to load to hot and burn the barrel but 3,300 fps should be pretty easy to obtain with 143 ELD"s

Looking forward to more testing from you and others!

Ray

I cannot tell you how happy I am that you are doing these tests Rich! As you know, I am building a 6.5ss and this stuff is helping the time pass a little quicker :D

My 6.5ss build will be a little on the heavy side with a 30" fluted heavy Palma. Barrel will be Nitrided as well. I am also a fan of HBN coated bullets.

As long as I have case capacity , I can't help but wonder what velocity I will get with this combo? Do not want to load to hot and burn the barrel but 3,300 fps should be pretty easy to obtain with 143 ELD"s

Looking forward to more testing from you and others!

Ray

Thanks Ray! Shooting is a tough job, but someone has to do it:D That rifle you are building should be a screamer. When I can reach 3300' with a 26" barrel, no nitride, and no HBN, you will have NO problem. You may be the first to hit 3400, even if you have to loosen a primer:D Seriously though, it should be a great shooting rifle.....Rich

You may be the first to hit 3400, even if you have to loosen a primer:D Seriously though, it should be a great shooting rifle.....Rich

Primers are cheap. Shooting glasses are relatively inexpensive also. It's the bolt faces that get costly... :)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.